Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Superman/Madman: Hullabaloo: Allred does a three issue crossover between Madman (his creator owned property) and Superman. Just a fun fucking read. Allred nails Supermans kindness and compassion and general awesome, and you can't go wrong with body switching and mr myzpiztik and a twister game of doom. If you can find it, read it.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Undertaker v1: a Euro western noir comic. The story's not great, but the art is incredible. A real Moebius Blueberry vibe going on here.

Usagi Yojimbo-Yokai: the rabbit versus Japanese monsters. The story is boring as hell, but the painted artwork is gorgeous.

Comics: 1358
Graphic Novels: 56
Trade Paperbacks: 113
Omnibus: 14

Bombshells 14: Ivy and Harley inglorious basterding it up across Europe? Hell yes.

Adventures of Superman 613-622: Superman from around 03. Fun, mostly one off stories, with a superman with kindness, compassion, and does what needs to be done, all while having a good marriage with Lois. I miss this superman.

Mephisto and the Empty Box: Kindt mini surrounding a magician, a box, and a disappearing woman. Great stuff.

Victorian Romance Emma omnibus v 1 and 2: Mori's first work, and while you can tell she's finding her feet as an artist, fuck if this isn't gorgeous. She's great at the slow burn, and at throwing enough obstacles in the couples way without being overwrought. Leaves off in a great place, for both volumes.

What Did You Eat Yesterday v9: lots of personal and family developments in this volume, and great food. Adorable, and makes me want to cook more Japanese.

Virgil: A gay Jamaican cop gets outed, his friends murdered, beaten, and left for dead. He wakes up and his lover's been kidnapped. Queersploitation, and a roaring rampage of revenge. Great fucking read.

Fresh Romance 6: Wraps up Leth's fun high school magic tale, the 18th century arranged marriage of awkward continues, and Marguerite Bennet and Trungles (I only know her twitter handle derp) start a great fairy tale framed romance. Should be picking this up more regularly than I am.

Plutona 2: The story's slowly unfolding, and leaves off on a real creepy note. We'll see how it turns. Lennox does a great job with the kids. 

Marvel Zombies 4: Fuck you Si Spurrier for giving me feels about Elsa Bloodstone. Neat wrapping to the story, takes care of teh zombies in a fun way, and leaves it in a neat place.

New Avengers 1: Ultimates Reed as our big bad? Some of my favorite characters from recent titles? Yeah, alright. Don't know if I'll be buying this, but I'll at least be following it. Suffers from a lack of context this was likely supposed to have with Secret Wars supposed to have been wrapped up by now, but it can work without it for now. 

Power Up 3: Things get crazier. *shrugs* Not my favorite thing of Leth's, but it's cute.

Black Canary 5: Pia on art again, and again, I will repeat what I've said for other Brenden Fletcher stuff: I read this for the art more than I do an actual, coherent story. 

Clean Room 1: ....yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of this. I'll follow it passingly, but it's just not my thing. Too much exposition dumping, everyone looks too stiff, and gratuitous shot of a chick in her panties commiting suicide? Really trying to earn that M, Gail. 

Karnak 1: ....Warren clearly had the good drugs while writing this. No idea what the shit is gonna happen here, but hell, let's see what happens. Again, suffers from a lack of context the end of Secret Wars is probably going to be imparting. 

The Beauty 3: More exposition dump, random two page spread of peoples' hashtagged selfies to promote the book, yeah, this just isn't doing it for me.  Might glance through the trade when it finishes just to see how it turned out.

Tokyo Ghost 2: Japan fetishism combined with Luddite preaching? I'm out. Art's pretty as fuck though. 

Wolf 4: Kot's been whining about how the industry doesn't get him because Material bombed on the monthly front and is moving to a yearly graphic novel format. Here's a hint, kid, especially after reading this issue: maybe you aren't as good as you think you are. Like seriously, just get a goddamn editor, and there's the bones of a real interesting thing here, especially at the end here. But now you're switching artists (through no fault of the artist) and doing a five year time jump. 

