Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

Catching Fire My wife has read the books, I haven't, so she does have to explain a lot to me. That said, I liked this a lot better than I did in the theatre. Katniss is kind of a "meh" protagonist, but Jennifer Lawerence is so wonderful I don't care. Peeta sucks, Baby Thor is just there for everyone to fantasize about, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks are both good fun, but the movie is the Finnick show. I fucking love that dude, from his straight-from-the-comics Aquaman character to murderin' baboons with a trident.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, I'd watch the fuck out of that.

Shakma: Who knew you could so thoroughly waste a premise about a killer baboon hunting down a bunch of LARPers after hours in a college building? We'll find a way to watch this for C2E2.

Ghostbusters: Didn't really watch this as a kid, partially due to my parents. Saw it for the first time a few years ago, the summer I got out of college, and rewatched it again recently due to Ramis' death. Absolutely wonderful and fun.

Velvet Goldmine: Drama about glam rock with a thinly veiled David Bowie analogue with Ewan McGregor, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Christian Bale set up like Casablanca? Hell yes. One of those movies you see and rewatch at least once a year because of the awesome.

Room 237: all of history and time is a flat circle unending spread before my eyes. Go backwards and forwards to the moon landing. all hail the minotaur

I feel like maybe something is wrong with me because ROOM 237 didn't cause some bizarre lasting effect on my sani----OH MY GOD!!! MY NOSE WON'T STOP BLEEEEEEEDINGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Elevator of Blood to a room full of earthly delights turning to ash in our mouth.

All hail the Minotaur.

The Bourne Identity: This movie doesn't hold up incredibly well. Damon is great and so is Potente. You don't see a hell of a lot of anybody else. The action is shaky, other than the car ride, it doesn't work very well. The directing is sloppy and all over the place. The opening ten minutes are pretty amateur, but the film eventually gels and has some great moments. The script does an amazing job of condensing a 600 page novel into 2 hours. In fact, it could be held up as a film school example of adaptation. I recall the second being much better, so we'll probably get to that this week. The first three are on Netflix.

Feature Films: 37
Documentaries: 10
Shorts: 13

The action is shaky, other than the car ride, it doesn't work very well.

I recall the second being much better, so we'll probably get to that this week.

I saw the second one in the first row of a movie theater. Anytime there was action on-screen, I felt like I was going to die.

When the shakycam trend dies a horrible death, I will be pleased.

It feels like we're on the tail end of it all. I can't remember if we discussed in in our review but Catching Fire pretty much did away with all of the shakey cam from the first one. You're going to keep getting it in horror and found footage but I really do think less will be popping up from this point.

Scooby Doo! WrestleMania Mystery: About what you would expect. It's far from the best thing Scooby Doo but it has moments of self-awareness and it does the fan service for the wrestling geeks good enough. Some of the wrestlers that appear are questionable but ehh, whatever, The Miz gets flattened by a Demon Bear in the first few minutes. Good enough for me.

Films: 11

Documentaries: 1

Direct to DVD Films: 4

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 4

The Bourne Supremacy: I think this is a more entertaining film, but I'm not sure it's better. The shaky cam is fuckdiculous in this one. We get so little of Karl Urban when he's the ONLY THING tying the first half an hour into the rest of the film. Which brings me to this one aimlessly walking around and then stumbling over a plot. It's ponderous. That all said, Joan Allen is a delight. Interesting to see Michelle Monaghan as a desk analyst in this one (Walton Goggins was one in the first film). The car crash, which I remember being the most spectacular part of this one, is unimpressive.

We're moving into the two I haven't seen this week as well.

Feature Films: 38

Wolf of Wall Street: Funny and completely ridiculous until you remember that this asshole is still around and living and got away with three years in jail alone. Just... it's an incredibly weird mood I'm left with on it, and I'm gonna need to see it again to cement my feelings on it.

GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling - It was entertaining and touching documentary. It never dragged and at only 76 minutes it did not overstay its welcome. But I just cannot shake the feeling something was missing to make this a more complete look back.

