Mr. Keith

What games are you currently playing?

Finished Dark Souls III. Great stuff. Best boss battles in any Souls game I've played. Abyss Watchers, Nameless King, Dancer, all classics in my eyes. Locations are a bit repetitive, but when it opens up (Irithyll, Archdragon Peak, the last area) it's jawdropping. Combat and general gameplay feels so slick now, minus the usual framerate issues. I still prefer Bloodborne for the visceral combat (regain is the greatest innovation), aesthetic and lore, but overall this might be the best. Gonna try to finish the DLC, but Ariandel's final boss kicks my ass so hard.

Starbound - it's like Stardew Valley, Terreria, FTL and Gradius all merged nicely into one. Really good to play with a bunch of mates! 

Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle.

Seriously, if you're a Jason fan you need to give this a try. It's a free download on Steam, Android and iOS.

So I've recently been playing the Metro games on console, and I'm actually pretty impressed. Overall, I'm definitely enjoying Last Light more than I enjoyed 2033, but they're both very solid games. 

So I've finished God of War yesterday, and I've got a few thoughts on it. From a pure story standpoint, it's a very good soft reboot of Kratos and the God of War (no pun intended) mythos. The voice acting was good, the action and combat were excellent, and overall, I had fun playing it and experiencing it. 

Now, as for the elephant in the room: Does this game manage to redeem Kratos, and is he worth redeeming? Now, let me start this off by saying that my only experience with the franchise previous to this game was watching a let's play years and years ago. Basically, I was coming to this game with only the loosest ideas of who Kratos was as a person. That said, I think that this game absolutely makes Kratos into, if nothing else, someone who is believable. Personally, I found him to be very sympathetic, and someone who was realistically flawed, and realistically scarred from the experiences and horrors that plagued his life. 

Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 Collection - Bought this a few months ago when the release date of KH3 was revealed. This was my favorite series growing up, but I've only played the first three games released once, and I haven't played any of the others. The original Kingdom Hearts surprised me with how deep the combat grew to become. I expected it to be simple X mashing, and it kinda was, but swapping abilities really made a difference.

Skipped Chain of Memories, because that was fun for a GBA game, but I don't feel the need to revisit it, even remade.

385/2 Days was an interesting look at Roxas, Axel, and Xion. I imagine it'd be more engrossing to play, but the bonds between the characters felt real to me.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was also a surprise at the early stages. I always thought of it as my favorite Kingdom Hearts game, but playing it as an adult and falling in love with KH1's combat made for a jarring experience. The camera doesn't work for such a fast-paced game, and the pacing felt off to me. But then I fought a thousand Heartless in a single battle.

Still making my way through KH2, but the series definitely has me in its clutches still.

Spider-Man (PS4) - This is the game I've wanted and needed starring Spidey. God. It might not reinvent the open-world superhero genre (it even has the towers unlocking the map trope, which I didn't expect) but so far, it's doing everything so damn well. The stories of almost all the previous games (and I've played close to all of them) were an excuse to get Spidey punching villain to villain, this feels like an earnest attempt at a character-driven narrative. This might be the best the cast has been portrayed in forever.

The combat, while a huge shift for someone so versed in Spidey games, is much deeper than I thought it'd be. When you get on a nice combo, it looks really cool.

Also, with this being the first Spider-Man game I've played since moving to New York, I recognize a lot more of the locations (and where they compressed many parts of the city), so that's fun.