Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Constantine the Hellblazer 6: Neat series of vignettes as a breath catcher that leads into the next arc, some nice references, cute read. 

Slash and Burn 1: Well this is certainly a thing. Not sure what to think of it just yet, but it's an interesting angle for sure. Wish it had been Lotay on the art as well as the cover, though. 

8House: Yorris 2: Well, this just went straight up into secretly alien crack and also a mental house. Alright. Let's see where that heads.

Mythic 4 -5: Starting to come together, neat art, have kiiind of an idea where the story might be going? Still a fun read. 

Codename Baboushka 2: Fun, mindless, and is starting to get a sense of what it is. Intrigued by those glimmers. 

All New Wolverine 1: Laura hunting down clones of herself? Hell. Yes. 

Hercules 1: Fun enough? Like, this isn't spectacular, but it's a cute enough first issue. 

Southern Bastards 12: Oh hey there drug induced kiddie cartoon drug trip from hell. Nice to see ya.

Captain America: White 4: IT'S JUST INGLORIOUS BASTERDS WITH THE TYPICAL BUCKY/CAP TWIST YOU FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

All New All Different Avengers 1: Cute moment with Sam and the Ms. Marvel and Nova backup, the rest is really gonna need some work to come together. Waid can do better than this. 

Secret Wars 7: I don't even know what the fuck is going on any more, and that's with reading the few relevant tie ins here. Fuck it man. It's pretty. That's pretty much the only reason I"m following this any more. 

Darth Vader 12: Yeah alright, I can see where Vader Down is gonna go now. Looks pretty damn fun. 

Spider Gwen 2: Fuck yeah Cap's a teenage black girl! Love the bio she gets in back, and the expanding world here. 

Thought Bubble Anthology: Neat one to two pages comics from a shitton of different artists and writers. Great stuff. Want to fucking go to the con some day.

Rat Queens 13: You can tell this is starting to come back together on both the art and writing front, which after the starts and stops since Upchurch, is what the comic needs. 

Edited by Venneh

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits: Love it. Story of a punk family and what can simply be described as their crazy ass lives. Great stories, just a great time. 

Archie 4: Yeah, Archie's kind of a dick. Wouldn't mind fourth wall breaking from someone other than him. Wu does great on the art for this issue. 

Angela: Queen of Hel 2: The fight to get to Hela has started. Hans still does great flashback stuff. Main artist is making Sera super white and thin, which, have you seen the character model? Also Leah is back?? IDEK. I'm here for this though. 

Saga 31: Another neat time jump. And oh man, this is gonna be great. 

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: Black girl all about dat science? Dinosaur? Yeah, I'm here for this. 

All New All Different Avengers 1: Cute moment with Sam and the Ms. Marvel and Nova backup, the rest is really gonna need some work to come together. Waid can do better than this. 

Concur'D, main story was typical modern-day first issue waste of time. Back-up story was better. I agree with you too about Ms. Marvel #1, having that set after we even see her meet and join the Avengers kinda stinks.

Secret Wars #7: this issue is so ridiculous that it's almost a satire of multi-sided fantasy warfare. Look which army is joining in now! It's pretty but this series is stupid as fuck and has outworn its welcome by about three months.

Slash & Burn #1: Interesting. I'm in for another.

Squadron Sinister #4: Solid. Maybe the best of the tie-ins. Weirdly going to pick up with a new series featuring all different characters.

Superman American Alien #1: Half stupid, half endearing. Kind of like writer Max Landis, I guess.

Astonishing Ant-Man #2: Yeah. The feels. And the laughs. Solid.

The Beauty #4: okay, officially done here.

The Mighty Thor #1: I'm kind of sucked back in.

Twilight Children #2: this sucks. Two full issues with literally six pages of plot. 

The Goddamned #1: Fucking cool. Very much up my alley. I will be folowing this monthly AND likely buying the trades too.

The Steam Man #2: Awesome. I knew this origin story and still loved it. Might quit and grab in trade, but I really like this.

Thors #4: Kind of dumb.

