Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

The Comet #1-10: this is a far more refreshing superhero than the Shield. Think early Spider-Man versus Captain America. Tom Lyle's art is so great it reminds you of why Mark Bagley bit his style. I love the idea of giving these titles to artists for storytelling and one central writer to dialogue them. It gives the line a freedom the Big 2 don't offer. Onto The Fly next.

Comics: 1180
Graphic Novels: 50
Trade Paperbacks: 100
Omnibus: 12

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom Lyle's art is so great it reminds you of why Mark Bagley bit his style

I'm having a hard time finding anything similar between those two artists, aside from the decade they were prolific in.

Tom Lyle on The Comet is pure Bagley. Hard to find a decent image online, but here's a Punisher page where you can really see it.

2196272-scan0129.jpg

The Fly #1-9: Spider-Man meets Captain Marvel. Art is consistent with most other Impact stuff, but slightly more cartoony. This is the light and fun series, but it's still full of action. A blast to read. Shocking how well these hold up.

The Web #1-9: What if SHIELD agents wore superpowered suits of armor. Pretty solid. Still a few clunkers. The art is closer to Rick Leonardi or Tom Raney which is good because the huge cast needs a focus on differing facial characteristics.

Comics: 1198

The Jaguar #1-14: I was interested to read this as it is the only single female character in this universe with her own title. The character is basically Pantha without the sleaze, so that kind of sucks. The art is inconsistent. At its best, it's a bit of a mix between Adam Hughes and Kevin Maguire (which is perfect) but it's very uneven and ugly for the most part. Disappointment.

Comics: 1212

Cable and Deadpool Ultimate Collection Volume 1 - Fun, if somewhat decompressed. Deadpool's well written, good balance of humor and seriousness. Cable is a void of personality, to me. Artwork is fantastic. Mark Brooks did a good job in the first two issues but Patrick Zircher did amazing work. His Deadpool became iconic, and rightly so.

Howard the Duck (1976) #1-28: This is insane. Seriously fucking off the wall nuts. Steve Gerber, who has always brought a love of skewering any subject that happened to cross his path, took a funny animal, plopped him into the Marvel Universe, and proceeded to spend the next three years telling one of the smartest, funniest, sharpest, angriest stories in the history of comics. The bulk of the run is drawn by Gene Colan, and it's some of the best work he ever did; he takes this Disneyfied, ridiculous animal and surrounds him with the dark, grimy, sleazy New York of the late 1970s, and it works brilliantly. Howard floats from indignity to indignity, coming across occasional supervillains like Dr. Bong (it's 'cause there's a bell, kids) and the Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime, while also doing battle with crazy homeless ladies on the bus, Canadians in bionic beaver armor, Frankenstein gingerbread men, and Sudd, the Scrubbing Bubble That Walks Like a Man. That's when he's not running for president. Along the way, Gerber satirizes pop culture, advertising, politics, religion, cults, the comics industry, and himself, and skirting the Comics Code as closely as he possibly can, as he makes it clear without saying out loud that Beverly is totally having sex with a duck. And I am not describing the insanity nearly closely enough.

Howard the Duck (1976) #1-28: This is insane. Seriously fucking off the wall nuts. Steve Gerber, who has always brought a love of skewering any subject that happened to cross his path, took a funny animal, plopped him into the Marvel Universe, and proceeded to spend the next three years telling one of the smartest, funniest, sharpest, angriest stories in the history of comics. The bulk of the run is drawn by Gene Colan, and it's some of the best work he ever did; he takes this Disneyfied, ridiculous animal and surrounds him with the dark, grimy, sleazy New York of the late 1970s, and it works brilliantly. Howard floats from indignity to indignity, coming across occasional supervillains like Dr. Bong (it's 'cause there's a bell, kids) and the Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime, while also doing battle with crazy homeless ladies on the bus, Canadians in bionic beaver armor, Frankenstein gingerbread men, and Sudd, the Scrubbing Bubble That Walks Like a Man. That's when he's not running for president. Along the way, Gerber satirizes pop culture, advertising, politics, religion, cults, the comics industry, and himself, and skirting the Comics Code as closely as he possibly can, as he makes it clear without saying out loud that Beverly is totally having sex with a duck. And I am not describing the insanity nearly closely enough.

:yes:

Slim pickings on the weekly front this week.

Inferno 5: Crazy, off the wall, solid enough conclusion. Like, when this inevitably gets collected in a massive Secret Wars anthology, pick it up. 