Edited by Venneh

Plastic Man (2004) #1-6: The first arc of the Kyle Baker run. Baker's work with Warner Brothers Animation really shows here, as this is a frenetic, crazed take on a character perfect for his sensibility. The story goes over Plas' origin as he reconciles his criminal past with his desire to reform, even as he's framed for murder. If that sounds too straightforward, picture it through a lens of John Kricfalusi, who is a definite influence here. There are a lot of legitimately hilarious moments, the layouts are clever, and as garish and even ugly as the art can be, it tells the story well and has a ton of character. Well worth it.

Batgirl #45: Back on track and much better than last issue. A soap opera story from beginning to end, it's yet another in a finite yet perennial tradition of Dick and Babs shipping issues, although this is the first one in a while that has Babs justifiably mad at Dick as opposed to just cuz. Tarr kills it on art, and I got a Tuxedo Mask/Sailor Moon vibe out of a few scenes.

Edited by Donomark
typo

Island 4: The return of Multiple Warheads (and the Multiple Warheads drinking game, aka see how many puns you can spot on each page and drink to forget them), a neat continuation of a previous project by Farel Darymple (that you can still catch onto even if you haven't read the rest), and a neat wordless comic by Gael Bertrand. Love seeing what we get each month out of this.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 1: Some nods to the new status quo, otherwise, it's pretty much the same fun romp that it is every month. 

From Under Mountains 2: And now we're starting to get to the plot, art continues to be beautiful, don't know if I'll regularly pick it up, but shit, it's pretty neat to read.

New Avengers 2: Ewing does a good opening arc, thing are nicely in place for whatever comes next, again, probably not going to follow this on the regular, but will throw it my money every once in a while. Ewing's got his team down, allows each time to shine, shows great teamwork, and fuck if Ultimate Reed isn't creepy as fuck.

Art Ops 1: Mike Allred does great work as always. The story... it's gonna need a lot of help to get off the ground.  I really don't care about this shallow shithead of a kid and how all the women in his life die/disappear for him to have motivation

Batgirl 45: What's this? A mature and reasonable response to Dick popping in the fuck out of nowhere at Barbara's bff's wedding? An adorable trans wedding? Just a nice breather issue before the next arc, and Babs is back on point with the art. 

Angela: Queen of Hel 1: God fucking bless, Bennett. Little iffy on Jacinto on art, but as always, Hans blows it out of the water. And Sera is kind of our perfect narrator. I like her. Goes to a place I was expecting for their reunion, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds throughout the series. (All hail the immortal queen Beyonce.)

The Spire 4: And again, the plot continues to barrel along and unfold, with these perfect little details on the art. One of the best minis out there right now. 

Black Magick 1: Rucka, sweetheart. I get that you've found your formula. But this was basically the first issue of Lazarus, with added magic and semi nudity, and a lot less ass kicking. What's that? You're part of an ancient line of witches and someone's trying to hunt you down again? And also you're a detective and balancing that and your magical life? Goddamnit you can do better than this. Nicola is great on the black and white, and the brief use of color is well done. Will probably not be following this. 

Edited by Venneh

1872 #4: Pretty much ended with a whimper. I would prefer the regular 616 Red Wolf to be a focus in the new Marvel U instead of the Western one. Oh well.

Abaddon: Horror western graphic novel. It's ok.

After the Night: A euro western GN, fantastic.

Batman Eternal vol 3: Holy shit. What an ending. BE might be DC's best ever weekly series. Might be better than 52. Excellent. Exciting. The most interested I've been in New 52 Batman ever.

Batmand and Robin Eternal #2,3:After reading the final volume, the first issue here makes more sense and these two are pretty great. Dick, Tim, Jason, Spoiler, Harper and Cassandra dealing with the fallout of no more Batman.

Book of Death-Fall of X-O Manowar #1: Not the worst of the tie-ins, but not the best.

