Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

Cruel Intentions 2: First off, it's a failed pilot. Secondly, it has Amy Adams when she was a struggling young actress. That out of the way, I once read a review of this film that posited that the people who wrote it took turns, covering up the previous persons work as they went on. I tend to agree. Nothing nearly anyone does makes narrative sense. Amy Adam's evil plan for the movie is to get one of the characters laid. It's all so incredibly stupid and one of the worst films I have seen. The ending makes no sense and flies in the sense of the first film and everything that had happened prior.

Films: 3

Direct to DVD Films: 3

Rifftrax Assisted Films: 2

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorority Party Massacre: Kevin Sorbo and Ron Jeremy are the biggest names in this movie. The third biggest is Bull from Night Court. I just recorded a review of this movie that doesn't even make mention of Bull from Night Court. If you do a bad movie night, this one is a contender. So bad, it's entertaining.

Feature Films: 23

Documentaries: 5

Shorts: 1

All About Eve: One of my favorite movies of all time. First off, Bette Davis is just terrific. It really is her show but the times that she's not on screen are well supported by Anne Baxter. There are so many great moments and oone of the things that I really picked up on this time was how openly critical the film was of Hollywood without actually being about Hollywood. The theater is portrayed as being real and organic while Hollywood is this distant thing that's considered stagnant lower.

Films: 4

Direct to DVD Films: 3

Rifftrax Assisted Films: 2

Got way behind on posting in here since classes started. I'll try to post more often with thoughts, but for now here's a rundown of what I've been watching.

Film History II

Enthusiasm (Dir. Dziga Vertov, 1934)

L'Atalante (Dir. Jean Vigo, 1934)

It Happened One Night (Dir. Frank Capra, 1934)

Trouble in Paradise (Dir. Ernst Lubitsch, 1932)

Stagecoach (Dir. John Ford, 1939)

The 39 Steps (Dir. Alfred Hitchcock, 1935)

The Rules of the Game (Dir. Jean Renoir, 1939)

The Crime of Monsieur Lange (Dir. Jean Renoir, 1936)

A Day in the Country (Dir. Jean Renoir, 1936)

La Grande Illusion (Dir. Jean Renoir, 1937)

Citizen Kane (Dir. Orson Welles, 1941)

The Magnificent Ambersons (Dir. Orson Welles, 1942)

Meshes of the Afternoon (Dirs. Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid, 1943)

Gun Crazy (Dir. Joseph H. Lewis, 1950)

Essay Film

Sans Soleil (Dir. Chris Marker, 1983)

Statues Also Die (Dirs. Chris Marker, Alain Resnais, and Ghislain Croquet, 1953)

Nostalgia For the Light (Dir. Patricio Guzman, 2010)

Sink or Swim (Dir. Su Friedrich, 1990)

Images of the World and the Inscription of War (Dir. Harun Farocki, 1988)

The Thin Blue Line (Dir. Errol Morris, 1988)

Tongues Untied (Dir. Marlon Riggs, 1989)

Memory and History (Dir. Rea Tajiri, 1991)

Ulysse (Dir. Agnes Varda, 1982)

The Gleaners and I (Dir. Agnes Varda, 2000)

Hotel des Invalides (Dir. Georges Franju, 1952)

Bright Leaves (Dir. Ross McElwee, 2003)

French New Wave

Du cote de la cote (Dir. Agnes Varda, 1958)

La Pointe-Courte (Dir. Agnes Varda, 1955)

Night and Fog (Dir. Alain Resnais, 1955)

Hiroshima mon amour (Dir. Alain Resnais, 1959)

Charlotte and Veronique (Dir. Jean-Luc Godard, 1957)

Les Mistons (Dir. Francois Truffaut, 1957)

The 400 Blows (Dir. Francois Truffaut, 1959)

Le coup du berger (Dir. Jacques Rivette, 1956)

Les Bonnes Femmes (Dir. Claude Chabrol, 1960)

Has the Film Already Started? (Dir. Maurice Lemaitre, 1951)

2013 Catch Up

The Wolverine (Dir. James Mangold)

Pacific Rim (Dir. Guillermo del Toro)

In a World... (Dir. Lake Bell)

Before Midnight (Dir. Richard Linklater)

Feature Films: 27

Short Films: 9

Essay Films: 8

Chris, have you seen F FOR FAKE? It's my second favorite Welles film after TOUCH OF EVIL.

Scorned: The chick from the new 90210 plays a psycho. Covering for the show on Monday.

Rulers of the City: Jack Palance, the guy who's always looked like the world's angriest 80-year-old, is a mob boss who is crossed by the great Al Cliver and and Harry Baer. This is a film that has never been released other than as an addition to the first volume of the Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection. Di Leo is quickjly becoming one of my favorite filmmakers of the era. This one is full of incredibly well-choreographed fight scenes and an incredible car/motorcycle chase in the third act. I love it.

Feature Films: 25

Documentaries: 5

Shorts: 1

Safety Not Guaranteed: Watched this after a conversation on Facebook caused me to go to Netflix. An interesting film that I felt dragged a little and lost my interest twice before I went back properly to it. The last two minutes had me cheering and clapping.