E for Extinction 4: Fun, insane wrap up, real pretty, one of the better X-Men tie ins that came out of this. 

Ghost Racers 4: See the previous two for thoughts.

Captain America White 2: Loeb does a passable enough job writing.  The Sale art manages to distinguish itself beyond off brand Darwyn Cooke, so that's nice.

Zodiac Starforce 2: Love letter to the magical girl genre, in modern trappings. Real pretty, too. It'll be fun to follow this one.

From Under Mountains 1: Churchland and Gibson on story, and Sloane Leong on art. Real pretty, neat fantasy setup, it'll be neat to see where this goes.

-

Umbrella Academy: The Apocalypse Suite and Omnibus: Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba do dysfunctional as shit superheroes, time travel, drugged up mascot serial killers, monuments coming to life and killing people, and just general insanity. Way doesn't always stick the landing, but he's got some real neat ideas, I'd like to see what else he's written. Ba does amazing as always on the art. 

Hardware: The Man in the Machine: McDuffie has some things to say about Cyborg. Lots of venom directed indirectly at the industry, and some amazing 90s insanity and metanarrative. Fun read. Cowan does great on art.

Icon: A Hero's Welcome and The Mothership Connection: What if Superman were black? What if his sidekick got knocked up? Hell of a read, and again, some real digs at the industry in general in an incredibly smart, biting way (see: Buck Wild Mercenary Man's funeral).  Art kind of varies wildly throughout, but is pretty damn good.

Justice League International vol 1: You can see the blocks of the run being set up here: Guy Gardner and Batman butting heads, Beetle taking his place on the team, and Booster Gold getting introduced towards the end of the trade. Not quite the hilarious run, but it's getting there (one punch! is included here), and Maxwell Lord is set up to be vaguely menacing straight off the bat. 

Damage Control 1: Read this because my boyfriend had this lying around, and with the news that this is going to pilot, I'm interested.  It's a cute enough first issue, solid enough premise (Damage Control might be creating the situations it has to clean up from! super hero movies are a thing! the hulk watching baseball!), I'm interested to see how it'll translate. 

1872 #3: Pretty solid. Not sure how they're going to end this, but I understand Red Wolf will be in the regular Marvel U when all of this is said and done. Weird.

Alice matheson Day Z #1: euro comic. Zombies. Half-interesting.

Archie #3: This is one fo the best comics of the year. Waid and Staples can do no wrong so far.

Book of Death #3: Best issue of the main book so far. Darque is way more intimidating here than he was in Shadowman.

Book of Death Fall of Harbinger #1: Okay. Not great.

Book of Death Legends of the Geomancer #1,2: these were great. The first one especially that follows who we can only assume are the parents of the Anni-Padda boys.

Butterfly-Preulde to Deep Penitentiary 6: not necessarily something I'll be following up with a second issue. It feels very self-aware.

Crossed Badlands #86: this was a soid ending to a less-than-solid arc for this series. It ended well, but I'm not sure the journey was worth it. Looking forward to a different creative team to start up.

Fight Club 2 #5: Still pretty great. Stewart's doing the work of his career.

From Under Mountains #1: If you put a gun to my head and told me to synopsize this, I'd say "Kill me."

GI Joe ARAH #218: alright.

Godzilla In Hell #3: It took 2 guys to write this? Crazy. The first issue of this was amazing, but neither of the follow-ups have been worth reading.

Hail Hydra #3: one of the better SW tie-ins continues to be good.

Comics: 1238

Godzilla in Hell #3 - Still wish that Stokoe got to do the rest of this series, but this was pretty good. It's always awesome to see SpaceGodzilla, and the Mothra angels were an interesting idea. Art was very inconsistent though.

Eleventh Doctor #15 - Good finale to the first volume. The art was better than I've come to expect.

Godzilla in Hell #3 - Still wish that Stokoe got to do the rest of this series, but this was pretty good. It's always awesome to see SpaceGodzilla, and the Mothra angels were an interesting idea. Art was very inconsistent though.

Yeah, nothing has, or probably will live up to that first issue. I can't believe there were two writers on that book.

Batman and Robin Eternal #1

This book was on sight the minute they announced the reintroduction of Cassandra Cain, and luckily I enjoyed it overall. Tony Daniel's art is solid. I like that Dick starts the series off as the general antagonist. I wasn't crazy about how they introduced Jason and Tim as basically being unlikable caricatures of themselves, but that's consistent for the new 52. Cass herself was cool and I'm liking where they're going by hinting that she's been working with Bruce for a while unbeknownst to everyone else. The idea of a "Robin War" is fucking ridiculous to me, but I'm down for the comic nonetheless.

