Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

JackFetch

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many reasons I love humanity. One of those is that the human race, at it's core, embraces hope. Hope, in the end, is the ability to look at the future, no matter how dark the evidence may be, and say, "We can make it better." It is that ability that allowed us to do some things that seemed stupid at the time like create fire, harness electricity, or split the atom and become what we are. It allows artists to keep working at it for years despite not getting attention, in the hope that this is going to be the time they break through. A humanity without hope will fall apart and start cannibalizing itself. We, as a people, need hope to survive. In the end, even as the meteors crash down, destroying us, Humanity will still have hope that we meant something in the end. That we didn't go quietly into the night. Hope is salvation. Hope, even when past experience tells us that it's folly, is a human reaction. Even if the future comes and it's not the gleaming cities, we still have hope that the next future will be.

And then you have people who roll their eyes at hope and decide that everything's going to be crap anyway.

And then you have people who roll their eyes at hope and decide that everything's going to be crap anyway.

Hope is a lie we tell ourselves to get though the day without reaching for the nearest weapon and killing a whole load of people.

DC movies have a track record of putting out movies that are... not so good. There have been some good ones to be sure (Superman, Superman II) but for the most part they have been...well..

Therefore, whenever I hear of a DC movie in development, I automatically assume it will be bad, terrible or just simply not all that good. Pretty little snippets like the car and The Batsuit are not going to change my mind. Trailers probably won't. The only thing that will, is sitting down in the theatre and watching the actual film.

Which is fine but explain your reasoning. All saying, "This is going to suck" will get you is an eyeroll here. Same with over enthusiasm to the point where we might think you're a plant from a company for something that we have actual evidence does suck. As for the majority of the films being bad, the only ones that are out and out bombs are Catwoman, Superman Returns, Supergirl, and Superman 4. Maybe Green Lantern but even it had some merits. Marvel's current crop has been mostly good but, if you look at their overall scorecard, they have more bombs and embarrassments than DC. Howard the Duck, Captain America (1990), any of the Punisher films. Zach Snyder has at least made mostly visually decent films. There's always a chance he could make something that doesn't suck. All I'm saying is don't jump to, "It's going to be crap" when all we have to go off of is casting and a picture. I don't know if you remember the geek chorus screaming, "It's going to suck" when Heath Ledger got cast as The Joker but it was there. You at least wait until we get crappy footage of Optimus Prime riding a Robo-T-Rex.

Until Blade, Marvel live-action properties were always, every time, with the exception of the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk (and a lot of peoples miles vary on that), miserable artistic and commercial failures, stretching all the way back to the 1940s Captain America serial and continuing through the Spider-Man TV series, tons of failed pilots like the Reb Brown Captain America shows, Doctor Strange, and Generation X. The movies that did get made like Captain America (1991) and Howard the Duck were terrible. Roger Corman's Fantastic Four never got released at all. The fact is that Marvel was desperate to get something going and sold the rights to their properties to anyone whose check cleared. But eventually, someone made a good movie, the studios paid attention to what worked and what didn't, and now Marvel's on a roll. But it took decades for them to get there. The fact that the Captain America serial was terrible has absolutely nothing to do with how good Winter Soldier is or isn't, any more than the quality of Batman vs. Superman will be in any way affected by the fact that Joel Schumacher put nipples on the Batsuit almost twenty years ago.

It doesn't mean "versus" here, it means five. Read it as Batman V: Superman - Dawn of Justice, as in the fifth installment in DC's grand universe:

Batman Begins (I)

The Dark Knight (II)

The Dark Knight Rises (III)

Man of Steel (IV)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (V)

Or it's because v looks cooler than vs.