Supergirl

JackFetch

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't until after the show where I pondered on it, but Tom Welling really was a weak-ass lead. He had his moments, like whenever Red Kryptonite made him a dick, but for the most part he was terrible and uninterested in not being terrible.

I'm not a mind reader, so I can't claim to know what his feelings actually were, but it always seemed clear to me that he was embarrassed to be on that show.

I hope they get away from the preachiness of season 1. Every episode we had to get a speech by Cat Grant about how hard it is to be a woman in a man's world and that Kara can do anything she puts her mind to as long as she doesn't compromise her principles. Not every episode should have a moral to the story. Just have fun with the characters.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mon-El and Miss Martian will appear, as the show continues to course correct like there's no tomorrow. 

I'm trying to remember what we said in our episode (plug), but aside from the villains and Alex Danvers I don't remember if there's a ton the show needs to change in order to be better. All the actors are likeable, and it's pretty straightforward as a super hero show. Just needs better writing. "Course Correction" to me really speaks towards a Legends ofTomorrow type situation where everything established in that series is wrong-headed.

There are some serious deep cuts as far as the guest apprarances go: Cameron Chase, Jim Harper. I felt like they somehow managed to indulge their fanboyishness without poking the viewer over and over yelling "Pay attention, he's gonna be the Guardian!!!"

• 1 month later...

Chris and I just watched this week's premiere. I liked it, and I like Hoechlin as Clark/Superman. Mainly for Clark, his Superman needs more weight on him. But his Clark is very very good. He's three dimensional, carries the meekish reporter, the charming farmer, and the investigative reporter who's secretly Superman very well. I can say right away I enjoyed all his scenes. His one hiccup was when he was showing frustration at J'onn in the third act, but that can either straighten out or metastasize. As for the episode itself, the action stuff was fine. I thought the fight between Alex and Corben was very good. The actor looks a lot like the DCAU Metallo, whom I love. The CW shipping relationship was very weird.

the breakup between Jimmy and Kara was unearned, and I hope not permanent. Not so much that I love them together, but it felt like shoehorned drama for the sake of it, and ill justified. Kara has a busy 36 hours and breaks it off with Jimmy? What? Come on now.

It wasn't super awesome but it was enjoyable and this is a solid take on Superman thus far.

In the shift over to The CW, Supergirl is pretty much at the same level as it was on CBS, with a little bit of a boost because of Superman. I was pretty skeptical of Hoechlin at first look because he didn't seem to have the presence of Superman. I think that does hold true; he doesn't come off with the aura of the ultimate inspirational and aspirational figure for the world. But what he does have when shaking hands at the DEO and during conversations with Kara is Superman's good-naturedness, which goes a long way. He also has the lesser seen trait of a sense of humor; his mouthing "sway" and winking at Kara after Cat's uncharacteristically charmed reaction to him made me laugh. It was also a great call to have a bit of the "aw shucks" Clark when talking to Perry, but showing him as a sharp reporter when interviewing Lena Luthor. So while his lack of a certain kind of gravitas moves this Superman closer to "another superhero" than "THE superhero," he comes off as Clark Kent and Superman in other ways that matter. 

The rest of it is pretty typical Supergirl: Calista Flockhart is still the show's second biggest strength, Winn is still a dipshit (who they could've written out but stuck in the DEO for no reason), there's a cheesy speech (this time about change), and the villain and his scheme are on the generic side. The CGI budget has taken a hit, but it's par for the course for the CW superhero shows. The hand to hand action was a step-up; from the bit with the knife, I'm guessing they watched Winter Soldier. I can see Kara's point (aka the mission statement for this season) about how after figuring out Supergirl she needs to figure out Kara, but having her and Jimmy stay friends feels like an abrupt story shift after spending an entire season putting them together. The CW shows do the get together/break up game a lot, and it would be interesting to see one with an actual relationship, especially since they hadn't really had a first date yet. Lena seems destined for a reveal that she's been evil all along, and I'm hoping Katie McGrath has more personality when that happens. I'm sticking to my plan of giving it until mid-season, but so far there's a not enough of a significant difference to change my opinion of the show.