Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

JackFetch

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about Lex (I like the take, I just don't know if it'll flow with the rest of the movie) and the CG on Doomsday needs to get a lot better (which they have time for), but the Bruce and Clark scenes are amazing. Affleck owns, Cavill owns, and Jeremy Irons says "you're gonna go to war." I've been ride or die for this movie for months and that's not changing. 

"Is she with you?"
"I thought she was with you."

The fact that he has to say that he could have killed someone if he wanted to, convinces me more than ever that Cavil's character is not Superman but a thug with the same name and powers.

I'm still going to see it, I'm just not fooling myself that its Superman any more.

"Is she with you?"
"I thought she was with you."

The fact that he has to say that he could have killed someone if he wanted to, convinces me more than ever that Cavil's character is not Superman but a thug with the same name and powers.

I'm still going to see it, I'm just not fooling myself that its Superman any more.

Oh come on, Superman's said that or words to that effect before multiple times. It'd be worse if he said "Don't make me kill you" or something.

In the DTV movie adapting the new Justice League story he said something to Batman like "Talk while you still can." I thought that was too much and out of character. But him pointing out that he has the power to end you but won't is totally within the wheelhouse of his character.

I would LOVE for the films to get it right. The TV shows and animated features are spot on but the movies just go big and bloated and grimdark.

I like the MCU because the movies are bright, colourful and fun, heroes are real and there is always hope that things can be better. DC movies are dark, dour and grim, where no shred of hope exists, and heroism is an outdated concept.

The Man of Steel trailer offered up the .2 moments of humor in the movie, so I'm not gonna believe this trailer is a prelude for the film's ultimate tone. I've kind of accepted that the Snyder movies will have the emotional resonance of being pounded into the ground until your face is red paste, but if the story can justify it than it's all good. Henry Cavill was excellent as Clark Kent.

Honestly, Affleck's Batman has more room to grow for me personally. It's not really his performance, but the thick Milleresque cowl look more and more goofy and it they are really playing his xenophobia up. That last part I am finding pretty humorous however, but I still gotta see it before he can be bandied about in "BEST BATMAN EVER" convos.

I would LOVE for the films to get it right. The TV shows and animated features are spot on but the movies just go big and bloated and grimdark.

I like the MCU because the movies are bright, colourful and fun, heroes are real and there is always hope that things can be better. DC movies are dark, dour and grim, where no shred of hope exists, and heroism is an outdated concept.

Wow, you've really out-Jason'd yourself there.

That was paint-by-numbers/dot-to-dot Jason, spelling out why DC films will never impress you, before they're even released, and why all Marvel films are awesome because they feature lots of jokes and are always hopeful & upbeat. Despite this being quantifiably not true.

Huh. Didn't realise I was that predictable.

I would respond but you probably know what I'm going to say. :lol:

I am trying not to rant quite so much any more anyway. I had someone I've known for a while block me on FB over my opinion on Clara Oswald & River Song last week, so now I am attempting - and partially succeeding - at trying not to be so absolute about things.

DCU movies seem to be able to get past my control though. I'll have to work on that.

Edited by JasonC

Well, that's a start.

I honestly don't begrudge you an opinion, but, as you acknowledge, it's the repetition of the same absolute standpoint that you need to consider. When we've heard the same thing 10 times before, why say it an 11th time? 

Now, if you were to base a post around aspects of the film that might turn around your preconceptions of it, or alternatively, ask a question about what everyone else thinks about one aspect of the film that you find particularly unappealing, that would be fine. But you can't generate much discussion with "DC sucks because x whereas Marvel Studios rule because y".

As it happens, I am interested to see Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman and Gil Gadot's Diana. I think Batman fits the overall dark tone they are going for. And I am very much wanting to see Suicide Squad, which also fits in that ethos.

And I love the Gods and Monsters animated feature. Which is about as dark as it gets. :)

Edited by JasonC