Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Permission to Die. A 3-part James Bond comic story from Eclipse Comics in 1989 written and illustrated by Mike Grell.

Fun stuff. Grell's artwork can carry a story alone, and it helps that he's clearly a Bond fan. There's enough of a Bond movie vibe while the little details keep it in the novel canon such as Bond's design and the details of MI6. A perfect marriage really. There's more that a little Dalton in how Grell draws Bond, which is no bad thing, but inserts random Moore-esque bad quips as the story goes on to give the fans of the lighter-hearted eras what they want. Rampant sex and violence complete the total package.

Turok, Dinosaur Hunter vol 2: This is fun story-wise, but the art is distracting. This is clearly a more YA version of the character, though no one told Bart Sears that who is drawing the covers like he never stopped drawing them for Valiant. Thinking I won't be getting this in trade anymore.

Clive Barker's Nightbreed vol 1: Review forthcoming

Secret Wars #0: Ugh.

Multiversity #2: What a terrible disappointment this series has been. A complete waste of paper this issue (and most of the issues in the series) was.

Julia: erotic Italian GN. Not bad. It's no Manara.

Planet Hulk #1: If Secret Wars has given us anything, it's barbarian Captain America riding Devil Dinosaur while fighting a nation full of Hulks.

Providence #1: Well, that was awful. It's like "What If Bendis and Claremont co-wrote a story featuring almost solely a conversation between two guys in a room about The King in Yellow?" Like True Detective on fucking dramamine. I'm pretty sure that Alan Moore outwardly tries to write shitty comics at this point.

Ragdoll vol 1: Mike Wolfer's (terrible) saucy supervillainess/monster.

Resident Alien The Sam Hain Mystery #1: From Dark Horse. Feels more like mid 90s Vertigo. Not bad.

Scarlett Couture #2: Once the wonderment over the art fades, the story is pretty boring.

Secret Identities #4: Love this book.

Secret Wars Battleworld #1: One good story, one bad.

Secret Wars 2099 #1: Good in one sense, but plays off Hercules as a rapist. There's even a line where Cap says something along the lines of "What would Zeus think about his son raping a woman?" Um...pretty sure that Zeus is like religion's greatest rapist...next to Josh Duggar.

Secret Wars Journal #1: I don't remember anything that happened in this book.

Sons of the Devil #1: Similar to something I'm working on. Goes in a different direction thankfully.

Spider-Verse #1: Weird. Gwen Stacy is written exactly as a female Spider-Man. So, that sucks. I don't really like Spider-Man so a comic with like six different versions of him together isn't going to get more than one issue from me unless it's stellar. This was very very far from stellar.

Comics: 606

Graphic Novels: 30

Trade Paperbacks: 70

Omnibus: 4

Secret Wars 2099 #1: Good in one sense, but plays off Hercules as a rapist. There's even a line where Cap says something along the lines of "What would Zeus think about his son raping a woman?" Um...pretty sure that Zeus is like religion's greatest rapist...next to Josh Duggar.

Zing! That line deserves more praise....

Suiciders #4: This is turning into something kind of special. It would be a great TV show.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #46: Okay, better than last issue. Stoked for next issue.

Black Hood #4: Hmmm...I'll have to be in a good mood to pick up the next one. Not feeling it.

The Tithe #2: GREAT heist story.

Uber #25: Pacific Theatre gets some love...or some carnage.

Ultimate End #1: I don't really know what happened here.

Where Monsters Dwell #1: Awful. Good lord...

X-Men '92 #1: This looks and feels like it might have back then. The art isn't Image but the characters are basically that 92 team/the cartoon line-up minus Morph. Fun and stupid. I'll give it one more. I didn't know it was a Secret Wars tie-in.

Action Comics #41: JMS once had a powered Superman walk across America. This is an unpowered Superman buying a motorcycle and driving across America and then kicking the shit out of the guys who tried to reclaim their bike. It's kind of fun. It feels like DC doesn't know what to do with Superman though.

Airboy #1: Wow. Seriously fucking great. Best first issue I've read in a long time.

Armor Wars #1: Terrible.

Comics: 617

Major comics dump:

Baltimore The Cult of the Red King #2: loving this best of all the Baltimore I've read thus far.

Bat-Mite #1: Terrible. Beyond terrible. In every way.

Batman Beyond #1: Some interesting stuff going on. I like the art. I like that it's a departure from the show. I'll check out more.

Behemoth #2: step down from last issue.

