Live action Tick series might be returning

JackFetch

Amazon might be reviving the live action Tick series.

While Amazon has yet to publicly talk about “The Tick,” Ben Edlund — the creator of the Tick comic book series — took to twitter to say “Yes for now suffice it to say the dream of a new live-action Tick is being pursued with vigor.”

http://www.craveonline.com/tv/articles/753191-tick-creator-confirms-live-action-revival-development?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tick-creator-confirms-live-action-revival-development

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's not terrible.

The tone is interesting in that it's a reasonably straightforward superhero adventure story that happens to have an insane cartoon character in it. Peter Serafinowicz is kind of too old and doesn't have the body type, but godDAMN does he have the voice and manner down, plus he's Peter Motherfucking Serafinowicz, so in the end I feel like he works. The costume is a lot less cringeworthy in motion than it appeared in stills. Jackie Earle Haley was in it for about 30 seconds and owned every shred of his screentime. Plus, I laughed out loud, more than once, and I never, ever do that when watching TV. I hope I get to see more.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

One of the things I liked about the pilot was its tone - the world was relatively straightforward (considering the fact that superheroes/villains were a thing), but the Tick himself was the same OTT explosion of ridiculous insanity he usually is, and the juxtaposition was intetesting. This looks sillier, but that may be because it's so Tick-centric.

Either way, I'm gonna give it a shot. 

• 1 month later...

This wasn't bad. While it's a smidge wackier than the pilot was, it's still considerably less over-the-top than The Tick usually is, and it's kind of a weird feel. The cast is uniformly excellent; I fully expected Serafinowicz and Haley to kick ass, and they do, but Yara Martinez is really doing terrific work here, and Alan Tudyk once again shows that he is the best at playing snarky AI characters. The important thing, though, is that Serafinowicz is pitch-perfect in his delivery and frequently even sounds like Warburton.

Still, while the Warburton series ind of drove home that The Tick as originally presented - a hugely wacky, insane cartoon - could only work so far as live action, the fact that this is so toned down makes it not feel quite right. (There are also a fair number of F-bombs being tossed, which I normally would barely even notice, but feels really weird coming from this property.) It's funny and I hope we get more, but it did take a few episodes for me to settle into it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2017 at 12:14 PM, Dan said:

I fully expected Serafinowicz and Haley to kick ass, and they do, but Yara Martinez is really doing terrific work here

I really enjoyed it. The first time I saw it I thought Warburton was doing the voice of Serafinowicz, a reverse Darth Maul. I liked the character of Overkill. I had the idea for a character named Overkill but it was more based off of the Joel Schumacher Batman and Robin and how they were always changing costumes with new toys and vehicles.