Speaking of Robins...

We Are Robin #4

I've not been following this book regularly, but issue #4 was excellent. Loved the artwork and storytelling, loved the writing. They make terrific use of Batgirl. Just a great read all around.

Legend of the Shield #11-16: Wow...they really lost steam near the end there. Yikes. 

The Comet #11-18: Solid end. Weird trip it took but it worked.

Justice League #44: Liking this series a lot. Batman as Metron is very cool. Would never have thought that before. Art is gorgeous.

Negative Space #2: This book is insane. Not as good as the first issue, but pretty crazy nonetheless.

Power Cubed #1: Goofy. A passion project. Not my bag.

Rasputin #9: Cool. Good stuff.

Shrinking Man #3: Quietly the best book on the market right now. Powerful, sad and very cool.

Sons of the Devil #5: Wow...didn't really pay off.

TMNT Casey and April #4: Interesting. It's basically a ploy that will tie-in to the regular book later on.

The Tithe #5: Very cool. Interesting shift of focus for this series.

War of the Nine Gods #1: Whut?

Weirdworld #4: Eh...alright. Looks amazing. Makes no sense. Not sure if that bothers me or not.

Wolf #3: Easily the most forgettable for the series. This book should not only be right up my alley, but it's the kind of stuff I write. I think I'm out now. 

Years of Future Past #5: Yawn.

Comics: 1264

Penthouse Mens Adventure Comix #1-7: This was a weird experience. This was not a follow-up series as I always thought it was. It was merely a companion book as the regular Penthouse Comix series. But...it has mostly the same talent with the same story worlds and characters as the regular book (for the most part). Very strange. Good. But, yeah...cocaine?

The Fly #10-17: One of the best teenage superhero books made in my lifetime. It does not deteriorate at all throughout the run. Very impressiver.

The Web #10-14: Kind of the opposite. One of the weakest Impact books from the jump, and it gets worse.

Batman Eternal vol 2: So fucking good. This is the best Batman story that's been told in...I don't know, 15 years? Hard to say, but it's great.

New Crusaders-Dark Tomorrow Special: This is the recent Archie comics series and it's ok.

Comics: 1285
Omnibus: 13

Justice League Gods and Monsters #1-9: not as good as the prequel series or the movie that it led up to. Still alright.

The Auteur #1-5: Holy fuck. This is insane and hilarious and gory. I need to catch up on the sequel.

Comics: 1299

Wire Hangers: Been meaning to reread this for a while. It's off kilter and would definitely make a better movie, but it's supergrim and distinct.

Wonder Woman-Hiketeia: Not as good as I remember it, but JG Jones' art is so gorgeous, you barely catch how hollow the story is.

The Fade Out vol 1: Read the first issue a while back and was nonplused. Basically the same here. It gets better, but I doubt I'll read a second volume.

Armor Hunters #1-4, Armor Hunters Bloodshot #1-3, Armor Hunters Harbinger #1-3, Armor Hunters Aftermath #1: Not the best Valiant crossover. Probably the worst. Still, it's pretty good.

Comics: 1310
Graphic Novels: 51
Trade Paperbacks: 102

Ms. Marvel #19.

The last issue before the end of Secret War, they really go for the teen drama book feel for this one and I wasn't in the mood for it...until the ending when it had me going "AWWW!" I'm gonna really miss Adrian Alphona on art, I wish he was staying on.

S.H.I.E.L.D. (2014) #1-8: Mark Waid's recent run, marrying the ABC series to the Marvel Universe proper. It's incredibly lightweight, but fairly fun for what it is. Almost every issue is a done-in-one, teaming Coulson and assorted characters from the TV show with that month's guest star, and the highlights there include Ms. Marvel, the Invisible Woman, and Spider-Man, all three of whom I will ALWAYS have time to read when Waid is writing them. Waid's characterization is erratic, in that every time Coulson opens his mouth I hear Clark Gregg without fail, but most everyone else feels off, especially Fitz, who's a little too sarcastic and confident. Every issue has its own artist including Humberto Ramos, Alan Davis, and Chris Sprouse; by and large, it's pretty good across the board. A very quick read, rather enjoyable, and quickly forgotten when it's done.

Wait wait wait. So we have Mark Waid and Alan Davis doing an issue with Spider-Man?

