Brightest Day

Missy

And the follow up to Blackest Night is...

Monday, January 11th, 2010

By Alex Segura

Alex Segura: OK Dan, I got your call, I’m here. It’s pretty early, even for us. This is a first for THE SOURCE – a live interview with you on the blog. Very exciting. What’s got you so jazzed up?

Dan DiDio: I’ll just get right to the point, Alex – we’re ready to announce everything that’s coming up after BLACKEST NIGHT.

AS: Wow, really? I’m glad I brought my notebook.

DD: And I’m happy to announce that for the DCU, after the BLACKEST NIGHT will come a BRIGHTEST DAY this April. A biweekly, 26-issue series, kicking off with BRIGHTEST DAY #0.

AS: BRIGHTEST DAY – that’s major. Who’s steering the ship creatively, though?

DD: As you can imagine, we’re really excited by the great work the teams behind GREEN LANTERN and GREEN LANTERN CORPS have brought to our fans every month. And, we just don’t want to let go of that just yet. So BRIGHTEST DAY will be written by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi.

AS: And both GREEN LANTERN and GREEN LANTERN CORPS will have a BRIGHTEST DAY banner?

DD: Correct.

AS: Can you say anything about the artists on the book? I’d imagine, since it’s a biweekly book, you’d need more than one.

DD: Sorry to wake you and not give you all the answers at once, but we have to save a few for later. We have a number of wonderful artists slated to contribute to the book, which we’ll be announcing soon. We can say that Fernando Pasarin will be handling the art on BRIGHTEST DAY #0.

AS: Sounds good. And we’ll have more BRIGHTEST DAY news for you faithful readers in, oh, about two hours. In the meantime, can I go grab a cup of coffee?

prev_brtst-day.jpg

Source

Just like the five points on the Black Lantern logo seem to represent a hand, I have to wonder if the seven points on the White Lantern (?) logo represent the seven corps.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Lantern Corps? Sounds like a sci-fi version of the Klan. I'll be interested to see if there is any way in which a group of seven individuals can have practical good looking drawable costumes that are mainly white. I suppose they'll dot he standard thing of having them be black and white but doesn't that sort of run contrary to the imagery they are trying to create?

flash1_cover_cmyk2.jpg

BRIGHTEST DAY: THE FLASH

AS: In meetings Ive heard BRIGHTEST DAY referred to, offhand, as DCU: REBIRTH. Being the sleuth I am, this leads me to believe its more than just a concentrated series, right?

DD: Definitely. BRIGHTEST DAY isnt just a single book. Like BLACKEST NIGHT, its an event that happens across the entire DC Universe, affecting a number of titles.

Following BRIGHTEST DAY #0, well be bannering a number of new and ongoing series with BRIGHTEST DAY, which will let readers know these books are key to the entire BD story.

AS: Keeping my detective hat on, since Geoff is writing BRIGHTEST DAY and we announced hed be writing a new FLASH ongoing coming right around the same time…

DD: Correct. Well be launching the new FLASH ongoing series, by Geoff and Francis Manapul in April with a BRIGHTEST DAY banner, and there will be several more titles utilizing it come May and June.

With this book, Geoff and Francis are really bringing Barry Allen back into the spotlight and cementing him as the premiere Flash in the DCU in his own monthly. Its no secret that Ive been waiting a long time to se this. Ive always been a huge Barry fan, and I can say that Geoff and Francis are reinvigorating him as a character in much the same way Geoff did with Hal Jordan. Should be fun.

AS: You mentioned other titles?

DD: Yup.

AS: Alright Source readers, swing back in an hour for more BRIGHTEST DAY news. Its a busy Monday!

deathstroke.jpg

BRIGHTEST DAY: TITANS

AS: One of the titles that a lot of people have been asking about of late is TITANS. I know that we have a new creative team hitting soon. What can you tell us about that?

DD: TITANS is another series that will fall directly under BRIGHTEST DAY, with Eric Wallace and Fabrizio Fiorentino coming on board, starting with the TITANS: VILLAINS FOR HIRE SPECIAL and then the regular series. We loved the work the two of them did on INK, so were excited to see them build a new team of Titans, under the leadership of none other than Deathstroke, the Terminator.

Who the members are and how they affect the original Titans is a major part of the DCUs story for 2010.

AS: Come on, Dan. You woke me up at 6 a.m. for this. Can you drop a few clues as to the roster?

DD: Dont see why not. Seeing as how the creative team is coming off a great mini-series like INK, its not a surprise that the Tattooed Man will be a member of Deathstrokes Titans team.

AS: One more?

DD: Well, it wouldnt be much of a Deathstroke team if there wasnt a femme fatale in the mix, and weve definitely got one with ties to the original Titans, to boot in Cheshire. Well save the full roster for a later date.

AS: Fair enough. Readers, Im starving, so Im going to grab a quick lunch, but come back to The Source in about an hour for another bit of BRIGHTEST DAY news.

jla_44_cvr_solicit_jpeg.jpg

AS: OK, I’m more awake now. Lunch does that to me. Are there any other DCU books that will be under the BRIGHTEST DAY banner?

DD: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA will also feature the banner, starting with April’s #44, but the characters that will be joining the team are still very much under wraps. Sorry, I’m usually not this secretive in the afternoon. Hope you understand.

AS: No worries, Dan. But I do have one more question before we wrap things up. Cool?

DD: Sure, but not right now

AS: OK, we’ll come back at 3pm. See you then.

Source

What the fuck happened to Mark Bagley's art? Is his inker that bad, or did Mark forget how to draw?

I agree, its fucking awful. Also, this is a cover, meaning this is the thing that's meant to sell people to buy the comic.

However after his Batman run, this doesn't phase me.

Edit: Rob Hunter is his inker. Who did his horrible Batman issues with him.

Besides that Bagley image, this looks cool.

High on my "to do" list as publisher of DC would be "more Deathstroke."

Well, yes, but it seems like they are just running BN right into another event. But they did that with IC and then 52, so I can't complain. I'll get an issue, then trade wait.

Also, Manapauls Flash cover, the background looks awesome, but Barry himself, I don't like.

What the fuck happened to Mark Bagley's art? Is his inker that bad, or did Mark forget how to draw?

Yeah, it's pretty impressive that that contains the worst versions of: Cyborg, Magog, Alan Scott, Jesse Quick and Power Girl. Ever. Power Girl looks like a 14-year-old with fake tittays.

You know, I was really looking forward to saving money after Blackest Night was over. Oh well, at least Geoff Johns and DC will have plenty to talk about at C2E2.

I know what you mean I predicted this would happen and didn't pick up any Blackest Night, I figured we would see white lanterns while reading Blackest Night Zero back on free comic book day. It was kinda expected, though I read several interviews with Dan DiDio saying it wouldn't be resolved as simple as "white lanterns" I am waiting for the trade of Blackest Night, probably will do the same thing.

Perhaps representative of the 7 members of the White Lantern Corps?

Saint Walker

Guy Gardner

Sinestro

Carol Ferris

John Stewart

Just ideas.

I love this idea. Each Corps has a couple of members as a White Lantern, just a way of keeping each other in check and from having all out war. Of course, none of them get along, The Orange represenative steals all the sugar packets, pure disaster. As for the costumes, it could just be the same as the standard costume only with White where the black normally is.