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom: Damn but Idris Elba is a powerhouse of an actor. He carried this film solidly on his shoulders for the entire run time and never let go. Get this man more work, stat. Naomie Harris is brilliant as well. Go see this movie.

Children of Men: I made one of my many many many attempts to get through this film yesterday. I have tried and failed several times - not because its bad but because its so damn bleak. I made it through this time. It's still starkly bleak but its damn good. Although the handheld camera method in some scenes pissed me off on occasion.

Lincoln: Snooze. Fest. What a bore. It's pure, boring award bait. Daniel Day Lewis, while an awesome actor, could not give less of a fuck here. Beautifully made, but just a dull flick.

Young Adult: I watched this for Patton Oswalt and Jason Reitman. I was terribly underwhelmed. Charleze Theron is a wonderful actress, but Diablo Cody can't write a real person to save her life. By the end, the only character I didn't totally LOATHE was Oswalt's Matt. Just awful.

Oswalt did have one line that cracked me up. While talking about the custom action figures he makes he says, and I quote, "This one, I put Copperhead's Head on Mongul's body, so it's like a beefed up Copperhead. And then I added Dr. Midnight's Owl because I was... tired and drunk."

Misery: This is a deeply flawed movie that gets by on the performance of Kathy Bates and the scene with the sledgehammer.

Really? I love Misery.

Here are just some of my reasons.

01: The penguin scene. After knocking the glass penguin over, we see that Paul replaces it in the wrong direction. A few minutes later, a fuss is made about him having to hurry back into his wheelchair and room before Annie returns home. The problem is, by facing the penguin in the wrong direction, we know that's what will trip Paul up, so we know he'll make it back to his room in time, thus undercutting the tension of the scene.

02: Furthermore, it takes Annie weeks (months?) to reveal she knows Paul has been out of his room at least twice, citing the reversed penguin and the stolen knife as her clues. So, this woman who has been shown to fly off the handle at every little thing sat on the knowledge that he's attempted to make at least two escapes?

03: After Annie accidentally / unknowingly botches Paul's attempt to drug her, he never tries to do it again. We're never told exactly how much time passes in the movie, but he had plenty of it to collect more of the drug from his untaken pills, invite Annie to dinner again, and give it another try. Instead, he gives up.

04: The police never go door-to-door, especially after it's known that someone pried Paul out of his car?

05: Speaking of the police, after a while the cop decides the best way to investigate is to read Paul's books. Upon doing so, a line strikes him as being familiar. He sits on that for a while, then realizes he read it in a newspaper some years ago. Who quoted Paul's line? Annie, during her trial. That was the most roundabout way for Annie to get on his radar, and makes zero logical sense.

06: Now thinking Annie might have had something to do with Paul's disappearance, the cop goes to the general store. He asks the owner if Annie has been buying anything odd or different lately. The clerk notes the paper. Not the electric razor, extra food, or even the wine from their dinner together; just the paper.

07: Once the owner tells the cop that Annie has him set aside the first copy of every edition of Paul's books (which was a good clue, I'll admit), he absolutely knows that's where Paul must be. But instead of calling a deputy for backup (small town or not, he must have a deputy), he goes there alone and pays for his trouble. (Also, that's the same fate for Dick Hallorann in The Shining: he knows there's trouble, tells no one, goes it alone, then death.)

08: Why did Annie have a gutted-out phone sitting there? False drama, that's why.

09: Nurse or not, why did Annie have all of those medical supplies? Was she waiting for something like this to happen?

10: How did Paul get back to civilization? He can't drive, because his feet have been destroyed. There's no phone to call for help. And there's no way he crawled to town, not in that weather. The only possible way is for the cop's wife to have tracked her husband to Annie's house through his inquiries at the general store, but how long would that have taken?

There's more, but that's all I have the time for at the moment.

Frozen: Saw this last night (thanks, Internet Fairy!). I am not as blown away by the soundtrack as everyone else seems to be, but otherwise this was utterly fantastic. Loved the story, the characterization of Anna was terrific, and the animation is some of the best I've ever seen. I didn't even mind Josh Gad.

Lincoln: Snooze. Fest. What a bore. It's pure, boring award bait. Daniel Day Lewis, while an awesome actor, could not give less of a fuck here. Beautifully made, but just a dull flick.

Lincoln's great if, like me, you regard it as a doddery old man telling random stories whilst every other character shouts at one another.

Computer Chess (2013) directed by Andrew Bujalski

On the one hand, I liked some aspects of the movie and they definitely did a good job of making the film look like it was made in the 1980's. But on the other hand the film as a whole felt very muddled and disjointed. The acting was very poor, especially from the leads. They tried to do the thing that I hate where they attempt to make the dialogue seem natural, but it just comes off as someone trying to make their dialogue seem natural. Also, I know the crazy editing was intentional, but I found it extremely distracting. I'm not going to act like I understood the entire message of the movie, but even so I'd say give this one a pass.

Feature Films: 5

Documentaries: 2