The Simpsons: The Movie

Missy

• 8 months later...

Malpractice: Concerning what you said about the movie in the WFP 7 feedback thread, I think it boils down to age. I'm 29. I recall watching the show mature from the shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show into its own show. I was there from the beginning, and those early seasons were funny, mature at times, moving and the characters had depth. Then something happened during the 10th season and it all went downhill. Every single time I turn the show on nowadays Homer is yelling in pain or has fallen ass backwards into a scheme. Did that happen pre-season 10? Yes. But not as often as it seems to now.

For people your age, Malpractice, all you know is the show post-season 10. That's not to say you haven't seen pre-season 10 episodes, but you grew up with the post-10 shows so that's your golden era (so to speak). I've honestly heard people under 21 (some as old as 25) claim pre-season 10 episodes are "boring," "stupid" and "slow."

That said, will I see the movie? Only if Jenny wants to. My faith in the show has fallen so low that I don't care about the movie. At all.

Malpractice: Concerning what you said about the movie in the WFP 7 feedback thread, I think it boils down to age. I'm 29. I recall watching the show mature from the shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show into its own show. I was there from the beginning, and those early seasons were funny, mature at times, moving and the characters had depth. Then something happened during the 10th season and it all went downhill. Every single time I turn the show on nowadays Homer is yelling in pain or has fallen ass backwards into a scheme. Did that happen pre-season 10? Yes. But not as often as it seems to now.

For people your age, Malpractice, all you know is the show post-season 10. That's not to say you haven't seen pre-season 10 episodes, but you grew up with the post-10 shows so that's your golden era (so to speak). I've honestly heard people under 21 (some as old as 25) claim pre-season 10 episodes are "boring," "stupid" and "slow."

That said, will I see the movie? Only if Jenny wants to. My faith in the show has fallen so low that I don't care about the movie. At all.

I don't think the whole age thing really matters. I'm 20 and I grew up with the earlier seasons of the Simpsons. For reasons I can’t remember, I stopped watching around Season 9 and when I did start watching again I was shocked at how far the show had fallen.

Most of the conversations with people around my age about The Simpsons lead to the same general consensus, that the Simpsons has had a considerable drop in quality. I don’t think I’ve met anyone that found Seasons 3-9 boring.

I'm the same Yoda.

However, while I think that the heyday of the Simpsons is seasons 6-10 (absolute brilliance), the show is still the sharpest satire and one of the funniest shows on television today.

Besides Stewart, Colbert, Family Guy and the Office there is nothing out there even remotely in competition with this show.

I'm the same Yoda.

However, while I think that the heyday of the Simpsons is seasons 6-10 (absolute brilliance), the show is still the sharpest satire and one of the funniest shows on television today.

Besides Stewart, Colbert, Family Guy and the Office there is nothing out there even remotely in competition with this show.

I would put South Park in there with those shows if you are talking about sharp satire.

I'm the same Yoda.

I would put South Park in there with those shows if you are talking about sharp satire.

I can't get past the fart jokes and juvenalia but yes I'm aware of it's satire. I don't think it's anywhere in the same league as those I mentioned.

Malpractice:For people your age, Malpractice, all you know is the show post-season 10. That's not to say you haven't seen pre-season 10 episodes, but you grew up with the post-10 shows so that's your golden era (so to speak). I've honestly heard people under 21 (some as old as 25) claim pre-season 10 episodes are "boring," "stupid" and "slow."

that's not true at all. I have been watching The Simpsons since i was an infant with The Tracy Ullman shorts and i kind of grew up as the show grew up and i kind of view the show (as pathetic as it sounds) as almost a parental figure. My favorite season is Season 3 when Al Jean and Mike Reiss were at the top of their game and i feel the show has never again reached the greatness of this season (Josh Weinstein and Bill Oakley run came close though). That being said it dosen't mean i don't love seasons 1-10 and even have found some gems in later seasons. Also i am 21 and almost all friends my age that are fans of the show all feel seasons 1-10 are the best of the show and i have found very few people who enjoy episodes post season 11-12.

Oh yea and as i said in a different thread, The Simpsons Movie was excellent. I've already seen it twice.

I'll throw in my two cents. Haven't seen the movie, but I probably will eventually. It's apparently better than anything the show's done in years. As for the series, the classic era is 2-8, with my rankings going as follows: 4>2>5>7>6>3>8. I bought season 9 with high hopes, but I really find it mediocre and I have no desire to purchase any of the seasons to follow it.

'Family Guy''s a load of trash, but I watch it because I have nothing better to do at 3:00 in the morning when I can't get to sleep. Never seen 'South Park'; don't really care to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the minority that really dug the movie. I went in with low expectations, got hit with a big early laugh (the skateboarding scene) and never looked back. Very entertaining, didn't try to force in too many "OMG we aren't on network TV now we can do all sorts of risky stuff" segments and a plot that didn't run too long or too short. I didn't like that they tried to cram every single secondary character in, but that's such a minor thing it didn't affect the way I felt about the overall package.