Special 02: 2013 Retrospective

RSS

After nearly 30 hours of editing, we humbly bring you a look back at the year that was 2013. All of the movies, all of the rants, all of the pain. [ 2:59:44 || 87.4 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/tranquiltirades/episodes/tranquiltiradesspecial_002.mp3

Guys, whether you listen to the show or not, please try to get this out to as many people as you can.

I conceived this as a primer/starting off point for new listeners, and I really don't want all of that effort to go to waste.

Hate to be the one stick in the mud but I really enjoy the Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever episode as well as the first era of the show. That being said 2013 was a tough year for you guys and I thank you for gritting your teeth through the pain. Seriously stoked for 2014 and yeah that teaser only cemented my excitement.

Hate to be the one stick in the mud but I really enjoy the Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever episode as well as the first era of the show. That being said 2013 was a tough year for you guys and I thank you for gritting your teeth through the pain. Seriously stoked for 2014 and yeah that teaser only cemented my excitement.

There are moments during the BEVS episode that are quite funny. It's just that you have to wade through so much drunken stupidity from Cole that it's hard to find them. And I agree--there are several very high quality episodes during "that" era--Chun-Li, The Room, Wicker Man, Kazaam, Birdemic, even the Showgirls one I think is really funny.

Consider your marketing request carried out on my part!

As for the Tirades as a whole, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard the Cole era, no matter the acrimony of how it ended and the content resulting from it. Speaking as someone who had to edit a LOT of unsavoury material in the For Your Ears Only days, even if Adham and I are still good pals to this day, some of Cole's drunken stupidity sounded awesome to us listeners. Not so much the pissing, but I still find Episode 4 to have some good bits to go back to. Obviously, the Tirades is James's creation and Dubs has put considerable man hours into the project, but I'd be disappointed if Cole & his (somewhat obscene) contribution was whitewashed from the wiki Benoit-style.

I'll admit I have been tempted at times to go back into certain episodes (BEVS) and not completely remove him (that would cause those episodes to become really confusing), but considerably cut down the amount of times we hear him. I've long since decided against that. I'm not going to just Tabula Rasa everything involving Michael. He was part of the show, so we aren't going to just ignore everything he was involved with. I'll be the first to admit it was a mistake allowing him to just be on the show out of nowhere, but keep in mind, when I made that decision, he and I were best friends. I thought it would be good to make it a 3-person show, and obviously, there have been at least a half-dozen episodes that proved it can be.

Still, when you get down to it, the show has dramatically improved in quality, flow, and intelligence without him there bantering and interrupting with stupid, pointless shit constantly. He will still have his place in the annals of our show's history and on the Wiki, though.

I certainly know what it means to produce a podcast with a best friend then Benoit them, and it's a though decision to make. You two have made your decision, you're standing by that, and I fully support and respect it.

As for this episode, though I've yet to finish it, I will say now: this is so much fun!

I think it's pretty obvious that I didn't like Cole and resented the fact that he was added to the show at what felt like the last minute. It got worse when I discovered that he saw us as just supporting players and thought the Tirades was some sort of starring vehicle for him, as if he were the source of all of the fun and comedy and we were just along for the ride. I didn't want the show to turn into a frat boy locker room podcast, and it started to feel that way, which nearly killed the show for good. The only reason I put up with him was for James. You can quite literally hear moments in those shows when I bit my tongue or just didn't say anything while he rambled on about some immature bullshit. What you didn't hear was all of the bickering he and I did. I'm sort of amazed we got as much out of the trio as we did considering you will not find two human beings with less in common than Damien Wilkens and Michael Cole.

All of that said, I have no time in my life to harbor resentment for people. It would be a long list anyway, but the worst thing he really ever did to me was annoy the piss out of me and make it really difficult to enjoy creating something with my best friend. James has a much more legitimate ax to grind, but even he's said it's just something we need to move on from. He was on the show. I don't particularly like listening to those episodes now, but I don't like listening to myself anyway. Whitewashing him would make it feel like I wasted all of those hours working on those shows, and while I can have my doubts, I'd like to think that I didn't.

And hopefully that's the last we"ll ever have to say on the matter.

I remember when I first heard the name Michael Cole mentioned on the list I thought it said "Michael Coe." I got really excited because ever since i read the book "The True History of Chocolate" I have loved his work. Especially his writings on Mayan Archaeology. If it were not for the fact that he was professor emeritus I would have worked harder at trying to get into his alma mater of Yale University.

. . . in retrospect I should have known better.