Supergirl

JackFetch

"Caught up" (seeing as how as I type this the most recent episode is currently airing) with the Truth, Justice and American Way episode. The more I thought about the last one, the more annoyed I got so I took some time away from this show before watching both it and LoT simultaneously.

I'm finding I like the personal interaction stuff 100x more than when the show tries to be serious. I like Jimmy, Wynn's grown on me since he's gone all lovesick depressed, Cat is very well acted and entertainingly douchey, and Melissa Benoist stretches her comedic acting muscles during those scenes. The DEO stuff has routinely been a snooze-fest, and Chyler Leigh at this stage in the series has been so consistently unconvincing as a badass DEO master fighter that it pulls me outta the show. The fight scenes are actually generally decent and despite the awfully awkward wire-work, feel like they're going for comic book level fighting. How far we've come from the days of Smallville where everyone would just get tossed around.

I hated Jimmy's dilemma with Lucy, and I can't believe he asked Kara to reveal her identity to Lucy to save his relationship. I was stunned by the gall.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with this most recent episode I think we've found the show's best villain. And from a former Supergirl no less! Laura Vandervoot was surprisingly entertaining as Indigo. She was effectively sinister and I honestly thought her makeup looked better than Mystique's. She had those big evil eyes when she was blue, I really want to see her again. She was great.

I liked the ending. The final scene between the DEO team was well acted and emotional, and I like the continued Jimmy/Kara shipping.

Man, I've had it with self-righteous comic fans and their "Supergirl is Superman done right as opposed to Man of Steel" narrative. In "Truth, Justice, and The American Way," Supergirl has to learn that it's wrong to hold Maxwell Lord without due process. Now, it doesn't bother me, because she's thinking with anger and still learning to become a hero. But the comic fans who act like Supergirl always does the right thing and has never made mistakes are just willfully ignoring what's happening in front of them.

I thought this Red K episode was rad as hell. I really enjoyed it. YEAH, it's a plot Smallville whored out for years, but Melissa Benoist was amazing cutting loose as she did. She didn't so much play Kara evil as she played her really liking being bad, and it didn't feel the least bit forced. Overall I thought the writing was top-notch from start to finish.

It did get a lot of play on Smallville, but those are some of the better episodes because Tom Welling actually got to act.  Here, we got to see another side of Melissa Benoist's acting ability, which is great as always. I liked her the most at the beginning when she was snidely dismissive of everyone as Kara, but her dialing it up later worked too. Because of Chyler Leigh not quite nailing the emotional scenes, Supergirl's "you gonna cry" bit made me laugh.

Once again, I'm amused by Supergirl covering the same ground as the current DC films and getting praised for it. Everybody turning on Supergirl so fast was surprisingly cynical for this show. I liked that the Red Kryptonite didn't just make her evil, but that, like on Smalville, it brought out thoughts she's kept bottled up. Even better, there was some truth in them. Maxwell Lord creating Red K really felt like the creators bending over backwards to not involve Superman when he should've been part of it though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 17: "Manhunter" a.k.a. "Origins" a.k.a. "Racism is bad M'Kay". Kinda lame. Douchey army guy is douchey. Lucy Lane's not a character I care much about.

The ending with Siobhan was weird. When Cat says "I turned to someone who's been obsessively observing Kara for the past two years" and the camera reveals Wynn, my instinct reaction was to say out loud "Ewww!" And who the hell can track typing speed on a hard drive? Is that even a thing?

Apparently the actress is engaged to Robbie Amell, and has been with him since 2008. Neat.

I thought it started out fantastically. The first couple of scenes of Kara and Barry interacting were some of the most fun I've watched from any of these shows all year. The scene when he's giving everyone ice cream (Melissa Benoist was brilliant in how absorbed she was for the rest of the scene in her cone) and explaining to Wynn and the others about the multiverse was my favorite. The plot overall was goofy, from the pretty lame Silver Banshee plot (unfortunately that look did not look good on the actress) to the sappy CW Jimmy jealousy stuff. Honestly it never sunk the episode for me though, just kept it from being stellar. Barry and Kara had such immediate and natural chemistry that I'm hoping at some point everything merges and we get to see them interact more often.

The flash effects were totally outstanding. Not that the effects on the CW show are bad, but they definitely enjoy their stock images of Barry running. Him bursting through the breach to save Kara and running into the DEO looked terrific.

• 2 weeks later...

If I do merit cretin status, you gotta mention it on a recording; it just doesn't ring without an accent.

Duly noted! Although I don't know where I'd be sending such a file whilst I remain ignorant of a dedicated podcast that would play it.