Episode 136

RSS

The guys suffer through background noise, play the trailer for their next project, and Mike loses his mind over people who think computers are Mythical Wonder Boxes from the Future. As for Doctor Who, Clara is uploaded ("The Bells of Saint John") and a little girl must sing a god to sleep ("The Rings of Akhaten"). [ 1:23:00 || 40.1 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_136.mp3

I like Bells of Saint John, but being a "techno thriller" it is going to date so badly, with all it's iPads and wifi and social media references. Anyone remember WOTAN? And the Shard was a big deal in the UK at least, being the tallest building in London and having only just opened quite soon before this episode aired, so that all adds into the firmly contemporary feel they were going for.

Rings of Akhaten frustrated me on first watch, mainly because I was waiting for the plot to really kick in, which it never felt it did. The second watch I found it much more enjoyable, though, probably because I knew where it was going - namely nowhere near the Indiana Jones vibe the movie poster gave.

I like Bells of Saint John, but being a "techno thriller" it is going to date so badly, with all it's iPads and wifi and social media references. Anyone remember WOTAN? And the Shard was a big deal in the UK at least, being the tallest building in London and having only just opened quite soon before this episode aired, so that all adds into the firmly contemporary feel they were going for.

That makes sense. Similar to how the Post Office/BT Tower was such a big deal when The War Machines aired.