• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just watched the season 3 premiere, and I can say it was a damn better deal than the season 2 opener which felt like a wasted opportunity. There were a lot of things to like. Carlos Valdes was reliably funny as "evil" Cisco (A really fun line was "My money needs me"), the scenes between Gustin and Matt Lescher were freaking fire, and Candice Patton did a great job in this episode as Iris. I also really loved the majority of the episode just smacking Barry on the back of the head yelling "STOP. FUCKING. WITH. THE. TIMELINE!"

I'm of two minds to the resolution. On the one hand I dreaded a season-long arc of everybody re-learning everything we know and Barry being potentially powerless again, so we thankfully avoided that. On the other it feels like a waste to throw away an entire season's worth of potential in a single episode. Luckily not all that we know is the same, which is a solid hook.

It wasn't perfect, some of the potential was definitely squandered a bit, but overall I found it to be a solid return for the show. I'm betting Chris might be more down on it, but we shall see..!

Ha ha, well...

I was disappointed with the second season, so I really wanted to come out of tonight's premiere re-energized for the show. But yeah, I was let down. When they announced that there were going to be two major villains, I figured Flashpoint would probably last until mid-season, which would be a good amount a time to explore the idea. Covering it in one episode, it's reduced to just a way to shake up the "real" timeline. This isn't the first time Barry's changed the timeline, so the hype going into this was all flash (dammit) and no substance for something that could have been a mid-season episode. As a testament to how much this episode was a plot device rather than a story, there's so much of the writing that feels half-assed because the writers knew it was one and done. I brought up sloppiness in the writing several times last season, and I went with sloppy because I gave them the benefit of the doubt. But now it's Season 3; at this point, bad writing is bad writing. 

Why do Wally and Iris buy Barry's story about knowing who Wally is? The answer is that Iris can "feel" that the timeline isn't right and Barry has a connection to her, but come on, that's just a shortcut because they aren't giving any time to exploring this. Oh, and so that even though Barry was a creepy weirdo asking her out, they can still have romantic scenes between the two. Why doesn't Barry know about Cisco and what happened to S.T.A.R. Labs when he's been there three months? Why the hell is Caitlin brought in other than to make sure we get the point about how important the team is? Barry can save the multiverse but he can't find a jackass like The Rival? Speaking of...why does The Rival reveal who he is other than so we recognize him in the stinger at the end? Why does Barry still know who everybody is when he's losing his memories of them? It's completely rushed through, with the ending taking precedence over how events fit together to reach that ending.

The one bright spot in the episode was Matt Letscher. Him going on and on about Flashpoint (so pleased with himself for the name) while Barry deadpans about his dinner, smugly lording his knowledge of time travel over Barry, and of course yelling at Barry that he's the villain, were great Reverse-Flash moments. And then there's the pleasure that Thawne takes in getting Barry to say that, in admitting that they need to go back in time, he is asking Thawne to kill his mother. How can the writers nail moments like this, but let things that would stick out with a few seconds thought get through?

There's still a whole season ahead, so I'm sure things will pick up once we get into the actual story they want to tell, but it wasn't the start I was hoping for.

As usual I cannot disagree with any of those points. The Caitlin thing in particular was pretty lame. But as well, I also loved Thawne "I WANT YOU TO SAY IT". Awesome.

Also I forgot to mention, it took me more than a minute to recognize Mendez from the 90s Flash show! That was pretty cool, and I hope he comes back. I do like the idea of the original timeline never being fully restored, some things could be adjusted more to my liking.

This was a weird one. I liked the ideas of a lot of it, but the execution didn't match them. Having the conflict between Joe and Iris stem from him not telling her her mother was still alive is odd because...that should've been her reaction in the first place? It was a smart choice to have Dante die from being hit by a drunk driver instead of in some super-villain fight, grounds it more. Another example of Carlos Valdes' range too. And the dinner scene, as sitcom as the set-up was, was pretty uncomfortable. But man, how big of a dumbass can Barry be? Once he figured out there were changes, he should've been careful in navigating his conversations until he figured things out. Having him say things like "oh, Captain Singh's back" is just eye-rolling. And then he thinks that changing the timeline again would be a smart idea, knowing what's happened. He's done this before, he's been warned about the dangers of time travel, and yet he's acting like it's the first time. I liked the conversation with John Wesley Shipp, but it shouldn't have been necessary. And then everybody, who have legitimate reasons to be pissed at him, are on his side again. Iris calling what Barry did a mistake and comparing it to Cisco telling Cold Barry's identity (which itself was the result of a timeline alternation) was underplaying the situation and a false equivalence. I wonder if Diggle's going to punch him in the face the next time he sees him for replacing his daughter with a son? I like that Dr. Alchemy's tied to Barry changing the timeline, but his costume looks like it cost $5 and Tobin Bell isn't Tony Todd. Other positives: the Flash save at the beginning was great, and I'm glad Tom Felton got to keep his accent. 

I had a ton of fun with this. Season 2 had a mix of decent episodes, kinda lame episodes, and episodes that were just straight up emblematic of why this show is so beloved. The character interactions and the acting were all on point for this one. My one concern is that Wally has become for this early part in the season what Iris was last year. There's honestly no real reason for Wally to be at STAR Labs, even if he knows who Barry is. At least with Iris now there's romance aspect that justifies her presence in the action.

But I thought this was a very solid one. I think with Barry changing the timeline thing, it's become a meme of both the show and online that that's his thing, so I loved the show just telling him to stop by demonstrating permanent consequences for it. And we still don't know all that's changed. But the fights with the Rival were cool, and I like his character. He's not a scheming speedster, he's just a tool super villain who happens to be a speedster. That costume's pretty dorky but the actor gave enough of an energetic performance that he made it work. Plus it worked having his scenes be shot at night. Tom Felton was really good as well. I really like how his presence will demand more attention spent on Barry at his job, as that's been a perfectly good area for story potential that's been mostly ignored.