Gotham

dc20willsave

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says "Based on the characters from DC Comics."

That's not unusual, but I thought the Bob Kane credit was a contractual obligation. That's amazing.

That actually reminds me of when they credited the creators of every character except Batman in the Robot Chicken DC special.

There's basically two shows going on here. Gotham Central is the one I like more. Batman Babies makes me want to create a drinking game.

This. It was okay but not amazing. I liked the guy playing Cobblepot quite a bit, but on the whole the GCPD stuff was far superior to the "Hey, this one's gonna be Poison Ivy someday" stuff.

the GCPD stuff was far superior to the "Hey, this one's gonna be Poison Ivy someday" stuff.

More like the "Hey this IS Poison Ivy RIGHT NOW" stuff. That's part of what I hated so much. They spelled everything out like I was a five year old. "Look here's a girl dressed in a tight black suit stealing things and feeding cats." You're telling me that she had been doing this exact stuff since she was ten and there was no specific event to lead her to this lifestyle? That is God stupid.

Look here's a fast talking guy who's obsessed with riddles. Here's a weird aloof "plant freak" girl. Here's a short fat guy with an umbrella whose nickname is "the penguin"?! I-I don't think I quite get it yet, give me a few more hints.

We're not learning about how they got to be this way, they're just already insane. That is so much less interesting. I wanted to see a pre-mental breakdown, Oswald Cobblepot, instead I just see a young version of The Penguin.

They should have shown us people who we don't immediately recognize, facing severe emotional trauma or abuse compounded with living in a crime ridden city. Their mental state begins steadily deteriorating as they're comic-persona start to shine though and finally Batman's appearance is the last straw. That's one of the most interesting parts of the modern Batman mythos, that it wasn't until Batman's arrival that all these freaks started to come out of the woodwork. Remember in The Long Halloween when Gordon implies that Batman is the cause of all the madness in Gotham and Batman refuses to accept it. That's fascinating.

Instead, the show gives us what is essentially a live action version of "Gotham High," you know, that terrible April Fools Day joke from a few years back. Where everyone has already settled into their over-the-top personas for no discernible reason except so dumb TV watchers can congratulate themselves for recognizing that "oh yeah, that's the penguin!"

A hugely missed opportunity. That and the show is just fucking terrible in every other aspect as well.

Episode 2 nailed a consistent tone. I like it a lot. Goofy as all hell. I liked the new villains, I thought Penguin was great and Selina didn't bug me so much. I'm in for a few more episodes.

However, I can't be the only one who has noticed that ...

PHj0ROG6z5dDmo_1_m.jpg

...looks a hell of a lot like...

00984686958dd81d83fa2e2a484cb5e4.jpg

Family resemblance, much?

So, Episode three was legitimately good fun. I'm not even going to complain about Bruce, because while we did get his whiny shit, we also got the awesome cane fight between him and Alfred.

Minor spoiler, but it's so awesome:

Lt. Cranston was murdered by Balloonman/Lamont disguised as... THE SHADOW. "Lamont Cranston knows the evil that lurks in the hearts of men!"

Also: Bullock was totally ready to murder Ballonman, which is phenomenal.

Good stuff all around, Cobblepot continues to rule this show, and I'm so pumped to see David Zayas working as Sal Maroni. I'm looking forward to next week.

This has been way better than I feared, the only villain who annoyed me with his blatantness was Eddie wink wink nod geddit he's the Riddler Nygma. It's far from being another Smallville, it feels like Penguin's getting an actual arc and thankfully the show has Gordon to base itself around so the pressure to progress isn't all on Bruce, although to be honest I think they'll struggle to keep Bruce and Alfred involved in interesting ways.

Still, example vigilantes are a nice idea, and there's quite a few villains and characters who can make pre-Batman appearances as part of the fabric of Gotham.