What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand Theft Auto 4 (360) - Not terribly impressed so far. The TV stations are fantastic, but the general lack of interactivity in a lot of the interior areas is disheartening. So far, the only major difference that I can tell is that everything's prettier.

Put a couple more hours into it. The control is still pretty awful. The counterattacking in fights is stupidly effective, but at the same time, the timing on it is inconsistant as hell, so a mere few milliseconds means the difference between an instant kill and getting stabbed in the face.

There's also this rather annoying mission where Neko has to break a window to get someone's attention, so the game tells you to find an object to use. You can't pick up any of the thousands of trashcans nearby. Instead you have to check the radar and pick up a specific brick that the game wants you to use. So then I go back to the window, throw the brick, and it bounces off. I throw the brick again, and it goes through the window into the building. After about 5 minutes of this, I realize that you can only throw the brick through one of the two windows to the side. It's this kind of thing that annoys me with sandbox games.

I'm not huge on the way that you're constantly bombarded with cell phone calls every time your in the middle of something. I'll say this much though, I am intrigued by the way the game keeps track of your relationships with various people. I haven't seen how far it goes, but I imagine people will treat you like shit if you ignore them.

Put a couple more hours into it. The control is still pretty awful. The counterattacking in fights is stupidly effective, but at the same time, the timing on it is inconsistant as hell, so a mere few milliseconds means the difference between an instant kill and getting stabbed in the face.

There's also this rather annoying mission where Neko has to break a window to get someone's attention, so the game tells you to find an object to use. You can't pick up any of the thousands of trashcans nearby. Instead you have to check the radar and pick up a specific brick that the game wants you to use. So then I go back to the window, throw the brick, and it bounces off. I throw the brick again, and it goes through the window into the building. After about 5 minutes of this, I realize that you can only throw the brick through one of the two windows to the side. It's this kind of thing that annoys me with sandbox games.

I'm not huge on the way that you're constantly bombarded with cell phone calls every time your in the middle of something. I'll say this much though, I am intrigued by the way the game keeps track of your relationships with various people. I haven't seen how far it goes, but I imagine people will treat you like shit if you ignore them.

I got the brick through the window first try. I constantly put the phone on silent to go exploring. The controls are horrible. You should have seen me the first time I got control and tried to leave the apartment. I walked around the stairwell for a good 2 minutes trying to leave. I definitely hate the unarmed combat. I got randomly attacked by two guys outside the cousins cab company(I never found out why), and was quickly defeated because I didn't have the buttons memorized.

The brick thing was more about the forced limits in a game that's supposed to have so much freedom. You have to put this item through this window. It just takes me out of the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly been catching up on stuff for my next Top Ten column.

Here's what I've been playing on the side.

SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 (PS2) - There's no reason you shouldn't have this right now. Absolute steal.

Kolibri (32X) - Undoubtedly the best hummingbird shooter of all time.

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP) - Finally found a good copy of this yesterday.

The weird thing is that the levelling system is not as bad as you think.

There’s a genuine experience system that’s handled in the background, but because it’s hidden and level ups are shown via the reels, it appears random.

Everything in the game seems random.

SNK Arcade Classics: Honestly, it was worth $20 for me just to get Last Resort and Magican Lord, but having Metal Slug, World Heroes, Baseball Stars 2 and the golf game sealed the deal. Even if you buy it and break it out every so often, it's 20 for 16 awesome games.

Virtua Tennis 3 (360) Awesome game that is my new addiction. Just so much fun.

SF Anniversary Collection (X-Box on a 360) SF3 Third Strike=greatest fighting game of all time. I can almost dupe myself into thinking KOTF 11 sometimes, but then I pop this in and am reminded about how wrong I am.

The World Ends With You.

It’s been fun so far. Combat is incredibly frantic though, which hasn’t been too much of a problem, considering how effective button mashing is on regular enemies. The boss at the end of the first week has put a stop to that though; I seriously have no idea how I’m going to beat him.

I think I’ll submit a review to the site for it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went back to Assassin's Creed and figured out the combat and now it will be a breeze to go through. I've been buying games on eBay for less than 10 bucks a pop. I'll be going through all those games I missed now. Prey, Stranglehold, and Just Cause were all 2.50-7.00 each. I also picked up Gears of War for the Xbox 360 at work.

Other than that WoW takes up most of my free time. That is until Warhammer Online comes out next month.