Supergirl

JackFetch

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook went a-buzz with this week's Supergirl, so I'm playing catch-up and am currently one episode behind. I'm liking the show, it's telling its own story and I'm liking the development of Supergirl and Jimmy. It's still not as strong as Flash but it's a perfectly fine show. I'm enjoying the variety.

I can't believe they went there with Martian Manhunter. I thought it was going in a completely different direction. I have a feeling we won't see him as MM very often. I heard Toyman was going to be in a future episode. I wonder if they have the balls to kill off Kat's kid like in the comic?

Edited by JackFetch

"Human For a Day" is easily the best episode of the first half of the season. One of my problems with the show is that it often feels more like a lecture about doing good (notably in the conversations between Kara and Cat at the top of each episode) than a story about someone doing good. That was mitigated in this episode because the scene where a powerless Supergirl talked down a thief was such a pure "S" scene. Between that and Kara failing to save someone, it was the best showcase of an already great Melissa Benoist. The scene where Alex attacked Jemm with everything she had was also the first time I bought her as the badass they say she is. I hope they look to this episode for the rest of the season.

Winn is still a fuck stick though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/12/cbs-president-hints-the-flash-supergirl-crossover-might-be-in-th/

I'm down for a Barry and Kara crossover for no greater reason than the two shows tonally are exactly the same. Like they almost have to be in the same universe based on the tones alone. But it would have to be a Supergirl episode in which Barry would be a more experienced, veteran Flash who would know Superman. It wouldn't work in this still nascent DC CW TV Universe.

It's totally doable, but not on the same level as a Arrow/Flash crossover.

Caught up with "Blood Bonds".

Wynn: "I know you're lying Jimmy. What did you really find out?"
Jimmy: "...close the door."
Me: "Alright, here's where Jimmy finally kills him!"

It's been a while since I've seen the whole "I must prove to X I'm not X!" plot, and it ended in a predictable beat. I'm never really crazy about all the Krypton stuff, as it's not terribly well acted and I find it hard to not question why Superman wouldn't investigate himself. Like, it's totally fine if Kara gains her own rogues gallery, but this type of story screams Superman's appearance.

But IDK, I'm really having fun watching this show. Jimmy's awesome. I know for some Superman fans it's a real culture shock seeing him so not-nerdy, but Mechad Brooks is so charming that he's pretty much my favorite character. I also like how they're working Maxwell Lord. He balances both sides of the good and dark side well, and they really got a solid actor to portray him.

The pacing of this episode was a bit iffy. Like the plot stopped dead to have Kara just appear at CatCO just to further the Cat plot. If this were Spider-Man, Peter would be missing from the Daily Planet until the main plot was resolved. Still, despite it all I'm having fun.

^That's definitely true for this most recent episode. Normally I think he's handled fine.

The Toyman ep ran through the motions of parental-child angst, but it did give the guy playing Wynn his final chance to capitalize on his acting. He did a great job, and like season 1 of Flash, I love that the unrequited love subplot culminated naturally and wasn't dragged out for several years.

My favorite scene in this fairly run-of-the-mil episode was the last one between Kara and Alex. Like Barry and Joe hanging out, I liked seeing the two characters chill and be easy together. The shock ending floored me legitimately

This week's was actually one of my favorite episodes so far, because it was more like a superhero show. Henry Czerny gave a supervillain performance on the level of the better one shot actors on The Flash, and, for as much as I hate Winn, Jeremy Jordan was great. The cliffhanger was an annoying "forget about everything we've established for this reveal" though.

When comparing the MM subplot to the build-up of Firestorm in season 1 of the Flash, I like this better because the Firestorm plot went on too long and was ultimately at the expense of Barry's story. This Martian Manhunter subplot was short, sweet, and made excellent use of David Harewood. Once they reveled him to be J'onn J'onzz, he's been knocking it out of the park as that character. Perfect casting. I also thought the Cat/Adam subplot was pretty good and gave Jameson some nice emotional moments while still keeping her Jameson. Also while Jimmy took a backseat Wynn was all-but entirely absent. Actually I feel bad for the guy a little...but still.

I also like how these episodes keep having cliffhangers for the next one, which feel more like a comic's next issue final page teaser.