Goddammit. I wrote awhole bunch of shit and then my finger brushed my mouse and i went back a page and lost it all.
Here it is in a nutshell:

GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling - It was entertaining and touching documentary. It never dragged and at only 76 minutes it did not overstay its welcome. But I just cannot shake the feeling something was missing to make this a more complete look back.

I think it was the lack of network/management input. Without those, which they tried but failed to get, it was only one side of the story.

The Bourne Ultimatum: The best of the first three films by far. The action is better, the acting is better and the shakycam is far more tolerable. The car scene in this is, I dare to say, one of the best I've ever seen. It's smart too, which I felt the first two lacked. Who the fuck thought Julia Styles was movie-star material? Looking forward to Legacy.

World War Z: Way better than the critics said. It's a 200 million dollar version of a zombie movie. The CGI bugged the fuck out of me but the first and third acts are great. Which is more than you can say for basically every blockbuster released today. The two negatives are: it drags in the middle and it bears little resemblance to the book of the same name.

Feature Films: 40

Dude, Bourne Legacy tried really hard to have something to do with the other films but in the end it just doesn't. In fact, if the events of Legacy were taking place they'd actually make the other trilogy completely redundant. The trailer alone mentions or shows Bourne half a dozen times but Matt Damon is not in the film at any stage.

I'll explain more once you've seen it.

I think it was the lack of network/management input. Without those, which they tried but failed to get, it was only one side of the story.

Yep. That would be what was missing.

The Bourne Legacy: Yup. The best movie in the entire run. So bizarre that the quality of films rating I have in order of best to worst is 4,3,2,1. Renner is great. Norton is great. HOW THE FUCK HAS RACHEL WEISZ NOT AGED IN 20 YEARS?!!! The motorcycle chase is better than anything in any of the other Bourne movies by far. The fighting is well-choreographed and directed beautifully with mercifully little shakycam to mask ineptitude. There is a little shakycam, but I think it needs to be there for brand recognition. I loved this movie. As far as attempting to relate to the other films in the series, this is not the only film to blame. In fact, the second film doesn't make any sense without the first, and the third is only a little better than that. I'd like to see Renner and Damon face off against each other.

Berberian Sound Studio: upcoming DM

Feature Films: 42

Des, really? I mean, besides the genetic supersoldier thing making the entire plot of the first three films completely null and void this just lacked the sheer globetrotting kineticism of Supremacy and Ultimatum. And that's not to do down the cast, it's just that Jason Bourne so clearly drives the series in every way that you can't change him out for someone else. His search for identity, the murder of Marie, his game of cat and mouse with the security services and pitting those internal elements against each other, all of it is better than Legacy which I found a pretty lukewarm affair.

Sorry, I'm probably a little too close to the original trilogy having watched them all as they came out. Plus I totally understand how shakycam is a divisive deal.

The "globetrotting kineticism" of the first three is a major problem for me. He's one of the most wanted men in the world, but in one scene he's in Naples, and then Moscow, then India. Why not, right? At least in Legacy, they detail how difficult it is to travel for people on the run from the CIA.

Well, seeing as there's basically free travel within europe and he gets picked up on his flight from India as part of his plan, the only time his ability to cross borders goes without comment or justification is his arrival in New York, which is acknowledged as taking weeks.

Well, it's not that that cements the films as troublesome. They're clumsily directed and mired in poor storytelling. They're good, but not great. none of them really are. Speaking of...

Frozen: this proof of concept for a Broadway musical was painful. The first half is one of the lamest animated films I've ever seen. It gets better near the end, but not enough to save it. Yuck.

Feature Films: 43

Stiff Odds: Well, by the standard definition of what is a movie, this was a movie. By the Tranquil Tirades definition of a movie, nope, it wasn't. This was a random assortment of images, very few of which made sense, that just kinda happened in conjunction with one another.

Films: 12

Documentaries: 1

Direct to DVD Films: 4

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 4