The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it's a nationality thing as well. Yanks are pulling for Halloween, set in a leafy suburban American town, whereas Tom and Pandy would opt for 28 Days Later, set in an empty, desolate Britain. Both influential to certain degrees, and helmed by acclaimed directors.

Not nearly as lopsided as you'd think.

I wonder if it's a nationality thing as well. Yanks are pulling for Halloween, set in a leafy suburban American town, whereas Tom and Pandy would opt for 28 Days Later, set in an empty, desolate Britain. Both influential to certain degrees, and helmed by acclaimed directors.

Not nearly as lopsided as you'd think.

This is an excellent point and pretty darn accurate. There's something about the deserted centre of London and empty british highways that really catches me about 28 Days Later. It's like a transplanted update of great 60's and 70's sci-fi works, a real last man on earth vibe that strikes home because of the familiarity. The same is true in Halloween, so much of that setup is designed to involve you in ordinary life in that environment and for people who live in those surroundings and have those lives it seems far more real to them.

...but I would like to make it clear that whilst 28 Days Later is my personal favourite, that doesn't mean I don't bloody love Halloween.

That is very, very difficult. I will lean toward Se7en; Heat has always struck me as a series of spectacular moments (my God, that gun battle) held together with a decent movie, whereas Se7en is consistently what it is.

Ultimately I chose Se7en, primarily for the reasons cited by Dan, but I would add that Heat's series of spectacular moments are all part of a very long story. As in tipping into "noticeably long" territory from the acceptable "long but engrossing" territory.

If by "greatest", you mean "most self-indulgent", then sure. The film's plot literally screeches to a halt for a 20 minute dance sequence that is all taking place in Gene Kelly's head. Even Mother Wilson, who *does* think Singin' in the Rain is one of the greatest films ever, will always skip through that sequence.

Don't get me wrong, it's a standout Hollywood musical with some great numbers and comedy in between. On the other hand, the romance between Kelly and Princess Leia's mum is thoroughly unbelievable and the resulting ballards are grating.

As for Speed, thoughts to be recorded on Sunday for HAA!