What games are you currently playing?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started Shadow of Destiny on the PS2, we'll see if I can get through it this time. Was deciding between this, Mercenaries, or the MGS trilogy (never beat the third and am interesting in playing the fourth...someday down the line? I went with Shadow of Destiny because I needed something a bit lower key then usual.

My biggest problem isn't how dated it looks, it's that the main character is and sounds like a f*cking idiot. Come on.

I'm at 95 of 96 levels in Super Mario World, and I'm fucking pissed, as I can't figure out what level/exit I missed.

I'm taking the edge of by playing a bit of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which (beware of blasphemy here) I believe is a fuck of a lot better than OOT. Hell, I thought Majora's Mask was better than OOT, too.

Did you get the Super Secret Area? The one on the second island with the free Yoshi and power ups? It's unlocked from a ghost house and it's easy to miss.

Yup, I think I missed a Yoshi winged exit somewhere or another.

And Majora's Mask is the best 3D Zelda they made.

2nd.

And Majora's Mask is the best 3D Zelda they made.

I still like Ocarina better. MM's world wasn't as fun for me to explore, which was the biggest aspect of OoT that I liked. And the timer was just annoying, since my favorite aspect of the Zelda games is their openness.

My Zelda list, from favorite to least-favorite (not counting handhelds), goes:

Ocarina of Time

Wind Waker

A Link to the Past

Majora's Mask

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda II

Twilight Princess

I think the pointer adds so much to Twilight Princess, there's no way I can put it below #2.

See, I think that the waggle sword attacks were so counter-intuitive and laggy that they counterbalanced the archery.

Also, Link was not the main character, which bothered me. I mean, Princess Zelda almost never addressed Link directly until the end of the game.

I dug the waggle sword, myself, and I really liked Link taking a back seat. Link is boring as hell. Midna was cool, and Ganondorf was as big of a badass as he's ever been.

Ohhhhhh, see, I love Link. He doesn't exactly have a strong characterization because the player lives through him. (hence his name "Link," for the "link" that the player has to him) I always liked the other Zelda games because they made me feel like I was actually the one doing everything. In Twilight Princess, I felt like I was awkardly sitting around while everyone else was doing important stuff.

In the first Scarecrow part where you walk into the morgue, were the bodies on the table the first time you walked in? They weren't for me. I walked back out through the door I entered and ended up right back in the same room, but with the bodies on the table. Everyone I talked to said that didn't happen to them.

The Google Maps powered Monopoly City Streets is getting competitive. Almost all of the roads in the major cities have been bought up and now its just guys bulldozing each others properties and handicapping each other with factories and toxic waste plants. Its just going to be a bitter war of aggression to see who breaks and starts selling off streets.

Personally I'm happy to hand on to my own little kingdom and build capitol to up the value of my properties when I get the bulldoze card.

Finished Shadow of Destiny (pS2) for the first time. I liked it, but not enough to go out and see the 6 other endings and all the other stuff you can mess around with.

Thinking Stuntman: Ignition is next in line. I'm going to finish as much of MY PS2 library before I upgrade to a no reverse compatability PS3, because that PS2 is getting packed away into a box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halo 3: ODST is damn good. The Night Vision effects are superb, and that whole half of the game creates a whole new way to play Halo. Running around a vaguely open plan city crawling with bad guys trying to find clues that unlock the playable events that your missing squad members did just hours before during daylight, its genius. Plus there's enough traditional Halo stuff in those daylight sections to make the game consistent with the franchise, plenty of vehicle battles and a great variation of tasks and environments. The earth-only setting and the complete absence of Flood (I'm never playing the puckered digestive system that is the flood ship in Halo 3 ever again) makes this focus on the good things about the mythos. I'm going to have to go back and play Halo 2 again just to re familiarise myself with the storyline. Firefight is great too. You pick and environment and then try to stay alive as long as possible against wave after wave of Covenant ships and troops, its a really nice idea. I wish you had a bit more of a cache of human weapons available but its still a lot of nail biting fun.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - DS

I found this in a bargain bin along with Dragon Quest 4, and I decided to pick both up since I'd heard good things about them. I think this is the first Dragon Quest related game I've actually played (outside of the demo of DQ8). It's a top down zelda-ish adventure game with giant tank battles. It's been fun so far, the adventure stuff feels pretty standard, but the tank battles have been a blast. I think I'll get a few more hours out of it yet. It's a bit repetitive, but my one big gripe is that I've always heard the Dragon Quest games were known for their overuse of puns, and now I can see where people are coming from :P.

Psychonauts - Xbox

I own the PS2 version, but there's a huge difference in quality between the two versions. The PS2 version feels like a quick and dirty port, with drastically downgraded visuals. But I never saw the Xbox version around, and being in Australia meant downloading it would be a chore. But hey, I did it anyway, and I'm glad I did. I fully admit I love it for the dialogue more than anything else, but there's some fantastic set pieces in here, and the powers are fun to use. I love exploring the world, talking to people, and finding all the cool things that are hidden around each level. The platforming itself is really uneven though, and at times downright frustrating. It’s still a great game though.

Lucidity – 360

Until today, I thought LucasArts had ceased being a developer or something. In any case, this is a downloadable puzzle platformer. It’s a little hard to describe exactly what it is. Basically, the goal is to keep this little girl from getting hurt by placing platforms, stairs, little trampolines and other objects in her path. Regardless of what you do, she’ll keep moving forward, so you’re constantly moving around the screen to put different objects in front of her. I guess it’s sort of like Lemmings meets Braid. I wish I liked it more than I do, but the world feels so barren and uninteresting. It’s still pretty (I love the art style) but I wish there was more to it, both in terms of visuals and gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...