Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beetlejuice: been a long time since I'd seen this. Nice reminder of how long it takes BJ to really appear. Good reminder, also, of how good Burton used to be at telling a story. And Michael Keaton can show Depp a thing or two about playing an over the top character with heart.

Chomp

He's not Looking So Great: two shorts for an interview I'm doing this week.

Feature Films: 134

Documentaries: 22
Shorts: 19
Rewatches:3

Scream 1, 2, 3, 4: I've made no secret of the fact that the Scream Series is probably my favorite horror series. Around Halloween, I make it a point to rewatch the series. Scream 1 was a revelation to a kid who couldn't even stay in a room with a horror movie and not piss my pants. Scream 2 is my favorite, namely since they're still being meta about the genre but trying to be their own thing. Scream 3 is terrible horse-shit with a few good parts. Scream 4 is a deeply flawed movie that still is worth watching as long as you don't mind the cracks. Overall, I know there's better horror out there and Scream is barely horror as it is but, just for a bit, I'm just happy that I got to geek out over something I love.

Also, Gale Weathers is the real protagonist of this series.

Films: 62
Documentaries: 2
Direct to DVD Films: 6
Short Films: 1
Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 9
Rewatch: 2

School of Rock: perfect film to watch at 7:30 AM on a pissing rainy day with a cup of coffee and my family. This movie never gets old for me. I can't think off the top of my head of another Jack Black film I even like, but this one I've seen a ridiculous amount of times. I've probably watched it this year already, so I'll count this in my "rewatches" category.

Yogi Bear: it's not good, that's for sure. But it has Anna Faris, so that's a thing I guess.

The Dead 2: The Dead was the first zombie film shot in Africa. This one is shot in India.

Feature Films: 136

Rewatches: 4

School of Rock: perfect film to watch at 7:30 AM on a pissing rainy day with a cup of coffee and my family. This movie never gets old for me. I can't think off the top of my head of another Jack Black film I even like, but this one I've seen a ridiculous amount of times. I've probably watched it this year already, so I'll count this in my "rewatches" category.

Funnily enough, saw it recently as well. Great stuff.

Stage Fright: the rare Italian slasher film with nary a hint of giallo in it. Okay, there's musical theatre, but nothing else.

The Mighty Ducks: 20 minutes into this, Davin looks at me and says "This is going to be just like that soccer movie, isn't it?" I laughed my ass off because he was right. He was referring to Will Ferrell's Kicking and Screaming which has the exact same plot as The Mighty Ducks. Emilio is the shit in this movie. Young Joshua Jackson's pretty great too. First time I've seen it since initial release. Holds up pretty well.

Feature Films: 138

Rewatches: 4

Short Circuit: Cute movie. Johnny 5 is a fun enough protagonist. I can see why I've heard so many people talk big of this movie. It raises the interesting question of "What is it to be alive" that most other sci-fi series with robots never bring up *cough*StarWars*cough*. That said, the human characters spend most of the movie being annoying or making me wonder why they're even there. Still, a pretty fun flick.

Gosford Park: If you've never seen the film, think Downton Abby (Helps that the creator of it was the writer of this) with a bit of Clue, right down to having Maggie Smith as a snobbish old aristocrat. The thing about the movie is that it's more akin to Upstairs, Downstairs with the Upstairs being more there out of necessity. The servants are the true focus of the film. This is probably one of Helen Mirren's best performances.

Films: 64

Ghostbusters: I'm sure I've watched it this year so I'll count this as a rewatch. Bill Murray is a genius in this movie. So easy. Ramis is perfect too. Sigourney Weaver is hot both as Dana and Zuul. Classic.

Feature Films: 138

Rewatches: 5

I have long held the belief that the best scene of Ghostbusters is just after the trio catches Slimer. The conman Venkman has no clue what to charge the hotel, so he looks towards the honest (but mad) scientist Dr. Spengler. Egon very subtly places four fingers over his face to indicate $4000 for the first charge. Then he taps his nose with one finger to indicate another $1000 for the second fee.

That moment isn't just about two wonderful comedians playing off one another; it's about revealing that these two characters have more in common than previously revealed. At the end of the day, they're both conmen and that is awesome.

Egon's character is actually quite brilliant. That, combined with his sexual overtones with Nadine are great. I picked up on subtleties like Ray and Venkman drink Budweiser with their Chinese food while Egon drinks Coke. His interplay with Rick Moranis after he is dropped at Ghostbusters HQ by the cops is also brilliant.

My favorite moment, maybe in the entire film, is while Ray and Venkman are walking in after busting some ghosts while Winston is waiting to get hired and Bill Murray is pretty clearly riffing on Ray "not looking so good." It's so bald and plain but so fucking hilarious.

I was known for running around campus, drunk, asking people if they were the gatekeeper, in my younger days. If they didn't respond favorably, I'd tell them they would perish in flames, before hurling myself over a garbage can or something. In short, I'm a Vinz Clortho fan.

Coco Before Chanel: French film starring Audrey Tautou who has grown since the days of Amelie. It's a biopic. I don't have much more to say other than it only deals with her early life, ending with her founding her coture house. I think it's a smart move so they don't have to get into the fact that she was during WW2, a Nazi sympathizer and tried to pull some rather despicable business practices. Still, I won't hold that against the film which, true to form, has some beautiful costumes.

Films: 65