Obi-Wan Kenobi v Yoda

Missy

Who wins...?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: While his passive manner might have fooled many into thinking he was nothing more than a crazy, reclusive old man, Kenobi staved off many challengers, including hordes of robot troopers, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, General Grievous and Darth Vader. In the end, Obi-Wan allowed his former student to slay him so he could guide Luke Skywalker from the netherworld.

Yoda: The ultimate Jedi, if there ever was one. At nearly 900 years old, Yoda had learned every aspect of the Force that a Jedi possibly can. Wise and meditative, the diminutive man rarely wielded his saber, but, when he did, he was truly a force to be reckoned with. Despite his age, Yoda had amazing agility that allowed him to zip around while slicing his foes into pieces. To say he was "strong in the Force" is an insult, as he was able to control/lift/throw objects (including an X-Wing) many times his size and weight. Though he was somewhat cranky and could be perceived as arrogant, Yoda was always mindful of the Force and could sense occurrences that were both yet to come and those that were transpiring many light-years away.

Like the first setence in Yoda's description says, "The ultimate Jedi, if there ever was one." As good as Obi Wan may be, I just think that anybody would have a difficult time stepping up to Yoda in his prime, and I highly doubt that they'd end up on the winning side of things. His knowledge in the force is just too great for Ben to match up against, and that would lead to Yoda's victory.

See, but Yoda gave up during his battle with Sidious, and that speaks volumes to me. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, never gave up during a fight, not even if it meant he had to kill his best friend.

Here we go, here are the finals!

I'm obviously voting for Obi-Wan (my avatar and member title say as much), but I don't have the time or energy to explain why right now.

Really, 'cause, you know, your name makes it a lot less obvious as to which you're voting. :P

As to my vote, and I am strickly going by what I have seen in the cinema, my logic is as follows:

Yoda + Dooku fought to a standstill at the end of AotC.

Dooku was killed by Anakin Skywalker.

Anakin Skywalker was defeated by Kenobi.

Thus, Yoda<Kenobi

I'll go with Yoda. He had absolutely everything - knowledge of the Force, wisdom, foresight, unparalleled saber skills. He was truly the greatest Master and, as good as Obi-Wan was, no one else was in his league. Anakin Skywalker may have been the Chosen One, Luke Skywalker may have had every ounce of his father's potential and Kyp Durron may have had more raw Force power than both of them but none of them holds a candle to Yoda. I shudder to think how strong he would have been during his prime.

Maybe in Yoda's prime he'd have won, but Yoda isn't in his prime during these movies. Yoda's stronger in the force, but Obi-Wan's got the better lightsaber skills, and the better win-loss record. Only thing Yoda's got going for him is his ability to throw things with the Force. Like somebody else said, Obi's got problems with that.

Okay, here's the problem: the thing we have to consider is how strong each man was during the films. Because the prequels showed Obi-Wan in his prime, we can gather how strong he truly was. However, Yoda is not shown in his prime. Granted, he's still very strong, but not as strong as he would have been hundreds of years prior. So that part of Yoda's life is irrelevant. So this is basically Episode III Obi-Wan v Episode II-III Yoda.

Having said that, let's review each man's highs and lows from said films.

Obi-Wan:

- Knocked out by Darth Tyranus; pinned under debris.

+ Killed General Grievous, who was wielding four sabers.

+ Survived an attack by the Clone Troopers.

+ Teamed with Yoda to break into the Jedi temple;, killed many Clone Troopers.

+ Beat Anakin Skywalker.

Yoda:

- Fought Darth Tyranus to a standstill.

- Fought Darth Sidious to a standstill.

+ Decapitated two approaching Clone Troopers without looking at them.

+ Teamed with Obi-Wan to break into the Jedi temple; killed many Clone Troopers.

When you look at it, neither man could best Tyranus, but Obi-Wan was able to beat Anakin (the so-called chosen one) whereas Yoda could not beat Darth Sidious. And as many of us have said, it downright appeared as if Yoda gave up. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, never quit. As much as it pained him, he knew he had to kill Anakin. And while he didn't deliver the deathblow (I think he assumed the lava would do that), he sliced three of the man's limbs off, did nothing to save him from the lava and left him for dead.

That, in my book, gives Obi-Wan Kenobi the edge and makes him the winner.

Maybe it's fanboyism, maybe it's the fact that Bridges over the River Quay isa great movie, I don't know, what I do know is that Obi-Wan proved that we could do almost anything when he put his mind to it.

The only thing....... I think Obi-Wan is in awe of Yoda, like a 60's teenager at a Beetles concert. If he can overcome that, then he should be fine, but it is a tough call.

I voted Obi-Wan, but I'm not 100% confident on it.

Well, I voted Yoda but I'm beginning to have second thoughts. I don't think the battle would be much of a force war but would rather be a test of lightsaber skills. At the time of ROTS, Obi-Wan is far more proficient than Yoda with a lightsaber in hand. Yoda would own him with raw force power and the ability to use force lightning and telekinesis but Obi-Wan would probably win the lightsaber duel. Yoda's speed and mobility allows him to survive for longer but wouldn't allow him to make too many penetrating strikes. Obi-Wan's Soresu style allows him to soak up all that jumping, hopping and flipping around and then strike on the counter.

After thinking about it for a while, I voted for Obi-Wan Kenobi. Yoda has to use a lot of the Force just to get around, and would tire out eventually. Obi-Wan just keeps on going without thinking about quitting, and would eventually find a weakness in Yoda. So I'm going against what is said in my avatar, and voting for Obi-Wan.

Obi Wan would win a fight in a wide open location, like the Dune Sea of Tatooine or something, where any force prowess Yoda could use to his advantage would not be directly offensive. Were the fight to take place in an enclosed environment, with many loose items, Yoda would take it because it would be all that Obi Wan could do to defend against the projectiles, much less parry in lightsaber combat with one as skilled as Yoda.

So, Yoda. If I were to pick a random fight location from the movies, it is most likely in an environment where force ability would be the more important determining factor.

Only Sith use Force Lightning.  Yoda simply deflects it.

Not so anymore. In the final book of the NJO Luke uses Force Lightning on a Yuuzhan Vong warrior about to attack Jacen and Jaina Solo. He extends his left hand and sends a tangle of blinding raw energy manipulated into being by the Force toward the Vong warrior. It is dangerously close to using the dark side, but no more so than Vaapad.

Heh, I wonder how many non Oratory guys out there are going "What the fuck is Nashism?" right now.

How many non Oratory guys are there on here. Most I've seen post at both.

Only Sith use Force Lightning.  Yoda simply deflects it.

Not so anymore. In the final book of the NJO Luke uses Force Lightning on a Yuuzhan Vong warrior about to attack Jacen and Jaina Solo. He extends his left hand and sends a tangle of blinding raw energy manipulated into being by the Force toward the Vong warrior. It is dangerously close to using the dark side, but no more so than Vaapad.

Except, you know, Luke was a Sith once if we're counting EU. And we're not. So technically Yoda's point may still be valid. I prefer the RPG take, it is more exhausting for Jedi to use it than Sith, but it is available to everyone. The same goes for more light-sided powers, like force healing.