Ultimates #1: interesting. I'll give it another.

Vampirella 1969: not bad. Cute anthology.

Wrath of the eternal Warrior #1: Fuck...cool.

Comics: 1541
Graphic Novels: 65
Trade Paperbacks: 118
Omnibus: 16

Batman volume 6 - Good compilation of all the various stories that wouldn't have fit anywhere else. The Clayface story was really good. That one Batman Beyond easter egg might've been going too far though.

Godzilla in Hell #5 - Great book. Made my skin crawl.

Ms. Marvel #1 - The new #1s have really revitalized the books. Dug the hell out of this. I like Donovan's comparison of the art team to Jock and Francavilla from Snyder's Detective run. I believe Ian Herring deserves more praise though, for keeping it all consistent.

Spider-Woman #1 - I really have no idea why they're doing this whole pregnancy thing. The book's still well-written and drawn, but there's just that one thing that's distracting.

Star Wars #12 - A good read, but then everybody starts wielding a lightsaber. Which is equally fun and dumb.

Star Wars Vader Down #1 - BADASS. Deodato draws the best Vader.

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man: Fight Night: Jim and I found this on clearance over on In Stock Trades. WHY THE HELL IS THIS ON CLEARANCE. The story is basically the framing work for Marco Rudy to go absogoddamlutely insane over the course of a five issue mini. First issue: he goes from Williams to Francavilla to Mack to Bernie Wrightson to everything inbetween without even breaking a sweat. Half our time was spent screaming fuck you at every other page, and the other was spent pouring over all the details in every panel. Val Staples does some amazing stuff on the colors here as well. Pretty sure this is still on sale, go get it.

Dark Knight III: The...th-*sigh*.......M-Master Race...

Compared to everything Miller has done since the turn of the century, nowhere near as batshit. Nothing interesting either, very watered down and uninteresting. Wondering if Azzarello and Didio were holding him back.

71 Yards -  Remember that Hit Girl fight scene in Kick Ass?  I laughed at the creator saying this was basically just his 'getting back in the groove' project and isn't anything special.  It wasn't, but it wasn't horrible either.

Bad Ass -  Not entirely sure if I am missing something or not.  Either way, this does a horrible job at world building.  Good character building, but horrible world building. 

Kyrra: Alien Jungle Girl -  I enjoyed this.  The art has just the right amount of cartoony and it is nice and colorful.  Only downside is that these are like 12 pages.

Kiss Me, Satan - Werewolf crime bosses, angels, devils, guns, witches, zombie ninjas (or ninja zombies.  Not sure which).  Fun little supernatural action story.

Comics: 610
Digital First Comics: 65
Graphic Novels: 24
Trades: 145 (775)(4)(144)

De:Tales - Hardcover collecting Fabio Moon's and Gabriel Ba's work. The stories were either done by one, the other, or both. There is a feeling of them getting the hang of storytelling, some stories felt so open-ended that I was left thinking "So that was it?" I can't deny though, that there is a lot of emotion to it, and the artwork is always gorgeous. I'd say this was a good primer for their work. 

Scud The Disposable Assassin-The Whole Shebang: everyone's aware Dan Harmon co-created and wrote a bunch of Scuds right? I did. I swear. Anyway, it starts out really solid, and funny and kind of transgressive, but then devolves quickly into inanity and boredom with severe reaches into the intentionally absurd to try and be relevant without success. Kind of like that other thing Dan Harmon did.

Shaft #1-6: It tales a while to get going, but as a Shaft Year one story it's pretty good. Not sure how they equate mall security with Private Dick, but whatever. Some storytelling shortcuts. I only wish they got to the more interesting sooner having taken them.

Comics: 1547
Trade Paperbacks: 118
Omnibus: 17

The Totally Awesome Hulk #1: Surprisingly enjoyable. Fun read, I'm in for the series.

Daredevil (vol.7? 8?) #1: Good art (Ron Garney's work looks like Scott McDaniel's from the 90s with the noir-ish coloring) mixed with very bad exposition. They did a OMD and now Matt's secret is back. Foggy says he's the one person who knows, leaving out people like Kingpin, Elektra and Ben Urich. This reeks of Breevort.

