What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Destiny 1, House Of Wolves, Dark Below, and Taken King: There are two things that would sink a game that didn't have as good shooting of half a billion dollars in investment.

-No in game map. There's still only the mini-map, and this is three years (?) after Destiny 1.
-Lore is still relegated to "look it up on Bungie.com" and guess what, they took that lore down.

But the gameplay loop is exquisite and Bungie's complete inability to write a story I care about is a plus, because I wanted a mindless shooter who'se story I could ignore and I got one.

Transistor - Pretty art style, fun and innovative combat system, cool sci-fi concepts that bleed over into magic, just enough storytelling, and some of the best music I've ever heard in a game. Can't really find a flaw in it. Everything about this game is right up my alley.

Fallout 3 GOTY Edition - Pretty sure I'm a little more than halfway through the main story? Doesn't really matter anyway, I just got lost in sidequest hell, which helped me create my character in my head better than the main plot. And by that I mean she would stand in a radioactive pool for twenty minutes just to help someone find out exactly how radiation affects people, and get a cool perk of regenerating limbs quicker when irradiated. Haven't had any of the Fun Bethesda Glitches(tm) yet, mostly just frustrating ones where my character ends up in a wall without a way to fast travel out since there's enemies I can't reach.

Dishonored - About 2/3 done with this game and it's a pretty fun experience. I mean, despite the constant reloading to make sure I don't accidentally kill people or cause too much chaos. Can't wait for 2 especially.

Final Fantasy VI - Just past the Floating Continent. This is the first FF game I've ever gotten far in and it's hard for me to imagine me liking another one as much as this.

Bully: Anniversary Edition for iOS.

I am a couple missions in and I really need a controller. That arrives tomorrow. I will probably start over then.

Recognizing that I am using the most offensive 4-letter word on our society, Jack Thompson is still a liar.

• 1 month later...

Hannah and I catch up on videogames:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Starforce Age-A fine old Final Fantasy romp. I'm glad they decided to speed the game up, because if they didn't, this would be a ponderous slog.
Overwatch-More of it. Still great. I know we're angry at "games as a service" and loot boxes, but Overwatch executes well enough that it's a fantastic argument in favor of the concept.
Dest1ny-Bungie is thrifty with characters. I see they decided to use the guy from Halo again. Gameplay loop is exquisite, though I can't do the epic raids because it requires teamwork and I don't have voice chat.
Wolfenstein: The New Order-Well, this game goes in. We're taking it in 1-2 hour chunks because of how intense the story can be.

Dave: Final Fantasy VI is great, but I'm of the age where it hit hardest.

FFXII: The Zodiac Age: God bless speed mode forever and ever amen. We didn't finish all the hunts, but we got the vast majority of them in, and it made killing the final clockwork steampunk crazy ass boss pretty damn easy. The improvements and a good dose of time have helped significantly in making people realize how good this game actually is.

Dest1ny: My boyfriend has somehow hooked up with a bunch of Italian players who are still playing this. I continue to cuddle next to him on the couch while he does this. No clue what's going on, but I'm cool with that. Getting Dest2ny tomorrow on sale, looking forward to seeing how it compares.

Wolfenstein: The New Order: Unsurprisingly the game that had Shit to Say about Nazis this year had some shit to say back in the day and goes in hard. We are going to have to take this in small chunks with a palate cleanser afterwards.

Overwatch: I AM NOW A MOIRA MAIN HELL YEAH. Or at least she is coming into my two character rotation of Lucio and Mei (and occasionally Sombra). Love her kit, her Bowie ass designs, and just about everything about her. Nothing more satisfying than draining another Moira to death or killing a Symmetra or Genji or Doomfist with a well placed drain orb and your drain. The Mercy nerf could probably reduce the cast time a bit and still be enough of a nerf that she's not constantly rezzing everyone and their mom, and I like that she's vulnerable during it again.

I've been playing randomized The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past a lot lately. Let me just say, the game becomes easier and harder. A recent run gave me the Hookshot and the first Armor Upgrade early but The Bow, which is in the first dungeon, alluded me for the longest time. Another factor is that I forgot about a cave that ended up having another critical item in it for the longest time since I usually skipped it back when I played the base game since it just had rupees which are basically useless by time you get to that point.

Pokémon Ultra Moon: If you’re a hardcore Pokémon fan (like me) or if you skipped regular Sun and Moon last year, this is fantastic. The difficulty has been ramped up and the story changes are really, really cool. The added features like Wormhole Running, and surfing from island to island are tremendously fun. 

Team Rainbow Rocket in the postgame is a pure nostalgia bomb, too. 

That said, there isn’t a massive amount of updated content. If you didn’t care for Sun and Moon, this won’t change your mind. 

• 1 month later...

I just finished playing 'The Sexy Brutale' which was recommended as part of Jim Sterling's end of year wrap up videos.

