Episode 06: Samuel L. Jackson

RSS

The Brothers Wilson tackle their most charismatic subject to date: Samuel L. Jackson. Narrowing down the wealth of options that his filmography provides, Ian and Pandy review legal drama A Time to Kill, underrated Tarantino gem Jackie Brown, and whatever the hell Snakes on a Plane is. Along the way, opinions are censored, echo-effects are added, and the brothers take some time out to rank Quentin Tarantino's output. And despite Pandy releasing the worst jingle of his short career, the madness has spread to the feedback. [ 2:31:58 || 64.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/heyanactor/episodes/heyanactor_006.mp3

Belting episode as always gents. I agree that Jackie Brown is a massively underrated film and is the Tarrentino film I probably watch the most often. I find it interesting that given QT's reputation for graphic violence that there is very little in display in Jackie Brown. Beaumont's shooting is done in a very long crane shot and Bridget Fonda is shot offscreen.

I think that the fact that it is an adaptation is also in its favour. There is a case to be made that a lot of his films could stand to be tighter but because he's adapting a book be clearly loves he doesn't go on too many flights of fancy.

P.S. You are both wrong about Agents of SHIELD.

Little over half an hour left, but JESUS JONES is this episode hysterical!

I've always wanted to see A Time to Kill, and will put genuine effort into doing so after listening to your review. Snakes on a Plane: my friends and I were definitely into the hype as it was high school, and while Ian's review was 100% on the mark, I do remember us leaving the theater having had a fun time. I checked out Jackie Brown from my college library based on Tom and Derrick's praise of it, and I found myself seriously bored to tears. I only got through the first hour before returning it. I should probably give it another chance, as it's been a couple of years and maybe I was just impatient.

I would definitely second Pandy checking Sam Jack out in Django Unchained. Personally I think that's the best performance I've ever seen him give, as he is an utterly detestable yet complex character. I daresay he almost disappears in the role.

django-jackson.jpg

And now I'm going to Wikipedia to look up a synopsis for the Devil's Rejects.