JackFetch

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So here's my problem with it all, right down to the core:

It's an interesting story that is in no way a Superman story. The single biggest problem with Man of Steel was that it introduced Superman by making him partially responsible for the single biggest disaster in American history. Instead of having Superman be, you know, an actual hero, he ended up bringing destruction upon Metropolis, even if it wasn't all his fault. When the best thing that can be said is, "well, at least the entire planet didn't die," that's not much consolation. Superman's first outing was a terrible loss, and the entire planet would have been better off if he'd never landed on it. It's basically the story of Transformers.

Man of Steel is darker than every Batman movie shy of The Dark Knight, which is an asinine choice to make for a Superman origin movie. So when this new movie further makes Superman into a controversial savior/destroyer figure, it only digs that dark well even further. Yes, if Superman were a real person, this kind of thing would happen. These kinds of moral quandaries would arise. But that's not what Superman is. This is basically the Watchmen approach taken to Superman. If it were an alternate universe story, then sure, but this is meant to be THE Superman for film. And as a Superman fan, I watch that trailer and feel kind of disgusted. I wait years on end to actually see a good representation of the greatest superhero of all time, and then am handed this, a story that basically only seems interested in tearing him down in favor of being edgy and "real-world." Seriously, when was the last good Superman movie? 1978? 80, maybe?

The fact that Superman of all characters isn't treated like an actual superhero is beyond stupid to me. I'm done with the "lonely alien god" story at this point; just let Superman BE SUPERMAN again.

I think having people question Superman in a real world scenario is a good idea for a movie which was limply brought up in Superman Returns but never actually addressed in a real way. But I agree, the trailer is so damn serious about it that it's somewhat farcical.

I'm down for the movie, it looks entertaining, but this tone is too much.

It's an interesting story that is in no way a Superman story. The single biggest problem with Man of Steel was that it introduced Superman by making him partially responsible for the single biggest disaster in American history. Instead of having Superman be, you know, an actual hero, he ended up bringing destruction upon Metropolis, even if it wasn't all his fault. When the best thing that can be said is, "well, at least the entire planet didn't die," that's not much consolation. Superman's first outing was a terrible loss, and the entire planet would have been better off if he'd never landed on it. It's basically the story of Transformers.

That's like saying Batman isn't a hero because he inspired The Joker and Thor isn't one because Odin sent him to Earth and made it a target. With superheroes fighting supervillains, there's going to be a death toll.

That's true to an extent, but when you go to the extreme level that Man of Steel did, the end result isn't "the hero saved lives," it's "Metropolis got nuked." I feel like Avengers hit precisely on the upper limit of destruction you can have in a superhero movie and still call it a "win" (unless you live in Hell's Kitchen, apparently). Man of Steel pretty much showed us another 9/11 times twenty.

Thinking on it more, Man of Steel really is the story of the Transformers movies:

Zod & Friends/Decepticons come to Earth seeking the key/Allspark so they can use Earth's resources to rebuild their home planet while killing all the humans in the process. Superman/Optimus Prime stands in the way, claiming that humanity's existence is worth protecting, and that Krypton/Cybertron is long dead anyway. Battles ensue, causing terrible damage across the world, notably in Chicago (Metropolis was filmed in Chicago), which makes humanity turn against Superman/the Autobots.

So now Batman v Superman is Transformers 4. Which is awful by even Transformer movie standards. Hooray.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...