Comics: 1362
Graphic Novels: 58
Omnibus: 15

Adventure Comics vol. 1 #432-437: The first six issues of the Michael Fleisher/Jim Aparo run of The Spectre. Just sheer, unadulterated fucked-up brilliance. Its never a question of "Will the Spectre win?" because he's literally omnipotent; it's a question of "How gruesome and terrible will his manner of killing everything in front of him be?" (Spoiler: very.)

Captain America-Sam Wilson #1: This is fucking great. I'm in. Spencer can write EVERY Marvel book as far as I'm concerned.

Civil War #5: Not very good. Even the good SW tie-ins are ending with a terrible whimper.

Clean Room #1: Wow...this is the only thing I've liked from Gail Simone since before Infinite Crisis. In fact, the only thing I've really liked of her's was the Secret Six miniseries and the Secret Society mini it came from. That and a little bit of her Red Sonja run. This is a solid fucking horror comic, and I never thought she had it in her.

Codename Baboushka-Conclave of Death #1: fucking terrible.

Cognetic #1: a little too high concept for me, but I might check out another issue.

Crossed Badlands #87: whoa. Wolfer's run is finally done and now there's this incredible story beginning about a psychiatrist trying to figure out his brother's infection. I'm very intrigued.

Death Head #4: pretty ghastly.

Fistful of Blood #1: I can't remember the last time I looked at some Bisley art. It's pretty.

GI Joe Cobra World Order Prelude #1: a clever little refreshed on the entire GI Joe universe. Well done.

God is Dead #43: fucking hell, this book is great.

Godzilla in Hell #4: the best issue since #1. Not saying much though.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1: pretty terrible.

Comics: 1374
Graphic Novels: 58

Harrow County #6: pretty solid.

Harvey Kurtzman's Strange Adventures #1: a Graphic novel of comedy stuff. I was jonesing for my MAD magazine reprints that are on their way. I recall this more fondly than I should.

House of Ax #1: a terrible horror comic.

Invincible Iron Man #2: difficult to reconcile that Bendis wrote this and Guardians of the Galaxy. This is pretty great.

Ivar, Timewalker #10: what happens when you're a time traveler and your time-traveling buddy dies? Go back to a time tyou know he was a live and rescue him. Only this is in an Ancient Rome populated by talking dinosaurs, so there's that.

Justice League of America #4: Woof...Bryan Hitch has had some bad examples of comic writers because this is some decompressed shit. Beginning to wonder when the point will come.

Justice League #45: holy shit. This is a little insane. 

Karnak #1: "I can always throw in the little tiny piece of dialogue that so and so hasn't been the same since whatever happened because I just want to write a well-established character of 6 decades the way I want to write him and nothing like he has ever been portrayed in the past"-Warren Ellis.

King Tiger #3: fun. Probably should have been a three issue mini.

Marvel Zombies #4: Another steep dive into the dirt at the end of a SW tie-in mini.

Meteors #1: Eh...not my bag.

Ninjak #8: solid, as always.

Paybacks #2: a way better issue than the first. This got fun.

Secret Wars Agents of Atlas #1: an okay oneshot.

Spider-Man 2099 #1: awful.

Superman-Lois & Clark #1: whoa...I liked this. I don't have a fucking clue what DC's doing, but this is the pre New 52 Superman alive and well and operating in secret in the New 52 world. It sounds like a bag of suck, but it's pretty good. Lee Weeks on art!

Switch #1: A new bearer for the Witchblade. Interesting premise so far.

Comics: 1390
Graphic Novels: 59

Flash GL: Faster Friends - Good look at the history of Barry and Hal. And wow Oliver Queen can be a dick.

Superman #45 - Appreciated the Filipino myth(myth! Yeth?) plotline, the Godzilla homage variant and Howard Porter's art but this is probably getting dropped.

Godzilla in Hell #4 - I would agree that this was the best since the first one, but I was more positive towards it than Des. Kickass battle between arguably the two most vicious adversaries and the most evil iteration of Godzilla in the movies. 

Alias Vol 3 The Underneath - Just happened to reread this. Love it for the mix of grit and the absurdity of the Marvel U. That Speedball appearance? 

