Suggest future actors for the HAA! spotlight

slothian

I'd like to do an Alan Rickman episode, but not as a "head of the queue" deal. Pandy & I discussed covering Christopher Lee after his death and Pandy made the very valid point that he'd be loathe to turn HAA into an obituary podcast. 

Consider the Rickman queued, but not for January/February.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pam Grier: What can you say about a woman who defined an entire genre? She struck it big with films that shifted the entire Blaxploitation genre like Coffy and Foxy Brown. Sadly, she would spend years after the fall of the genre into unpopularity doing lesser work, often as a supporting role in genre films (Class of 1999, Tough Enough, Something Wicked This Way Comes). Thankfully, someone decided to cast her in his tribute to the genre that made her big (Jackie Brown). Sadly, Hollywood still didn't give her the roles she deserved (The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Ghosts of Mars, Ladies of the House).

I still think you guys should cover Christopher Lee at some point.

I am very up for still doing that. The broader point I was making was that we don't want to alter our schedule as an immediate response to an actor passing away. We did that for Robin Williams, and even though the delay of that episode was unrelated to the schedule change, I'd rather that the schedule was not a wholly reactive one.

Edited by slothian

Ditto that, the Prestige remains probably my personal favourite Nolan film. Although I suspect it'll come up in the Jacked Man month.

Oh you guys should do Hugh Jacked Man. I demand the Prestige, The Fountain and just for larks, Real Steel. Added bonus- he is currently alive.

The thing about Hugh Jackman is that Wolverine made him. Since Ian already covered all the X films for Comic Reel-ief, I'd say go with one of his dumb action films like Van Helsing over, say, The Fountain. The downside of his career is, while he has a very bombastic stage presence and can be quite funny, he's only done one musical film and that's the incredibly gloomy Les Miserables. No real comedies either at that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Christopher Walken and Ralph Fiennes. Both have played lots of villains (Max Zorin, Max Shreck, Amon Göth, Ramses II, the Headless Horseman, Francis Dolarhyde, Lord Voldemort, Captain Hook, etc). Both have a share of critical flops (Gigli, The Avengers) but both have undeniable talent and range. For fucks' sake, one of them just played a giant singing orangutan and the other is gonna play LEGO Alfred Pennyworth!

Edited by slothian
Covered, albeit on other podcasts

• 3 weeks later...

Kirsten Dunst: Okay, yeah, she was a sucky Mary Jane. but it might be awesome to see a child actor who matured. She burst into view in Interview with The Vampire playing a vampire trapped in the form of a child over decades. She would be a lead in teen moves for years with roles like Bring it On and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Later, she would finally find herself getting taken seriously after starring in Melancholia.

Edited by slothian
Now covered

Kermit. Significant back catalogue over decades, a variety of roles and choices as a performer. Made the leap from TV into The Muppet Movie but then moves from mere sequel bait into action films like Muppet Treasure Island and smaller more critic-friendly roles like Cratchett in Muppet Christmas Carol. Plus he had a recent career renaissance so there's modern stuff to cover as well.

Kermit. Significant back catalogue over decades, a variety of roles and choices as a performer. Made the leap from TV into The Muppet Movie but then moves from mere sequel bait into action films like Muppet Treasure Island and smaller more critic-friendly roles like Cratchett in Muppet Christmas Carol. Plus he had a recent career renaissance so there's modern stuff to cover as well.

They've done him already.

giphy.gif

Sterling stuff, sir! Particularly as it says you posted this at 5 in the morning - I would personally struggle to replicate such prose and accurate spelling at such an ungodly hour for what is ultimately some frivolous nonsense.

Edited by slothian

I second the Kermit suggestion, but as a Christmas episode.

Whilst I like the thinking behind this, Pandy & I are big fans of The Muppets so there's not going to be much scope for films that one or the other hasn't seen. But plans are afoot to partially redress this....