Bizarro #1: Also terrible.

Broken World #1: Someone decided that this was the year of creator-owned sci fi comics and unfortunately most of them are boring. This is no exception.

Darth Vader #6: fun.

Dead Drop #2: Way better than the first issue. Still not great though.

Gunsuits #1: Famous Monsters magazine presenting this comic. I literally cannot remember it.

Future Imperfect #1: Fun. As. Fuck.

Green Arrow #41: No thanks.

Green Lantern #41: This is the most nineties book I've read in a long time. Not in a good way.

Groot #1: Also terrible. DC doesn't have the whole market on "cute" characters with shit comics.

Heathen #1: Gorgeous. Need more. Now.

Imperium #5: Least liked of all the issues thus far. No idea where this is going and if I want to go there.

Justice League #41: Big fan of Mister Miracle obviously. Not a fan of his redesign. Seriously...the balls to redesign a Kirby character!

Justice Inc. #1: Man, Dynamite's pulp stuff has slid quickly down a steep cliff of quality.

King-The Phantom #3: My least favorite of the three issues. Still better than all the other King stuff.

Masks 2 #3: SNOOZE...

Master of Kung Fu #2: Ok.

Midnighter #1: Kind of fun. I'll stick around for a little more.

Millennium #5: The end. Pretty great.

Nonplayer #1,2: gimmicky. I think I'm out.

Comics: 641

Omega Men #1: Sigh...

Princess Leia #4: Great. Really fun. Sad to see this one end next issue.

Rat God #5: overall a beautiful looking but rather forgettable Lovecraftian series from Corben. I didn't order the HC and I feel okay about it.

Secret Wars Battleworld #2: I should really enjoy Howard the Duck and Blade teaming up to take on Count Duckula but it actually kind of sucks. The back up story (furthering the Captain Ameribarbarian stuff was actually kind of excellent.

Secret Wars #3: So much of this reads like Fan-fiction. Some fanfic is very good and this is on that end. It doesn't feel genuine to me. Looks nice though.

Sensation Comics #36, 37: Fun two-parter with Batgirl and WW and a few other surprises. Second issue felt really rushed. Should have been three parts.

Comics: 648

Action Comics #41: JMS once had a powered Superman walk across America. This is an unpowered Superman buying a motorcycle and driving across America and then kicking the shit out of the guys who tried to reclaim their bike. It's kind of fun. It feels like DC doesn't know what to do with Superman though.

That's glaringly obvious to me.

Sandman vol 9 - The Kindly Ones: Could it have been shorter? Probably. Was it better for it being the length that it was? Definitely. One of the best of the entire run. Marc Hempel(and Kevin Nowlan in the short story) join the list of people who could have drawn the whole series.

Mad Max: Furiosa: Remember how the movie felt no fucking need to linger on the abuse that the Wives dealt with at the hands of Immortan Joe? Well if you needed more of that, go here! Like, 40% of this comic is what I wanted: learning more about the Wives, and Furiosa, and how they interacted, and how the plan came about. That shit is great. And the art is pretty solid. The other 60% is hearing about what Joe does to them, seeing him and Rictus be incredibly creepy towards them. One of the characters talking about how he forces his fist down her throat, punches her, and throws her against the wall is some of the LIGHTER stuff we get from this. Not what I was led to expect from this from previews, and really kind of pissed off that this is what we got.

I want some Essential reccommendations for Marvel from the last 5 years or so.

I've read:

Uncanny X-force by Remender

Fantastic Four by Hickman

Captain Marvel by Kelley Sue

Moon Knight by Ellis

Here's what I have in mind:

Punishermax by Jason Aaron

Wolverine and the X-men by Jason Aaron

Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron

Uncanny Avengers by Remender

Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman

Journey Into Mystery by Gillien

Young Avengers by Gillen

All New X-men/Uncanny X-men by Bendis

Cyclops by Rucka

FF by Fraction

Ms marvel

Anything I'm missing?

I could use opinions on, considering some of the following:

Fearless Defenders

Cable and X-force

X-treme X-men by Pak

X-men by Wood

Uncanny X-force by Humphries

All New X-factor

X-force by Si Spurrier

Amazing X-men

Captain America by Remender

Superior Iron Man by Gillen

Secret Avenger by Spencer

Secret Avengers by Kot

Might Avengers

Avengers World

Superior Spider-man

Deadpool by Duggan

Superior Foes of Spider-man

Guardians

Nova

Magneto Infamous

She Hulk

Loki Agent of Asgard

Silver Surfer

From the ones you're not sure on:

Definites:

-Spurrier's X-Force run (also his Legacy run)

-She Hulk

-Superior Foes of Spider Man

-Kot's Secret Avengers

Maaaybes:

-Agent of Asgard has been getting good in the back half, but it's mostly dominated by tie-ins to whatever major event has been happening at any given time

-Silver Surfer is real pretty but it's mostly a fluff book

Agree with all of what you have under "have in mind".