All New X-Men vol.2 #1: The continuing adventures of Cyclops with Bagley art. Slightly comic-booky story, but one I'm interested in.

All New, All Different Avengers #2: Meh

Blood, Shells & Roses - For a story about a rock band killing demons, this was incredibly boring.  And poorly written.

Brimstone - Hard to look at.  So very dark.  Zombies in the old west?  Sign me up.  But the art is so dark that I cannot see anything. 

Models, Inc. - Still waiting to get the point.  I fancy myself a Marvel guy and I have no idea who most of these people are.

Shotgun Wedding - Okay, in a bargain bin, direct to DVD action movie kinda way.

Villains For Hire - I think reading Heroes For Hire first would have been a good move.  Still, these are some H level characters and I struggle to care.

Comics: 629
Graphic Novels: 25

The Flash #46 - Really good. Zoom's a great villain. I hope to see some variety with the stories soon, though. Barry fighting time-traveling speedsters has been pretty much the only Flash story happening in the past year and a half or so. The Looney Tunes variant is wonderful, always nice to see Manapul draw the Flash.

Darth Vader #13 - Gillen does well with his end of the crossover. Larroca's work is still as good as it's been.

Daredevil #1 - Very mixed on this. Writing and art-wise, it's really well-done. Reading it...it may just be the growing pains of getting back to noir DD after the past 5 years or so of Waid's take, but I was a bit uneasy. Losing the supporting cast, minus the few pages of Foggy, felt wrong to me. 

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1 - A delight. Great introduction to Lunella. Love the artwork, which is surprisingly not disappointing considering that Amy Reeder is on the creative team but not as the artist.

Rat Queens vol 2: better than the first. Sejic's art helps. Solid work even though it feels a little bit like someone's RPG campaign set to comics at times.

Marvel Zombies Return #1-5: really off-kilter. Seeing as each issue features a different creative team telling one cohesive story, it makes sense. Not great. Some gems here and there.

Marvel Zombies Evil Evolution #1: Ugh...Marvel Zombies versus the Marvel Apes world. Kill it with fire.

Deep State vol 1: covered the first issue with Mike ages ago on IIWY or FIS and remember being a little luke warm on it. Still feel the same.

Comics: 1553
Trade Paperbacks: 120

Translucid: really good. It felt like Umbrella Academy which is definitely good.

Wind of the Gods: the first volume of a samurai epic graphic novel published by Heavy Metal. Not good at all.

Eternal Warrior: Wings of Justice: a terribly bland oneshot from the Valiant Acclaim era.

Comics: 1554
Graphic Novels: 66
Trade Paperbacks: 121

I also read some fo the first issue of the follow up Eternal Warriors series to the above and it was unreadable. So was Jim Starlin's Thanos Relativity. Oof.

Twelve Reasons to Die (feat Ghostface Killah) -  I don't know about this one.  It is an average to boring mob story with a vastly more interesting back-up up about a collection death records.  Then the two storied merged in issue 5, and I kinda like that.  Yet that doesn't change the fact that the first half of five issues bored me.

Comics: 635
Graphic Novels: 25

Wolverine #133-149: Erik Larsen's run. This is terrible. Jeff Matsuda used to be an artist I really liked, but man his stuff is awful. 

All-New Wolverine #1: X-23 is Wolverine now and she's partnered a bit with Angel who might be the young version of Angel from the past because he's white and looks younger they way they draw him who doesn't have feather wings anymore, but energy wings. Anyway, she is profoundly feeling advice Wolverine gave her when they were members of X-Force because Wolvie died. Anyway, she's hunting down clones of herself and she probably doesn't know that Wolvie's still around, only he's a really old man who's probably too busy to help her because he has the hots for the 15 year old version of a married woman he used to bang on occasion. If there's a way to put what's wrong with the current Marvel U, it's this paragraph. Marvel is seriously fucked up.

