Episode 125

RSS

Dan and Mike are old. And grumpy. But that's nothing new. So what is new? A genuinely good Christmas-themed episode of Doctor Who, that's what! Sure, it has flying sharks and an operatic voice that tames the sky, but "A Christmas Carol" has a lot of heart and solid acting. From there the guys lament the Doctor Who-related 2011 National Television Awards sketch, and have fun with the two-part mini-story "Space" / "Time." [ 1:06:28 || 32.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_125.mp3

Having now watched the National Television Awards skit, I'll quasi-defend it.

As Mike said, it is a different pop cultural mindset. America aside, most countries' celebrities - particularly those based solely in television - tend not to be big in terms of international exposure. It reminds me of the Canadian comedian Dave Broadfoot's line "American celebrities need crowd control; Canadian celebrities need nametags!"

Now none of the jokes are chuckle-worthy, even when you know who shows up and what they're famous for. At best, I liked the idea that Amanda Holden (don't ask) became Prime Minister, and that's solely through Matt Smith's delivery of "The Holden years". The Ant & Dec segment was similarly a jab at the fact they'd spent the majority of their joint careers standing side by side, and raised a smile. As for the rest, it was lowest common denominator light entertainment, and as the National Television Awards is broadcast on ITV, that's pretty apt.

It's not something I'd watch again, but it's hardly the worst thing ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Having now watched the National Television Awards skit, I'll quasi-defend it.

It's not something I'd watch again, but it's hardly the worst thing ever.

It does feature the return to Doctor Who of June Brown - star of Pertwee's "The Time Warrior" (Lady Eleanor). And a return to Eastenders' Albert Square (of Dimension in Time fame).