Episode 127

RSS

For the very first time, The Doctor meets his oldest, most faithful companion ("The Doctor's Wife"). Then he must broker a peace between humans and their doppelgangers ("The Rebel Flesh" / "The Almost People"). [ 1:05:17 || 31.6 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_127.mp3

Nothing to say about The Doctor's Wife other than it is pure gold. If I carry on further, it would be only to gush uncontrollably.

The two part ganger story on the other hand is such a let down.

I haven't seen it since it first aired. Even after I bought the complete series I have not yet returned to it. Probably never will.

I seem to remember there is a line towards the end when they are dropping off the survivors to hold a conference about ganger's rights and at least one of them is a ganger. They are concerned about being ganger's living among so called real people.

Now, the Doctor has a line about because they have travelled in the Tardis the energy from it will stabilise them so they are real people now. A few moment later he exposes Amy as a Ganger and melts her.

WHAT? WHAT?

She has been travelling in the Tardis far longer than the other ganger's so how has its energy not made her real now.

Fuck this episode. (I mean the story, not the podcast :) )

Having said that. When they first introduce the ganger's, I was horrified at the thought that the Doctor on the beach who died was just a ganger. Thank God they never went down that road.

Going back to the point about RTD writing for the internet and cosplayers, I wonder though if Firefly fans who cosplay with Jayne's wool ski hat have Doctor Who beat though.

Granted the episode "The Message" is available on DVD and streaming, and has been widely available to view for a little more than a decade now, it is still an episode that never actually aired!

Granted I'm sure it was never intended as a bone to throw to devoted fans to run with, but it did develop into a quirky thing for fans to latch on to.

Out of curiosity though, are there other more well known cosplaying "options" borne out of a one-time appearance or some variation the way Whovians have been drawn to 11's Fezs and Pirate Amy?

I mean was it ever popular to dress up as blue shirt Picard from the TNG episode "Tapestry" to replicate the possibility Q presented Picard of a life he could have had if he didn't get stabbed through the heart by a Nasscican*?

*For non TNGers, and seriously, watch the episode, it's a classic. The premise was that it was a Picard that would never take risks and always go with safer choices, and thus never rose beyond the rank of being a Lieutenant grade scientist, hence a blue uniform instead of his Captain position and red uniform.

Now, the Doctor has a line about because they have travelled in the Tardis the energy from it will stabilise them so they are real people now. A few moment later he exposes Amy as a Ganger and melts her.

WHAT? WHAT?

I'm entirely sure that ganger-Amy isn't a proper ganger, but instead a remote-controlled ganger body that real-Amy is living through. So it wasn't a real separate sentient entity.

WHAT? WHAT?

I'm entirely sure that ganger-Amy isn't a proper ganger, but instead a remote-controlled ganger body that real-Amy is living through. So it wasn't a real separate sentient entity.

Surely a ganger is a ganger weather it be remote controlled or not. They were all remote controlled at the start. They are all made from the "Flesh" as they called it (I think). So any ganger travelling in the Tardis would, like the rest of them become so called real.

WHAT? WHAT?

Yes, weren't the acid-factory gangers given independent life during that solar storm? Yet it didn't have the same effect on Amy's ganger, because she kept seeing Madame Kovarian and her sliding-window afterwards, so was still being remote-controlled. That's how I understood it, though to be fair a lot of this season and the next is just baffling and I could be wrong.

The whole point of the two parter was the Doctor trying to illustrate that using the flesh as this sort of tool is wrong because it is individually alive even when remote controlled, so yeah him melting Amy was a bit rich. It was mainly done because they didn't want another Amy running around confusing everyone. It would have been better if eyepatch lady was monitoring that Amy and dissolved her when the Doctor confronted/reassured her.

On Dan's point about "Racism is bad" I think that sometimes a simple theme about prejudice is worth revisiting. Every episode is somebodies first, and whilst you might have learned about how to treat people who are different from watching TNG episode Measure of a Man when you were a tween maybe a modern kid who is only just breaking out of watching kids TV appreciates this sort of thing more. I thought it was actually one of the things they did right, setting out to demonstrate that even a beloved character like Amy can have prejudices. The execution wasn't great, but the underlying idea was worthwhile.

• 5 months later...

WHAT? WHAT?

Yes, weren't the acid-factory gangers given independent life during that solar panel? Yet it didn't have the same effect on Amy's ganger, because she kept seeing Madame Kovarian and her sliding-window afterwards, so was still being remote-controlled. That's how I understood it, though to be fair a lot of this season and the next is just baffling and I could be wrong.

Even I am bit confused so I can't say you were wrong.. We need to find exact information and I will try my level best..