It's a really interesting puzzle/drama game where you need to save guests of the titular hotel from being killed by the staff all on the same day. You aren't allowed to be in the same room as any other character and they all have set direction and action paths that match the time of day, so you have to skulk around, observe and listen to your surroundings to figure out how to stop the murders from taking place.

Part Cluedo, part Majora's Mask, part Groundhog Day, part swing band concert.

The thing that really makes this game for me is the music. It's a great game - heartily recommend. I believe it's currently on sale.

• 3 weeks later...

They made it easy for me to leave Dark Souls behind by announcing a remaster for the PS4. Good thing I didn't try to beat Quelaag yet.

Got Dark Souls III, and I think I enjoy it a little more than Bloodborne at this point. The level design is really good, with an even better sense of direction. I don't think I've gotten lost or not had a sense of purpose as much as in the other Souls games, though I wonder how much of that is just familiarity with the series at this point. The combat just feels so good, blending Dark Souls intricacy with Bloodborne's intensity. The boss battles have been really good so far, with the only clunker being Cursed Rotted Greatwood. Abyss Watchers could be one of the best of the series, actually. 

Also, finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I think it could be my favorite of the series. I really fell for this cast of characters, in such a shorter span of time than I did with the Trilogy's cast. I enjoyed Sara Ryder's journey a lot, I feel there's so much more to build on here than with Shepard, who was already at their peak when the Trilogy started.

They had a good rate of success with the squadmates. Of course, the humans are the weak links, but I found moments to enjoy from Cora (that little scene with them growing flowers in Eos) and Liam (his hilarious loyalty mission). I also romanced Suvi, who was such a sweetheart. The aliens were great. Drack's wonderful, especially with other people. Vetra was hilarious, and had some of the best lines. I felt that Jaal was shoved down the player's throat too much, with him insisting to be on a good number of missions, but he was a really interesting character. And Peebee, dumb name aside, is now one of my favorites of the games. I loved the banter system they had, playing a line or two everytime you got on the Nomad, and reconfiguring them every other mission at the Tempest. Felt like the characters building up to be a team, and family, in an organic way.

Combat was really good, it's a little more chaotic than it was, but overall I had fun. I'm not sure if I prefer only having three skills at a time, as opposed to having a whole wheel available, but I enjoyed the loadout I had, only switching one thing out at a time. I always had backlash, the skill where you reflect shots back into enemies, because it's the single greatest pleasure to go "why are you hitting yourself" on bad guys.

I didn't mind lack of squad customization, honestly. I felt like managing their points was enough to make a difference without adding armor and weapons to the mix. 

Keeping in mind that I only got this last month, after all the patches have come out, I didn't encounter too much in the way of technical difficulties. Once I got locked out of a room for a quest, and at some point I encountered such bad lag I reinstalled the game wholesale. 

It's a shame that this game had to come out when it did, in an unfinished state and with all-time classics (Zelda, NieR, Horizon) at the same time. It could have been a great start, a better beginning to a series. But nobody can change that now, and that's fine. It's just a shame that its disastrous launch has seriously hurt Bioware, which is already in a precarious state. 

We're actually going to make an attempt to work on our video game backlog this year. Hopefully starting that tomorrow with a Pyre playthrough (we've been able to make it through Supergiant's other games in an afternoon or so, so hopefully that trend will continue). 

Jim still plays Dest1ny for unwinding times, I still play Overwatch at home because goddamn making 50 murders and doing 9k healing as Moira over the Lijiang Tower stage feels real good after a frustrating day at work. 

Meanwhile, though, I've finally started Chrono Trigger (this is the PS3 port of the PS1 port of the SNES game). I have managed to remain unspoiled for it thus far somehow, and we've just hit the part in 12k BC where shit appears to be going DOWN with Lavos (after the Mountain of Woe). I was a bit iffy until we hit roughly 65k BC and the story started to just start fucking sprinting. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow night. 

When you finally get to go to 12,000 BC, outside of getting to some of the game's best music, things get real. Fast.

Played through Batman: Arkham Asylum again. It's still a great game that has cripplingly bad boss fights. I've heard that most of the bosses in Arkham City (only got about 1 hour into it the first time) are better so looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Chrono Trigger yesterday. FUCK YEAH. I was slightly excessively overlevelled by the time I got to the final fight (didn't go through the Black Omen the additional two times and was still pushing level 54/55). I've unlocked the first ending, and am aware of all the other endings I can get - don't know if I'll go back into it right away to get them, but it's real good to know it's there. I understand why everyone loves this game so much. (We may do Chrono Cross next - Jim thinks he has it somewhere in the apartment.)

Jim still plays Dest1ny for unwinding times with occasional doses of Dest2ny, I still play Overwatch and love the Lunar New Year event. Gonna grind tonight while getting ready for ECCC.  

There are still a bunch of games I should really get to. Will try to work on that once I'm back from ECCC.