Stray #1-4: I reread the first three again because the fourth took a long time. This is actually a hel of a lot like the novel I'm currently writing. I like it a lot though.

Comics: 1576
Graphic Novels: 66
Trade Paperbacks: 121

Survivor's Club 3: And here we go. Alright. Kelly does good on art, and the story is continuing to come together well. 

Sheriff of Babylon 1: Noir set in Iraq, split between a cop (whose I COULD HAVE STOPPED 9/11 ANGST I can tell I'm probably going to get real sick of real quick), an Iraqi cop, and a lady kingpin, doesn't whitewash what was done in Iraq, and looks to be a real neat story. I'm in. 

Gotham Academy 12: I love how we get a book that's split between Scooby Doo antics and some real gothic shit like this. This was apparently Kreschl's last issue, I'll miss him, but I'm eager to see where this goes next. 

The Vision 2: The creeping horror of suburbia and vague hints at what's going to come, plus the Visions dealing with what was done to their family and a larger mystery unfolding? Probably the most experimental and interesting thing coming out of the reboot, which means it's gonna be cancelled at 6 issues. 

ABC Warriors: The Mek-nificent Seven and the Black Hole: First volume is servicable. Second volume is full out balls to the wall crazy in the best sort of way. 

Edited by Venneh

Harbinger vol 6 Omegas: this is the weakest trade form one of Valiant's weaker books, so it didn't have much of a wow factor for me. Interesting to see how it leads into Imperium, though.

Marvel Graphic Novel 18 The Sensational She-Hulk: Oh John Byrne of 1985...where hast though gone? This is spectacular. I'm going to read through the ongoing soon. 

Batman Special 1984: Barr and Golden on the story pitting Bats against his opposite, Wrath. What a great single issue story. powerful and fun. A truly great batman story.

All-New Wolverine #2: so, here's the thing: I'm not the biggest fan of this bok, but this artist looks more like John Cassaday than John Cassaday has since Astonishing X-Men, so I'm going to continue with it until he's gone.

All-New All-Different Avengers #2: this is the Ms. Marvel and Nova show again, which is lame. I might just be out.

All-New X-Men #1: big shocker, even though I think Marvel has fucked the X-Men beyond recognition, perhaps even permanently, this was kind of fun. First time I've enjoyed Bagley in a while. Feels weird to enjoy the young original X-Men too. New Wolverine and Kid Apocalypse too. I'm in for the first arc anyway.

All-Star Section Eight #6: I'm ashamed of myself for reading this whole series. Seriously. Fuck, man.

Anathema v 1: Rachel Deering's latest horror book. Hammeresque. Sexy and werewolves. I'm in.

Comics: 1581
Graphic Novels: 67
Trade Paperbacks: 123

Edited by Dread

Lost Dogs: Lemire's first work. Has a nice little arc, depressing as hell, neat three color scheme that works really well. You can tell he's still finding his feet, but it's a nice little read. 

Lost Girls: So, this is basically Alan Moore does an erotic comic that also happens to be a take on fairy tales. And for the most part, he's super successful at twisting the fairy tales into tales of sexual awakening! Like, the only parts where I got point blank pulled out of the story were the rape and incest bits. Otherwise, narrative flowed well, there were some real neat tricks with the art that I really liked, and it was a pretty damn neat read. 

Batman Special 1984: Barr and Golden on the story pitting Bats against his opposite, Wrath. What a great single issue story. powerful and fun. A truly great batman story.

That is one of my favorite Batman stories ever, as I waxed poetic about here.

Lost Girls: So, this is basically Alan Moore does an erotic comic that also happens to be a take on fairy tales. And for the most part, he's super successful at twisting the fairy tales into tales of sexual awakening! Like, the only parts where I got point blank pulled out of the story were the rape and incest bits. Otherwise, narrative flowed well, there were some real neat tricks with the art that I really liked, and it was a pretty damn neat read. 

I find it hard to find a Moore book that doesn't have at least some inference of rape, if not outright including it. I know they're out there, but still...