Suggest future actors for the HAA! spotlight

slothian

Lindsey Lohan: Hear me out on this one. This is mainly to see the decline of a person's career. Start our with The Parent Trap, a film where she showed quite a bit of promise. After that, we have Freaky Friday and Mean Girls, two films that she helped carry and made her a person to watch. Sadly, time and a drug addiction would not be kind to her and we got I Know Who Killed Me and The Canyons.

Edited by slothian
Film covered

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look, I apologise for what I said about Singing in the Rain. Let's not escalate things...

That actually had nothing to do with it. This was mainly saying it might be cool to look at an actor or actress who's career took a nosedive. Lohan just was the first that came to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to come up with actors who played a wide range of roles

Gary Oldman.... Played Dracula, Beethoven, that cop in the professional

Daniel Day Lewis.... An Irishman, a western oil tycoon, adopted son of a Mohawk chief

Jeff Bridges.....the dude, frontier gun for hire, tron guy

Ben Kingsley... Gandhi and the scariest a hole ever in "sexy beast"

Charlize Theron.... Quoted as desiring to play unusual roles, but not sure of the range of things she has done.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ben Affleck: Despite doing numerous strong roles over the years, why did a bunch of a-holes decide to get up in arms over "Bat-fleck?" It's a question worthy of two brits capable of asking the hard questions. Starting out by doing films for one of his best friends (Chasing Amy, Dogma) Affleck would become a star, mind you he would also spend those years with his relationships being all over the tabloids. Of his three major flings, he did a movie with each of them (Shakespeare in Love, Gigli, Daredevil). For awhile, it looked like he hung up his acting hat, going to directing. Obviously, that didn't last and his would put in three of his strongest performances to date (The Town, Argo, Gone Girl). So yeah, maybe he is worthy of scorn, maybe some idiots on the internet are overreacting? Who knows?

Robert Downey Jr.: How does a man go from being a pariah to the highest payed actor in the business? Many of his early roles were a little generic (Air America, Johnny Be Good) but then he would do a movie where you could see that, yeah, he's talented (Less Than Zero, Chaplin). Then, he kinda just fell to the wayside, doing a few memorable roles here and there (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Wonder Boys) until Marvel saved him from obscurity (Iron Man). Since then, he's made the most of a career revival, doing both major money roles (Sherlock Holmes, Tropic Thunder) and critical acclaim (The Judge, Tropic Thunder).

Kate Winslet: She's a fucking awesome actress. Sure, she was in Titanic but so was half of Hollywood! She started out with some hugely memorable roles (Heavenly Creatures, Sense and Sensibility) and then when most actresses of her age would be content to be in a dumb romantic comedy, she kept seeking out the challenging prestige roles (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Reader) with the occasional flirting with the main stream (Divergent).

Meryl Streep: The most prolific actress of the last three decades. The woman that could read the phonebook and get an Oscar Nomination for it! Where does one go with her? Difficult leading roles (Sophie's Choice, Doubt, The Iron Lady)? Numerous supporting parts (The Devil Wears Prada, She-Devil, Adaptation)? Or maybe her occasional drift into the mainstream (Mamma Mia, Into the Woods, The Bridges of Madison County)? All we know is that the longer you wait, the more movies she does and gets nominated for.

Angelina Jolie: Remember when she was creepy and there were rumors she might like her brother in the wrong way? How far a career can go! Coming to prominence with films where she expressed her sexuality and an innate desire to push boundaries (Girl Interrupted, Gia), Ms. Jolie would becomes something of a box office draw (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Mr. & Mrs. Smith). More recently, she's normalled out and but she can still unsettle us (Changling, Maleficent).

Ewan McGreggor: The difference between the beginning of Ewan's career and more recently is that you're less likely to see his penis on film these days. Back in the day, it was everywhere (Trainspotting, Velvet Goldmine) but that's not to say that that's all that caught out attention. The dude can fucking act (Moulin Rouge!, Big Fish). He's wandered into the mainstream, all thanks to George Lucas (Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, The Island) but no one's perfect.

• 3 months later...

I think it would be awesome to do an episode featuring an actor with mostly bad work output and decide if they could do better. Maybe Taylor Lautner wouldn't be that bad of a suggestion. So would Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, Elizabeth Berkley, etc.

I'm not including Nic Cage on there because, I think we can all agree, a Nic Cage episode is probably going to require a format break just because of the Eldritch TERROR that is his career.

I'm serious. For my money, he was one of the two best actors in the first Twilight, and I think he can have a career beyond those movies. That said, it would be interesting to view a role from before Twilight and a movie he's done since.