Godzilla

Koete

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I don't see awesome. I see generic. I think America really misses the point of Godzilla: we don't want him as a monster, we want to see him fight the other monsters. If a Godzilla movie doesn't have Mothra, Rodan, MechaGodzilla or one of the other kaiju, I don't really care.

Also: what is wrong with the classic Godzilla roar?

It's the same generic military human crap we always see in any Hollywood "disaster" movie. Dollars to donuts Cranston is either playing some scientist who tried to warn everyone because he saw this coming or some corrupt corporate or government type trying to use Godzilla to further himself. Johnson will be our plucky hero who will play his part in stopping the monster, but ultimately feel bad about it, because he learned something or another. Olson will be relegated to love interest and protecting that small child she's hugging in the trailer, because it's family or she's babysitting.

It's "Independence Day" or "Armageddon" or whatever. It just feels formulaic, because we all know Hollywood is lazy.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I just don't see why everyone is so excited here. I wish I was excited for a new Godzilla movie.

How is that generic? I've never seen anything like that skydiving scene.

The exact same thing was done in Transformers: Dark of the Moon over two years ago.

I absolutely loved the leaked teaser trailer that went up a while back; this new trailer has none of that one's epic style, drama and tone. It really does look generic and boring.

Though, Preston, I'm gonna have to entirely disagree about the roar and the Godzilla-as-monster stuff. I remember actually jumping in my chair and getting chills when the roar happened in the leaked teaser. It sounds like a "real" cataclysmically gigantic monster, but it's totally close enough to the classic roar that it's still distinctly Godzilla.

Also, while I do think that "Godzilla vs. Monster X" is lots of fun (Mothra is my idol), at this point I'd much rather have a legit disaster-horror movie than another monster throwdown. We just had Pacific Rim and there've been dozens of classic Godzilla fight movies from Japan. Making Godzilla actually scary again—instead of being a giant cartoon—is a really good idea, and I hope they can pull it off.

That being said, the leaked teaser from before actually did show the giant corpse of another monster, so there may indeed be a monster brawl.

I don't see awesome. I see generic. I think America really misses the point of Godzilla: we don't want him as a monster, we want to see him fight the other monsters. If a Godzilla movie doesn't have Mothra, Rodan, MechaGodzilla or one of the other kaiju, I don't really care.

Also: what is wrong with the classic Godzilla roar?

There are monsters other than Godzilla in this movie. That half a second explosion at the airport seen in the trailer is part of a sequence shown at Comic Con and the monster causing that was not Godzilla.

The "point" of Godzilla had nothing to do with cartoonish kaiju fights until its creators realized that they could merchandize and churn them out quickly if the plots became little more than variations on "another guy in rubber suit this time". The best of the Japanese films generally make Godzilla a lone villain, or at least the lesser of evils when other threats show up. At least it's being made by someone with a record of competence and they're taking the subject somewhat seriously.

Trailers are complete bullshit anyway.

It's the same generic military human crap we always see in any Hollywood "disaster" movie. Dollars to donuts Cranston is either playing some scientist who tried to warn everyone because he saw this coming or some corrupt corporate or government type trying to use Godzilla to further himself. Johnson will be our plucky hero who will play his part in stopping the monster, but ultimately feel bad about it, because he learned something or another. Olson will be relegated to love interest and protecting that small child she's hugging in the trailer, because it's family or she's babysitting.

It's "Independence Day" or "Armageddon" or whatever. It just feels formulaic, because we all know Hollywood is lazy.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I just don't see why everyone is so excited here. I wish I was excited for a new Godzilla movie.

Its just the trailer.

• 2 months later...