The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

On 2/14/2021 at 8:54 AM, slothian said:

Die Another Day vs Goldmember

Goldmember is better.

It gets a lot of heat, but I liked Die Another Day. It did try too hard to be XXX, clearly influenced by the Vin Diesel movie. Pierce Brosnan* parasailing was hilarious and I don't think it was meant to be.

*Or should that be Stab Bronkinson?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, figure that depends on a mood. Sunshine for me I think.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, S-T said:

Goldmember is better.

It gets a lot of heat, but I liked Die Another Day. It did try too hard to be XXX, clearly influenced by the Vin Diesel movie. Pierce Brosnan* parasailing was hilarious and I don't think it was meant to be.

*Or should that be Stab Bronkinson?

I kinda like Die Another Day too. It's not good and I wouldn't defend it, but it's cheesy in a fun way. It was the first Bond movie I saw in theaters, and at the time I just assumed they were all spy pastiche cartoons because that was how the parodies worked. I don't like Halle Berry or the special effects tho.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, Donomark said:

It's not good and I wouldn't defend it, but it's cheesy in a fun way.

No need to defend it. We like what we like. If I like X movie or book or game and someone else doesn't (or vice versa) we're both right because it is completely subjective.

2001: A Space Odyssey vs. Blade Runner (the final version)

At the moment I'm not wild about either, but in both cases, I've only seen the movie once and it was at least ten years ago, so I'm well overdue for a rewatch.

1) Which is better?

2) Which you would you watch first?

Blade Runner. Both films offer fascinating insights into humanity from a sci-fi POV. But Blade Runner has a plot and characters to drive along the story, with a career-defining performance from Rutger Hauer. 2001 is just the wrong side of pretentious, although everything I said above rings true for it - I use it as a gateway on my Flickchart. If a film is very good to me, but has no ambition, subtext or something else that makes it stand out, it cannot surpass 2001.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Fellowship is an awesome movie and my favorite of the series, but Aladdin is funnier, has greater animation compared the Fellowship's CGI, has a genuinely engaging romance - I'd argue the best of the Disney ouvre, and works as a stronger viewing experience as a done-in-one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...