Enigma: A comic book character from a man's childhood seemingly comes to life, and ordinary people are suddenly coopted into superhero identities, and supernatural events and murders start to happen. This had me up until the last five pages or so of the comic, and then it goes utterly off the rails and fails to address anything that came before. It's a hell of a read, if nothing else? Like, if you found this half off or more, I'd recommend picking this up. Dustin Fegredo does amazing things on the art.

Phonogram: Rue Brittania and the Singles Club: Annual reread/reread in anticipation of the Immaterial Girl. The first time around, I didn't get Rue Brittania so much because I didn't have the Britpop background, but after having read the Singles Club, and doing the occasional Google, I liked it a lot more. But Singles Club continues to be my all time favorite of the two volumes so far, for the intersecting stories and the different looks at how phonomancy works. Emily was always my favorite character between the two volumes, and not gonna lie, I am real excited to see her story come August. (Also, if you have the ability to, while reading the Singles Club, have the corresponding song running for the issue. It's real fun.)

100%: Three couples and their stories intersect and unfold in nearish future NYC. Pope is fucking beautiful in his art, and does some amazing stuff with the prose (see: the sake and red wine panels I posted on Instagram earlier in the week). Definitely find it if you can.

The Beast Trilogy Chapters 1 and 2: Enki Bilal writes and illustartes his own work. Dark, trippy sci-fi, and apparently this is all of it that's been translated (which sucks, as I'd really like to find more of it). Insane like most of Humanoids is, but a nice different taste. We get split between three different characters who all intersect. The art is fucking gorgeous, too.

WicDiv 11: aw;oeifna;owiejoawfiocaewo;fjoFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Gillen continues to be fantastic at driving the knife in where you least expect it, and McKelvie and Wilson do an amazing job on art and colors this issue. I literally have no idea where the fuck this is going anymore, but hell, bring on year 2 boys.

Runaways 1: Noelle Stevenson tackles what is basically Valeria and Doom running the equivalent of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters and also Murder with Pixie and Jubilee in a girl gang, Amadeus Cho and Delphyne, Skaar, a random Molly Hayes, and Cloak and Dagger. I am so. Fucking. Here. For this. I'd love for this to spin into an ongoing? They did it with A Force, they can do it here. Cmon guys. Cmon.

Black Canary 1: Annie Wu and Brenden Fletcher doing the Black Canary does punk shows and also fights a crime ongoing I never knew I wanted. Wu does amazing on the art, and the story is a bit eh for a first issue, but I will give this more money if it means more Annie Wu.

Archie v Predator 3: I fucking love this series so much. Between the one page crossovers in the back (Jughead and Mind Mgmt this time), the ridiculously genre savvy/metaness of the series, and seeing Betty and Veronica take the lead, I would love for this to go on forever. Unfortunately, we only have one issue left. WAUGH.

The Life of Captain Marvel - I knew very little about Mar-Vell. Gave this a chance and I liked it. It took a while to get into the older style of writing (and constant recaps). Given that this is a collection of reprints (with a random Two-in-One thrown in) it kinda ends in an odd place. The main story is, I think, the first Thanos appearances. That entire story kinda ends abruptly and the collection ends on the issue following. I get that it was a rather important issue, but doesn't fit the collection.

Marvel Graphic Novel #1 - The Death of Captain Marvel - I knew the story ever since I read about it in an issue of Wizard many years ago. But actually reading it? Wow. This was amazing. A total gut punch. I don't know that I have ever had a reaction to a book like this. I don't know if having a little background first helped or what, but man. I don't know if there was some forshadowing between where I left off (I think issue 35ish) and the next thirty issues. But damn, this hit me hard.

Comics: 197
Digital First Comics: 59
Graphic Novels: 17

Trades: 88 (468)(4)(144)

Curb Stomp 1 and 2: Roller derby girl gang tries to protect their shitty little boardwalk against a corrupt mayoral candidate and against other gangs. Pure 70s goodness, and I love it. Probably gonna get a trade if they do it.

