Films you wish you could see again for the first time

Dan

Just like it says. Which movie(s) would you want to be able to experience again for the first time?

For me, it's Pulp Fiction. I don't know if I can come close to explaining what a breath of fresh air it was to sit down in a theater in 1994 and walk out with the realization that a movie could be that exciting and fun. Immediate cultural saturation followed by twenty years of imitation (and of wishing QT would just stop talking) has dulled that feeling quite a lot, but at the time it was a revelation to the average moviegoer who was largely unfamiliar with the movies and culture being sampled.

Pulp Fiction absolutely tops that list for me. When I say I saw it at least 10 times in the theater, I literally mean I saw it at least 10 times in the theater. Everything from the writing to the directing, the narrative structure to the characters opened my mind like no other film before or since.

When I say I saw it at least 10 times in the theater, I literally mean I saw it at least 10 times in the theater.

I only saw Pulp two or three times in the theater, but that same fall I saw Clerks seven times in the theater. That was another one. As disillusioned as I am with Smith and his cult now, at the time the "holy shit, a guy like me made an actual honest to God movie" factor cannot be overstated, and it was our regular Friday night thing for weeks. And when it finally came out on video, back in the day when VHS videos were not priced for consumer purchase but for rent (over $100), I stole my local video store's copy and had viewing parties all the damn time. Mind. Blown.

Oh boy, lessee...

Ong Bak and Chocolate are two films that set a bomb off in my mind when it comes to martial arts movies. If I saw that any earlier than the age I did when they first came out...my imagination just soared on my first viewings.

Maybe Batman Begins. A lot of my favorite movies I had mixed feelings when I first saw them, like the Dark Knight or Ghost in the Shell. Personally I'm very much a "second time's better" type of guy.

Clerks is also totally a movie I adored when I first saw it, and several times later. I still really like it, although I remember it being savaged during the black and white run of Earth-2 the Show.

That's not what I meant. When Star Wars is done right, it can/should appeal to everyone, even if kids are the target.

What I meant was that I don't know if it'd be a good idea to trade a childhood experience of watching Star Wars for an adult one, since the kid experience is almost guaranteed to be better.

There's also the fact that Star Wars has influenced so much other culture that it might be strange to watch everything out of order. I know someone who saw Spaceballs literally dozens of times before she ever saw Star Wars, so when she finally saw SW her experience was a bit "meh."

Don't get me wrong. I love Star Wars and will defend it to the last. I was thinking more that it would be an interesting experiment to see what my reaction to it would be as an adult seeing it for the first time. Would I find things in it that I currently miss because I have seen it so many times? I'm sure I would still love it but the experience would be a very different one.