Episode 24: Torque

RSS

Let me preface this by saying I've already listened to the first hour, so I've already head the spot-on Ramones rant.

That said, and I shit you not, as I was posting this episode on the site, a Ramones-shirt-wearing 20-year-old woman came into my work. The irony of the situation nearly made me crack up.

Let me preface this by saying I've already listened to the first hour, so I've already head the spot-on Ramones rant.

That said, and I shit you not, as I was posting this episode on the site, a Ramones-shirt-wearing 20-year-old woman came into my work. The irony of the situation nearly made me crack up.

Wow! that is funny. I remember when I first went from private school to public school, and my biggest shock went from seeing only uniforms to people wearing advertisements on their torsos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As bad as music artists (or pop culture in general) is in terms of douchebags who wear it without knowing/caring about what they are wearing* it is WORSE when it comes to sports.

I went up to a guy once wearing a University of North Carolina Tarheel Mens Basketball shirt and said simply "Duke rules!" (I don't have a dog in the Duke-UNC rivalry, I just like needling the opposite side) to which the guy responded with a "Huh?" I repeated "Duke rules!" and pointed to the shirt, to which the response was "Oh, I uhhh just like the shirt."

Also in late 2002 a guy wearing a Brock Lesnar "Here Comes The Pain" shirt seemed quite confused when I told him "Hey, that guy's the reason Stone Cold is no longer around!" (I know not exactly, the Lesnar job on Raw without a proper build was the last straw in something that was building, but just something snarky to have a little fun and start a quick conversation with someone whom I thought was a Lesnar fan) to which I got a "Uh what? Ah whatever..." type of response.

*FWIW, I've used this as an example to counter someone ranting over Max Landis' decree that no one likes Superman, and even if you do, you don't, with the idea that Superman merch is still a hot seller (Batman may have surpassed him but that's besides the point) even with people who wouldn't know Clark Kent from Jeff Kent as proof that Landis is a douchebag that isn't worth ranting about. In other words, even if you don't like Superman, you still like him because you own something with the S Shield, or something about the pervasiveness of Superman is still worthy enough to own in a trinket, shirt, tattoo, or whatever and you wouldn't quite get the same "oooh, nerd" reaction that a lesser character would.

Superman is, and always has been "safe" to display, whether you are a fan or not, despite how much crap you've gotten within the comic book superhero fan community over your liking of the character.

• 1 year later...