What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

DS - Theme Park (great sim... I love that micro-management stuff)

360 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance (great game... button mashing, but pretty cool story wise)

Dreamcast - Marvel vs. Street Figher 2 (went old school here, but when my 360 was in the shop this came out of the closet and I haven't stopped playing it... I've unlocked almost everything)

Hmm, looking at this I should really focus on work more... ah "F" that.

I'm with DRQ in the FF thread about the final boss in FFIII being a total bitch. I don't know what level I'm suppose to be at to even stand a chance against her, but it has to be way higher than I'm at right now. And I thought 54 was a pretty decent one.

Oh, it's time for a rant then... :smile:

What pissed me off even more about her is every time I level up a few times and think I might have a legitimate shot at her, I do even worse than I did the previous time. The first time I fought her, I took off right around 100,000 HP before she obliterated me (she's got around 120K). I've never taken off that much since. My levels are right around the same level as your's, too.

Her timing is what kills me. My party has a ninja, a dragoon, a summoner and one of those super white mages (devout? I can't remember the name...) and every round I'll do the same thing: Throw shuriken, jump, summon Bahamut and curaja the whole team. It'll usually take off between 15-25K HP a round (depending on when the dragoon lands) and in theory should heal everybody up from the damage she spits out. But she likes to change her attack timing so that she strikes after the mage has healed everyone, then attack next round before the mage gets her turn. Terribly frustrating, I think I'm going to have to convert my dragoon to another ninja and my summoner to another white megamage.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you didn't have to beat four side-bosses and watch about fifteen minutes of unskippable cutscenes just to get to her. Put a save point before that final teleporter, you heartless bastards!

Back on topic: I'm finally working my way through Resident Evil 4.

I'm gonna try to reach 60. I'm already at 57 now and have to build up a couple different classes, so I might as well buildmy character levels up higher. I have two ninjas, which the strategy guide suggested you have, a sage(Even though I'm thinking about going back to the devoute) and a knight, which I'd rather not change if I can.

Three things happened there.

The first is that Jen and I moved. That ate nearly every waking hour between December and the end of April.

Second, I stopped taking the train. I know it sounds silly, but that's where I was devoting most of my FF time. With gas prices the way they currently are ($3.62 / gallon), I'll be taking the train more often, which should allow me to get back into this.

Lastly, when I found something to write about (e.g. there was a room I thought I was trapped in and the only way out appeared to be death, which would have led to a piece about my obsessive fear of death), other things got in the way of writing (RE: the move).

I will get back to the series. In fact, just this morning I was thinking about writing up some thoughts about FF1 (such as the aforementioned topic, how / when I beat the game, why there hasn't been a second column, etc.), but fixing issues I'm having with the fourth episode of World's Finest Podcast and prepping for Earth-2.net: The Show 100 is consuming a lot of my time. Once all this cools down, another entry should hit the site. So... mid-ish June.

To drq, in FFIII, do you have to face every boss in the darkworld? I've faced the second version of the final boss twice now and she's destroyed me with a blow that takes 9999 life to all members. I'm at lvl 62 with almost everyone and I can't even survive the first screen. So am I suppose to fight everyone in that area or am I doing something else wrong?

--edit--Answered my own question. Went to beat all the bosses afterwards, and STILL could not beat her. Stood a chance, but she still kicked my sorry ass with slight ease. I'd have an easier time if she didn't stun/ turn all my characters into frogs.

I now see what everyone was saying about this. It takes waaaay too long to get to her and beating her is just a bitch.

Yeah, you have to beat all the bosses in the dark world to even get to the point where it's possible to beat her. Otherwise, it's a nice collection of 9999 attacks. You can also get around the status effects by picking up the ribbons in treasure chests on the way to each of the four dark world bosses, but to get each of them you have to beat another (fairly easy, but still lengthy) extra boss. So actually if you don't want to die within moments and don't want to get turned into a frog, you have to fight eight bosses, watch ten minutes of conversation and weather fistfuls of extra-hard random encounters. THEN you have to beat that pain in the ass boss. Unsurprisingly, I've put the game aside for the time being and plan to finish it at a later date. WHY couldn't they just put a save point right behind that final teleporter? WHY.

It's just a temporary save. If you die, you lose everything and have to start back at the point you saved it at. Which has to be outside the castle.

Do the ribbons cure from being turned into a frog? I actually beat all four of those mini bosses, but had no idea what the point of those were.

Yeah, the quicksaves are a bunch of crap. As soon as it's saved, it does the handy "the system will now shut down" thing that so many DS apps seem to love and when you load it, the quicksave disintegrates. You're stuck using your last "real" save if you die. It's very nearly pointless. I can understand why it's there, but it's just... awful.

Ribbons are an accessory with very good stats, and the handy ability to negate all status effects. So the frog status just never happens to the characters who are wearing them.

I just bought a DS Lite today (~!!) and my first game (well, first game since selling all my old DS stuff) is Pokemon Pearl. I've always had a soft spot for these games, and everyone is raving about Diamond/Pearl, so I caved in. Seems like more people are buying Diamond (everywhere I go, there are fewer copies of Diamond than Pearl), though.

If anyone wants to do trades or what-not once I've logged some hours, let me know.