The Defenders

Molly

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She originally had a scene in the final episode with Luke and Claire, but that got cut.

I really enjoyed this. About the same level as DD season 2 in that while it wasn't perfect, the pros outweighed the cons. Sigourney Weaver was a waste of space. There was also a lot of "I can't tell you!" scenes that matched the frequency of the Flash's "I'll go talk to him/her" scenes. But there wasn't a single episode I didn't enjoy, whereas that can't be said for any of the other shows. The Luke/Danny relationship was fantastic, but all four had their own individual dynamics with each other that made the show. The overall scheme of the villains was whatever (although I really liked Murakami), but the Defenders themselves were such strong characters in their own right that sparks flew every time they were on-screen. And Danny's a better character after this because like Dan said the show is now fully aware of how irritating he is. But I maintain that episode four was Finn Jones' best performance, as he got to play around and really have fun in the part. Generally whenever he was teeth grittingly serious it was annoying, and he needed a Luke or Jessica to sit his ass down.

Spoiler

I did think Stick went out like a punk. I wasn't sure if he was gonna blow himself up like he did in the comics, but his death was basically an afterthought which I felt was lame.

It had its flaws to be sure. In addition to Weaver's wasted space, I thought Jessica's IDGAF attitude got old halfway thru because she was hardly progressing anywhere. She actually seemed to regress back to where she was at the beginning of her own show, whereas the other three kept up their storylines. But no, this was fun. A bit slow in the beginning, but a solid culmination of where the previous five seasons of shows all lead to. And I LOVE the shoutout to Born Again at the very end.

10 hours ago, Donomark said:

And Danny's a better character after this because like Dan said the show is now fully aware of how irritating he is.

"I am Danny Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist! It remains my sworn and sacred duty to defend the city of K'un Lun! I thrust my fist into the molten heart of the dragon and -"

"Yes, thank you, but could you just tell me if you want fries with that or not?"

• 4 weeks later...

The Marvel Netflix hype does definitely seemed to have cooled since the first season of Daredevil. While I maintain that DD, JJ and LC have all been really great, I think Iron Fist was so bad that it impacted the development of Defenders. It seemingly impacted interest for people going in. The MCU films have a really solid entry every so often while staying relatively good from movie to movie. If the Netflix shows wake up from complacency, we wouldn't have to talk about bad ratings I figure.

Fatigue has to be setting in. By the time 2017 is over, we'll have had GOTG 2, Spider-Man, and Thor in theaters, SHIELD and Inhumans on TV, and Iron Fist, Defenders, and Punisher on Netflix. That's not even taking into account Legion, Runaways, and whatever the hell else is also out there with Marvel's name slapped on it. It's too much.

• 3 months later...

So I finished The Punisher. 

Spoiler

Overall, I was really, really impressed. It's got a fighting chance to be my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows, easily. Bernthal's portrayal of Frank Castle is one of the selling points, obviously, but the supporting cast is just flat-out amazing. Amber Revah's a name I'm gonna watch for from now on, and same goes for Ebon Moss-Bacharach and Ben Barns. 

Also, my favorite moment of the series: "You're gonna learn about pain."

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first of the Marvel Netflix shows that I didn't watch all the way through when it first dropped, as I was traveling when it did. Hell it took me over a month to get to it. Finished it last night, watched episodes 7-13 which has to be the most I've seen in an evening from these shows as well.

After the relative disappointment from the Defenders, this really put the franchise back on track. It was wonderful. There wasn't a single uninteresting episode the entire season. What really carried the show was the impressive character writing and the relationship between Frank and Micro. But everyone was great, even the weakest subplot being the Homeland Security characters. Berenthal REALLY became the Punisher, in a way that Hugh Jackman became Wolverine. They both don't seem like they could be great choices for those characters, but they certainly proved their mettle. 

Spoiler

Punisher creating Jigsaw by squeezing his face into that broken glass mirror is one of the best MCU moments for me. That was iconic.

I enjoyed Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, but Iron Fist and Defenders were not as good. This has been in the conversation to being as great as Daredevil Season 1, and I think that's accurate. It was so well put together and acted from start to finish.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about this. I loved the first season, but an origin story/exploration doesn't really grab me. We basically just did that with Punisher. I like Malcolm, I like Patsy Walker, I like Jessica investigating mysteries, but nothing in this grabbed me. I'll wait for word of mouth.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really pleased Daredevil is back. The first episode is perfectly character driven, and the build-up to the rematch between Matt and Fisk is awesome.

Spoiler

If you can, listen to this first ep with your headphones on. Matt's deaf in his right ear, and that's displayed terrifically, even when he's trying to use his powers to gain a sense of his surroundings.