Well, looks like I'm reading SHIELD then.

Sensation Comics #15 - The Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez(praise be his name) story was gorgeous, and fairly interesting for having her in a legal situation. The second story with the lion was alright.

Superman #44 - Close to getting dropped. Probably will at #45.

Sons of the Devil #5 - Didn't do enough to justify the 6 month hiatus.

ASM #1 - Good collection of stories. The main story by Slott and Camuncoli was a decent set-up to the current status quo and had a fun chase.

Spider-Island #5 - Pacing was a bit off, as the final battle ended way too soon. Still, the art was great and it's wonderful seeing Agent Venom again. I still don't know why Marvel took him in the direction that they have.

Star Wars #10 - Still fun, more stuff from later on keeps happening but I've gotten used to it at this point. I say it every issue, but hot damn Stuart Immonen.

All-New, All-Different Point One #1: Don't get me started on the title for this shit-show. It's a ridiculous throwaway issue highlighting upcoming stuff that tells me definitively that I don't need to be too interested in upcoming Marvel titles.

Avengers #0: Interest in future Avengers titles bordering on nill.

Axscend #1: I think I nailed why I like Shane Davis so much. He's raw Jim Lee. Like, Uncanny X-Men era Jim Lee. But, the difference is, Lee and Liefeld and Silvestri knew that they weren't writers. They were smart enough businessmen to hire people to script for them. Shane Davis should have done that. If I ever see another "video game becomes reality comic" it will be far too fucking soon.

Batman & Robin Eternal #1: So far better than the robot Batman bullshit.

Bloodshot Reborn #7: shit. Dis gooooood.

Book of Death Legends of the Geomancer #3: kind of a great origin story when it goes back to the first people that walked upright. I hope the next issue cover isn't a tease and we'll see Gilad, Armstrong and Ivar as children, because that seems insanely fun.

Contest of Champions #1: Maestro dies in the Secret Wars tie-in. Sorry for a spoiler on a series you probably will never read. So why is he here? I don't fucking know, or care really. Marvel's done this plot a million times as well. I'm out.

Doctor Strange #1: oof. I don't know who this is, but it isn't Stephen Strange. I'm out.

Imperium #9: Holy fuck. There's a lot here in a pitch for a Black Panther fan-fic series I wrote a couple years ago. It's kind of amazing because it's something so bold and cool that the Big Two can't do it.

Invincible Iron man #1: I have to admit, I was blindsided with this one. It's written by Bendis. It features modern marvel Iron man. And I kind of liked it. I'll give it another issue.

Comics: 1320
Graphic Novels: 51
Trade Paperbacks: 102

Sons of the Devil #5 - Didn't do enough to justify the 6 month hiatus.

Weird, right? Would have been an okay end for the slow arcing out into a wider story, not if they're taking half a year off from the series. You gotta kick me in the balls for that to be worth it.

Lost at Sea - I'm still of the age where I can enjoy stories like this (like I heartily recommended Heart in a Box, which has a pretty similar plot) and be endeared at the pretentiousness. Bit annoyed by it sure, but I was, and still kinda am, that sort of person. But yeah, this was Bryan Lee O'Malley's first published comic, and he still hadn't developed his art style quite yet. Some of the storytelling didn't feel as effective as it probably was intended to be. But on the whole, I enjoyed this. I can't believe it took me this long to read an O'Malley book, I would've been all over this in high school.

(Doing a bit of catchup from the last few weeks, sorry!)

Survivors Club 1: Beukes and Kelly do the survivors of 80s horror tropes trying to unravel the common threads between all of them. This is gonna be FUN. Added to my pull list. 

Paper Girls 1: BKV and Cliff Chiang. Centers around a bunch of paper girls that seem to have stumbled into a massive sci-fi thing in the 90s. At least mildly intrigued by what's going on, art's pretty, we'll see what's going on. 

Baboushka: The Conclave of Death 1: Basically a Russian female Bond, not quite sure where it's going just yet, but it's pretty at least, and fun. Doesn't seem to know what it is just yet. 

1602: Witch Hunter Angela 4: Perfect fucking finale. Absolutely beautiful artwork by Stephanie Hans, and I love how the story comes together kind of the way you were expecting it to, but still manages to utterly gut you. One of the better Secret Wars minis. 

