What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And finished it! 

Kingdom Hearts 3: Worth waiting since high school for. Is this perfect? Fuck no. The last part of the game feels pretty rushed in terms of wrapping up the story (and one character in particular getting the shaft), and the Frozen and Pirates worlds would be deeply improved by, say, a skip button. But the combat is fucking great (yes, it's a bit mashy between two buttons, but man if it doesn't flow like none other), the ability to switch between various forms for your Keyblade is wonderful (shield! magic guns! BEATING THE FINAL BOSS WITH A GODDAMN YO-YO), when the worlds hit the right notes they hit them hard (raise your hand if the Big Hero 6 world personally victimized you), and the music is amazing.They also added more save points during the endgame run, which, thank fuck. And yeah, there are deep nostalgia buttons that are hit with this game, but they hit them on the right notes, and I'm probably going to be playing through again. I would love to see DLC that gives us new worlds or expands the story (you can get through this in 30-40 hours, and while that's great, I expect significantly longer from a KH game).

Also, play the cooking minigame. Totally worth it. 

I beat it on Friday night myself and will echo what Hannah said. I don't think there was a really bad world in there though I know Hannah will say otherwise on Pirate World. I had fun and while I would have enjoyed having the game sooner, I am happy with the game I got. I'm doing some of the post-game stuff now since I figure, hey, I want to get my money's worth.

I feel like if we get DLC down the line, it'll be whenever they have the Final Mix ready since there's no reason in this day and age that we should pay another 60 bucks for a rebalanced game with different enemy palettes and a few extra cut scenes and a couple more side bosses.

Also: There might be some ingredients around here.

Playing Mega Man 11 and up to Wily's Tower. I consider myself a big Mega Man fan, although that mostly comes from playing Mega Man 8 at a young age, then moving on to the Mega Man X games which I've played most of the latter half in the series. 11 is very similar to 8 in that the boss/Robot Masters are carbon copies. Bounce Man is Clown Man, Fuse Man is Grenade Man, Tundra Man is Frost Man. I'm having fun though, although this is a much more challenging game than I anticipated. The music is also forgettable, whereas MM8 has some of the best 32 bit music in gaming as far as I'm concerned. But I hope to beat it this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon Age: Origins - In the middle of my first playthrough. God, BioWare RPGs are slow. Still, glad that I'm getting into this series, the characters are great, and I enjoy how much your choices are reflected, even in small ways. Which sounds a bit like the other game I've been playing lately...

Baldur's Gate - I've played D&D before, so some of the mechanics are familiar to me, but I've had to keep the guide open basically the whole time (what is this, like 3 editions back?). Still, having a great time with the witty bits of writing. I really like the cast, it's one of the more memorable sets I've seen from a BioWare game. I wish that they went somewhere when you dismiss them though.

I got a New 2DS XL recently, my first experience with a Nintendo console since trailing off somewhere in the middle of the DS's life. 

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Came with the system. This was a breeze. Some of the puzzles were a bit annoying, but overall very satisfying.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Haven't finished yet, only just got to adult Link, but it really is a great adventure. And as a Dark Souls fan, it's funny to see where the inspiration for different aspects of those games came from.

Mega Man X - From the Virtual Console. God this game was so hard, but then I got the right items, and I suddenly dashed through the whole game.

Resident Evil: Revelations - Impressive for a handheld. It's not very scary, but it's fun.

• 4 months later...

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Just finished my first round through Adventure Mode, which was a fun way to turn off my brain. As far as I can tell there’s a new game +, so I’ll probably do that too. Haven’t tried fighting online yet, should probably do that. 

Cadence of Hyrule: Yeah, this is Good Shit. Rhythm game plus Zelda plus rogue like elements (but what feels like way more player friendly from what I know of Crypt of the Necrodancer = fun times, for actual real. I generally use rhythm games to relax, but this was just straight up fun to do, especially as you got a hang of things and got better weapons. Did I play this through mostly as Zelda? Absolutely yes. Though I want to try this in 2P mode.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2017 at 12:02 PM, Venneh said:

Picked up Nier Automata. Still very early on (just finished the desert zone boss battle), but the level of detail in this game (all your weapons have a story behind them, the side quests are sweet and devastating - oh thanks for getting me the parts to repair my leg, but I don't know if I'm actually going to do that because that's the last original part of me I have left, and I'm not sure what it's gonna do to me when I replace it lololol) is amazing. It takes you a bit to find the rhythm of the combat if you haven't been playing it for a while, but once you do you figure out what to do pretty quick. And all the customization of the chips is fun to do. There's also a super neat feature where if you enable internet connectivity, you can use the corpses of other players either as battle companions for a short time, or salvage their bodies for new chips and items and money, and when you die, after salvaging your body in game, it can still be uploaded to the network for others to use. 

There's a huge standout moment to me, and this is still pretty early on in just the first route. This cutscene happens and transitions into this music for the boss fight, and I legit got shivers. I haven't been able to play this as much as I want, but I am really looking forward to getting more into this, as I know there's at least two more routes, and something like five to seven major endings (along with all the joke endings - don't eat the mackerel). 

I finally finished my first proper playthrough of this, two years later. And by playthrough, I have played through all three routes and achieved the five major endings (and a few joke endings too). I also got the end credits, and gifted my save to someone else, which means I’m now starting from square one again. 

Theres a reason this game has managed to hold its own, even being released in the same month as fucking Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I can’t believe I waited this long to seriously tackle it. It’s goddamn amazing. 

