Help influence Episode 4!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 2, our subject will be Christian Bale.

NB) We will not be reviewing any of the films in the Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy, as I covered them (at length!) in the Dark Knight Discussions.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Sunday 9th February, so get your ideas in before then!

Empire of the Sun, American Psycho, The Fighter. Empire of the Sun is where Bale first enjoyed critical acclaim, American Psycho is where he truly rose to prominence, and The Fighter is where he won his Oscar as well as being an example of how he transforms himself. I'd suggest American Hustle instead of The Fighter but it's still in theaters so I don't know if you guys want to have to go to the cinema to see a film.

Equilibrium because it's a decent Sci-fi action film that has Seans Pertwee and Bean in it. American Psycho because it's a film that hangs on Bale's central performance (Plus you'll never hear Hip to be Square in quite the same light again) and The Prestige because it's Bale working with Nolan outside of Batman and is an interesting film.

The Prestige could be a good one because of...well, I don't want to spoil the ending but it's a great venue to see how he acts opposite certain characters in certain situations. For the purposes of the show, I think that would be a great choice.

American Psycho's a must though. It's the one major performance of his that the world always goes back to.

• 3 weeks later...

American Pyscho is really the only nonnegotiable. Otherwise, The Prestige is one of my favorites of his, and Newsies is good for its WTF/"I can't believe that was him in that" factor. Also, in terms of "one of these things is not like the other", Terminator: Salvation.

• 1 month later...