Siege 4: At least half of this is weighed down by editorial mandate to make what happens in Secret Wars 6 happen, but the moments when you get double page spreads by say, Bill fuckin Sienkiewicz, it makes some of the bullshit that has to happen in the rest of the series worht it. Not the most coherent thing Gillen's ever put out, but you can tell he had fun doing it when he's working around the editorial mandate. 

Secret Wars 6: Yeah, fuck if I know what's going on anymore, but I can see why they needed the extra month. Esad's still managing to put out good art, though, so go him. Got the Babs Tarr Starlord pinup cover, which was nice. 

Dr. Strange 1: Bachalo on Strange was always gonna be good, art wise. Haven't read that much of Strange prior to this, but what we've got here is at least mildly intriguing on Aaron's part. It's not gonna go on the monthly pickups, but I'll at least secondhand follow it, see where it goes. 

Avengers 0: Okay, fuck if I know what's going on with most of this, but Ultimates has my attention the most out of all of these (America Chavez forever, and will be fun to see how she plays with everyone else). A Force will be a fun read. New Avengers will certainly be a thing, gonna read the #1 later and see how it goes. Uncanny, Avengers, Squadron? *shrug*

Jughead 1: Zdarsky and Henderson do Jughead, it's fun, good art, again, not anything I'm picking up on a regular basis, but should be neat. 

Twilight Children 1: Cooke + Hernandez do an eerie supernatural story in a small town in Mexico. Getting to see Cooke on more adult things is always fun. The new Vertigo stuff is two for two on interest so far, so that's encouraging. 

A Force 5: Finally feels like the story telling approaches came together. Lots of fun fanservice bits, especially in the art and cameos, and it's just real fucking fun. Plus the last page is kind of a perfect note for the series so far. Looking forward to seeing how this actually plays out in whatever the status quo is going to be post Secret Wars. 

I Hate Fairyland 1: Skottie Young wrote/drew Wizard of Oz for about a decade. This is him getting it out of his system. It's fucking hysterical, and just a great read. Getting added to the pull list.

Radioactive Spider Gwen 1: As far as I can tell this is just picking up where the team left off and just carrying the existing threads further? Rodriguez continues to be great on art, we appear to have run into a female black Cap in this world, and story wise, man, we'll see where this goes. 

This Damned Band 3: Ehhhh. Losing steam, I'm probably just gonna let my boyfriend pick it up and read his. 

Ms. Marvel 19: Perfect cap to the series so far. Looking forward to seeing what comes with the new status quo.

Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl 3: Continues to get weirder and weirder, but in the best kind of way. McKelvie and Wilson are clearly having the time of their lives on the art. And I kind of love the B-Side in back (My. Chemical. Romance). 

Wicked and the Divine 15: Stephanie Hans does fucking beautiful art, the end. Minerva is so dead. But whatever comes next with Morrigan next issue, well, this is gonna be interesting to see how it all goes down. The stuff between Emi and Cass is super uncomfortable, but it's meant to be. 

Mercy: Ray Fawkes mini. Real fucking pretty gothic comic, and goes somewhere you're not expecting it to. If he's at a con you're at, it's like $5, pick it up. 

Grindhouse: Slay Ride 1-2, Nebulina 1-2: Between these two, Slay Ride is the one I like the most. Great little story about a family in the cold north taking on their demons over the course of Christmas Eve. Nebulina is a fun little fap comic that turns out to be a backhand at Bitch Planet. Sad to see this series ending, but oh well.  

-

The Death Defying Dr. Mirage vol 1: Have heard the buzz around it, only just now read it. It's real fucking gorgeous, neat romp of a story, gonna be picking up the sequel that's coming out. 

Mind MGMT vols 4 and 5: Just go fucking pick up this series already. Seriously. One of the best crafted stories, down to the little footnotes and artistic choices, I've seen, like ever. How the shit has this not been nominated for an Eisner already. For an example? Take a look at this page. Just take a hard look at it.

CRfOhA_UEAATvtw.jpg

Jim's and mine readthrough of this last night just devolved into us screaming fuck you at the book every five minutes or so and just straight up throwing the book at a wall at one point. 

Revolver: Matt Kindt's mini from Vertigo. Again, does some real neat stuff with the page numbering footnotes, especially as it switches between worlds. Doesn't feel like it fully finds its footing, but still a neat read.

Frankenstein and the Agents of SHADE 1-16, Flashpoint 1-3: Just a fun fucking read, not something I'd normally go for, but something fun to read on a Saturday morning while Jim watches Starcraft. Artist doesn't always do the greatest, but the crossover with Animal Man is pretty neat. 

Edited by Venneh