Bucky Barnes the Winter Soldier 8: Daisy and a psychic pteranadon fly around in a scene that's clearly meant to invoke Moebius. Future Bucky and present Bucky get high off of space drugs and have psychic sex with the psychic queen of Mer-Z-Bow. Also Loki. man, when Kot isn't a pretentious dick, he writes a great drug trip. And Marco Rudy is amazing, full stop.

1602: Witch Hunter Angela: Gillen and Bennett apply puns liberally, make Wolverine King James, have Bucky Barnes and a medieval Modok show up, and also the Elizabethan playwrights feature. It's pretty fantastic. Sauvage and Hans do great things with their bits of the art.

Marvel Zombies 1: Spurrier gets to do Elsa Bloodstone fighting the zombies on the Shield. A zombie Dock Ock shows up. We get more of Elsa's backstory. It's pretty lovely. Like, you can tell that people are getting to do the thing they always fucking wanted to do if given full and complete control, so it's pretty great to watch play out like this.

Ghost Racers 1: Ghost Riders meet Death Race 2000. I fucking love it.

Gotham Academy 7: Damian Wayne shows up and teams up with Maps for an issue. It's pretty fantastic. I'm picking up the trade soon, it's a good fun all ages book.

SpiderGwen 5: Rodriguez does amazing work on this issue. And Latour does fun stuff with the view askew AU, we get Felicia Hardy and more of Murdock this issue. I hope both get to come back post Secret Wars.

Secret Avengers 15: Wrap up, the real climax of the series happened last issue. I like seeing where the wacky ass little team leaves off, the larger politcal commentary, and the art as always is adorable. Bonus for the Borges cameo.

This is very much a sequel / finale to Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX series. So if you're interested in this, read that first.

Young Avengers by Gillen

So much fun. Read it slow, though, because there's a lot to absorb.

Superior Spider-man

What little I've read was fun.

Superior Foes of Spider-man

Yes! Yes! A million times yes!

Magneto Infamous

Silver Surfer

Also, yes!

This is very much a sequel / finale to Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX series. So if you're interested in this, read that first.
How much knowledge of the previous series is needed? I've read bits and pieces but it's been ages and I ever finished the run. I think I finished the slavers arc and maybe one more before I quit. Does the Aaron run stqnd alone at all. I really loved the Rucka run and thought this might be up my alley.

Thanos Quest 1, 2: These are two graphic novels telling the story of how Thanos swindled the Infinity Gems from the Elders of the Universe. Jim Starlin and Ron Lim. There are very few teams in comics you could convince me are better together.

The Infinity Gauntlet: So incredible. Perez art on the first three issues is great, but Lim picks up the last half and elevates it to comics legend. THIS is how events are supposed to be done. Truly amazing. This story spawned a billion stories in my mind as a kid, but the absolute greatest moment has to be this.

6-part-1.jpg

3867268-2007771991-10148.jpg

Seriously guys. The last three panels on that first page is Cap walking past the smoldering remains of spacemen, androids and gods...all of them his friends, solely to take a last stand he knows he can't possibly win. Fucking chills and if you don't like it fuck off.

Star Wars #5,6: Pretty good.

Tales from the Creep #1: a fun horror anthology. A story from Brian Keene too.

TMNT Mutanimals #4: Great series, not the greatest ending. Loved it though.

Charlton Arrow #1: anthology series from old guys and guys from fandom writing Golden Age style tales. Not very good.

The Covenant #1: Holy shit...Rob Liefeld writes bible tales....but, you know, EXTREME Bible Tales. This was fucking awful. The art made me wish Liefeld was actually drawing it too. Yikes.

Maxx Maxximized #19,20: Pretty good.

UFOlogy #2: Interesting. I'll probably grab the next one.

X-Tinction Agenda #1: The one I was most excited for. It's alright.

Years of Future Past #1: Better than the above. But not by much.

Comics: 659

Graphic Novels: 32

Trade Paperbacks: 71

Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1-6: As a sequel to Infinity Gauntlet, it is pretty bad. As a cosmic comic it's pretty good. I remember there being more of the Watch in these early issues than just Warlock. Angel Medina's art is awful, but for the two issues in the middle drawn by Rick Leonardi, all is right with the world. Or universe as the case may be.

Sunstone vol 2: I'm not into BDSM or sllice of life comics but I'll be damned if this isn't fucking amazing.

Comics: 665

Graphic Novels: 33

Trade Paperbacks: 71