The controls can be a bit janky at times, and there are times that jumps don’t function correctly. Having to deal with one of our three characters not having proper non ripped clothing for part of her playthrough (PETITION TO PLEASE GET A2 SOME FUCKING PANTS OR MAYBE A GODDAMN SKIRT). But as rough as these things can be, they’re still pretty minor in the overall scheme of things. 

There are two moments that define my playthrough. 

The first was during a moment when I was playing as A2, when she’s getting to know Pascal’s village. I hadn’t saved in a hot moment, and I was in the process of getting the kids a slide. I accidentally triggered the events that led to Bad Things happening at the village. I closed the game, knowing I was about to lose a chunk of progress, because fuck this, I was going to get those kids their slide. And then everything that happens with that village happens, and I actually had to stop playing the game for a half hour because I was crying so hard. 

The second was the ending credits, or ending E. I suck, period, at shooters of that nature. I started crying at the encouraging messages, and when I accepted help, and the background chorus swelled up on the ending song, I was out and out bawling. And of course I gave up my save data. How could I not after that?

go play this game. There’s a game of the year edition out now. Enjoy the dlc where you can fight Squenix’s CEO. Fucking do it.

• 2 months later...

Just finished my second playthrough of Season 3 of The Walking Dead. At first, I didn't care about the Garcia family at all. It certainly was an interesting design decision to make Clem a secondary character / NPC. After I finished the game I liked it a bit more, and actually cared about the characters.

• 11 months later...

Finished playing Dragon Age II. And despite agreeing with the criticisms, mainly the passage of time feeling like a joke and repetitiveness in the mission structures (and areas, jeez), I really loved the characters and the tone of it. I don't prefer epic scale stories, so having this be mostly driven by the characters is perfectly fine by me. I never thought I'd love Varric to the extent that I do, Isabela is a riot, and Merrill is so adorable despite the absolute buffoonery she gets into.

It's similar to Mass Effect: Andromeda, another flawed but likable game (probably my favorite of that series, and yes I've played the trilogy), in that sense. 

I also got into Overland in a big way. I didn't think I'd get into strategy games, or procedurally generated characters, but I've done 7 runs and counting. I've heard it described as a post-apocalyptic Oregon Trail, which I can sorta see. The gameplay is limited enough that it's tense, but varied enough that you can come away with some really neat stories to tell.

I've been playing Hitman 2 for at least a month. What I love about this game is that, at its core, it's a puzzle game. Yeah, it's a puzzle game in which you take out bad people, but the fact that it can be played any way the gamer sees fit -- and that it's actively asking you to do so -- creates the potential for infinite fun. Sometime I go in looking for the Silent Assassin achievement, while other times I go full T-800 in the police station.

I only thought of this after you made your post, but maybe you should look into the Dishonored series, Mike. You play as various supernatural assassins throughout the games and you can approach a level in so many different ways, from lethal/non-lethal, cruel/kind or superpowered/grounded. Dishonored 2, in particular, has some of the most clever levels I've ever seen, like a mansion that rearranges itself and a place where you can travel between two timelines at will.

Avengers: This game is intensely frustrating. The actual gameplay is repetitive button-mashing in bases that are all 100% identical to each other that blur together that can get old fast. However, it's wrapped up in a really good story with KILLER voice acting. Kamala Khan steals the entire game. The characters all have vastly different fighting styles so you can change things up, and no lie, it's genuinely fun the have the Hulk just smash the shit out of everything.

There's probably 40+ hours of gameplay if you go through all the side missions and what have you, but the actual campaign is MAYBE 15 hours long. This is reasonably entertaining in chunks, but it's not a $60 experience.

"Suffering" is way overstating it. The good stuff is genuinely fun. I just wish it were a lot more consistent.

Also, it would REALLY like you to pay for shit like costumes, fighting combos, etc.

When it dips below $20 I would totally recommend it as the game you play between big, 60+ hour epics.

Yeah, you don't have to wait too long for games to get cheap nowadays. The Avengers seems like a perfect "wait until they've worked out the problems" game. That or just watch the cutscenes.

In the early parts of Dragon Age: Inquisition, and it's such a big leap into next-gen for Dragon Age, while still retaining a good deal of the core of it. In the big picture, it's not far from Origins in how wide open it is, but fun and vibrant in a way closer to DA2. I'm still not finding my Inquisitor's personality the way I did my Hawke, but I think the roleplaying is pretty good (dear God, some dialogue goes on for so long and gives you so many options). There are so many mechanics at play too, it took me quite a few hours before I got into the crafting system. 

There's a little too much, honestly. The open world can get mind-numbing like how Mass Effect: Andromeda dumps errands on you (that's even how they're referred to in the quest log) with little meaningful reward or effect. Eventually I found a point where I had enough levels to justify skipping them, hoping I find that soon for this game.

It makes me glad I played Andromeda first (a game I have a lot of affection for), as I'm pretty sure this would've soured me on that title.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: AC goes full MMO design. There's too much procedurally generated in this game. Daily refreshing challenges, quests that are too similar to one another, a map that's simply too big. The mercenary system, where you have mini-bosses tracking you based on your notoriety, walks the line between fun random encounters to groaning as you enter a city to realize there are 5 different mercs coming for you at the same time.

The story, which I doubt I'm more than halfway through, is actually really interesting, plus the gameplay is really fun and over-the-top. I love the gear that you get a ton of, they're really well-designed. The humor is excellent.

When it's stuff that's personally crafted, like you hunting bears for their testicles to make an aphrodisiac for an old man, it's really fun. When you do the same for a dozen generic NPCs just for the EXP and money, not as much.