Star Trek Beyond

I can understand his feelings since it's a change to a character that he's played for half a century. Good change or bad change, that's always going to be different, and there's no one way to react to things like this in the ever-changing current times. Because it's not the same universe, it's far easier to see this as a positive change. Ultimately I think it's great, but I can understand his feelings.

I think saying "Gene envisioned this character as straight" is a specious argument though, since the original series is oppressively heteronormative. I doubt seriously there was any special consideration to making the characters straight, it was just another ingredient to Rodenberry's horrific gender politics.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans of the original think it ruins their version. 

I have heard nothing but rejoicing from fans.  

I was talking about reboots in general. George thinks they are going against Gene's wishes, when it doesn't matter because Gene has been out of the picture for a long time. As long as the overall theme is the same, little things don't matter. It was a tribute to him and what he has done for LGBT relations, and he can't even take a compliment. 

Personally, I'm glad to see it. As one of the queer members of these boards, I'm always glad to see some good representation in popular media. And honestly, while I can see where George is coming from, I'm also of the opinion that he's not making himself look very good at the moment. 

Making Sulu a homosexual reminds me of the 2005 Dukes of Hazzard movie making Uncle Jesse a stoner because he was played by Willie Nelson. This is an even looser connection than that, because it's a nod to an actor who hasn't played the part for 30 years.

Let fantasy be fantasy and reality be reality. This is either pandering or agenda-pushing.

Let fantasy be fantasy and reality be reality. This is either pandering or agenda-pushing.

You make it sound so sinister, as though this is an agenda that will hurt the franchise or fandom as byproduct. And "pandering"? To whom, audiences who are never as "pandered" to as others? 

Was Sulu ever shown as straight on the original show or movies? I can't recall them ever even addressing his private life. 

His daughter is introduced in the 7th movie, but we hear nothing about her mother or a wife or female lover for Sulu.

Don't think he has any female love interests in TOS, but I haven't seen the third season. Evil Sulu was salivating over Uhura, though.

• 2 weeks later...

It was okay. Loses its way a bit in the second act, but the first and third are pretty solid.

Initially thought that Krall was a crap villain and a huge waste of Idris Elba, but once the twist about him arrived, his actions and motivations made much more sense. Jaylah was a nice addition too.

Edited by You Know Who

• 3 weeks later...