The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in a fight.

A Gene Kelly-based fight. The worst kind of fight.

Watch The Band Wagon and tell me if you still think those parts are that bad as musicals go.

Oh, I think Singin' in the Rain is very mugh at the high end of the scale of film musicals. I just have a bit of a blind spot to them, insofar that I have never sat through one that didn't have at least one duff song or irritatingly showy performance. Even the South Park movie has that song sung by Saddam Hussein - awesome sentence, lousy song.

Pandy or Tom, we would appreciate one of you stepping in to redeem Great Britain after Ian just made the entire country seem like uncultured fussbudgets.

But seriously, Singin' in the Rain is the gold standard against which an entire genre can be compared. There are few films in the genre of musical that even compare. Maybe just West Side Story, Chicago, The Wizard of Oz, or Cabaret come close. Speed is a movie with Keanu Reeves that isn't even in the top 10 action films of the 90s, let alone all time.

Pandy or Tom, we would appreciate one of you stepping in to redeem Great Britain after Ian just made the entire country seem like uncultured fussbudgets.

1) Good to see discussion hasn't broken down into national slurs yet!

2) Hey, I gave my reasons why I thought it was a self-indulgent film with flaws. I never called it a bad movie.

seriously, Singin' in the Rain is the gold standard against which an entire genre can be compared. There are few films in the genre of musical that even compare.

3. I said as much - it's at the highest end of the genre scale.

Speed is a movie with Keanu Reeves that isn't even in the top 10 action films of the 90s, let alone all time.

4. I also never said anywhere that I thought Speed was a better movie. I simply threw out one of the options that Flickchart offered when I was re-ranking the film.

Mental note: choose safer options to avoid the outrage of musical lovers.

I mean, maybe some of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals are a little trite but that's more a symptom of the time. If you don't like musicals, okay but don't condemn the entire genre as boring. I don't like most westerns but I'll still agree that they have artistic merit and I still like (and in some cases, love) many of the films in the genre.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to make a blanket statement about an entire film genre like that. There are parts of musicals I absolutely love, but I've yet to come across one that maintains a consistent level of awesomeness from start to finish. And it's fair to say that there's a great many I've yet to see.

I'll be damned if Grease is one of those in the upper echelons though. Fuck that noise....