ASM #2 - While I don't agree with the direction they've taken Peter Parker, I really enjoyed this.

ASM Vol. 7 Happy Birthday - Possibly my favorite trade of JMS' run so far. While I didn't appreciate Dr. Strange butting in to advertise his own book(that never happened, if I remember correctly) I really liked ASM 500 and the two done-in-ones that followed.

Shattered Empire #4 - This series as a whole didn't feel all that essential(yet) but it was still a decent read. Always happy to see Marco Checchetto's art.

Superman-Lois & Clark #1: whoa...I liked this. I don't have a fucking clue what DC's doing, but this is the pre New 52 Superman alive and well and operating in secret in the New 52 world. It sounds like a bag of suck, but it's pretty good. Lee Weeks on art!

Agreed. Despite some clunky expositional dialogue (which would have been better as captions), this was very fun and I cannot wait to see where DC takes this. And that shot of the black-suit, bearded Superman flying into the sky: :buttrock:

Frankly, I'm just glad to have a new book with the Superman I grew up with.

Astonishing Ant-Man #1: So. Fucking. Good. Picks up right where the last series left off, except you know, not taking into account the whole thing ended pretty definitively. But I don't care because Spencer on Ant-man is fucking gold.

The Beauty #3: I think I'm done. The pace on this is glacial to me.

The Damned vol 1: crazy fantasy were-people euro graphic novel.

Infinite Adventures of Jonas Quantum #1: not very good. It's allllll concept.

The Rook #1: Not sure I know of a decent time travel comic that's about time travel. This isn't one for sure.

The Shield #1: So good. I'm in.

The Steam Man #1: Killed it. I'm in.

The Tithe #6: Excellent. A little slow on the investigation this second arc and it seems like everything is so obvious. Not sure if they'll throw an audible.

Uncanny Avengers #1: Fucking terrible. ANYONE can literally be an Avenger now. This is godawful mostly due to the existence of Deadpool. I'm out.

Trancers #1: I have all the Puppet Masters comics but haven't read them yet. Decided to do this one first. It's ok. I'll give it another issue. The art's pretty terrible.

Uncanny Inhumans #1: This story is impenetrable. You'd think Marvel would understand #1's because they publish them so fucking much.

Weirdworld #5: strange that the last issue is the only one that made a lick of sense. It was alright. Not sure if I'll try the reboot series.

Comics: 1401
Graphic Novels: 60

I had no idea until this week that it's pre-New-52 Supes living in a post-Flashpoint world. That's a wild concept, especially with the bullshit that they're doing to Superman these days. Last issue I read he becomes a cage-fighter to eat.

Daredevil: Love and War by Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz.

I have to say...I had very little idea on what was going on in this book. It's been a while since I've said that of a Miller comic, but this is the first one of his Daredevil where I was completely thrown for a loop. I had also forgotten how avant-garde and nuts Sienkiewicz's artwork can be. It's...nuts man. I really couldn't take away anything else but that. I mean the plot is straightforward, but the actual writing is so abstract and pulpy that no one talks like any human being I've met.

I had no idea until this week that it's pre-New-52 Supes living in a post-Flashpoint world. That's a wild concept, especially with the bullshit that they're doing to Superman these days. Last issue I read he becomes a cage-fighter to eat.

Daredevil: Love and War by Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz.

I have to say...I had very little idea on what was going on in this book. It's been a while since I've said that of a Miller comic, but this is the first one of his Daredevil where I was completely thrown for a loop. I had also forgotten how avant-garde and nuts Sienkiewicz's artwork can be. It's...nuts man. I really couldn't take away anything else but that. I mean the plot is straightforward, but the actual writing is so abstract and pulpy that no one talks like any human being I've met.

1. Yeah, it seems someone cares about Superman at DC. I hope the comic gets a fair shake to continue its run. 

2. Love and War is my least favorite Miller DD thing. It's actually kind of terrible when you strip away how beautiful Sienkiewicz's artwork is. It's in the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson Daredevil Companion Omnibus that's coming out. I'll skip it when I read through it.