Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man - Fight Night - The story is bad. The art is interesting and frustrating due to changing styles so many times (which fits the story). But the style I like the most is used the least so, boo.

Neonomicon - I knew nothing about this when I picked it off the shelf. I was getting into it, but every time I was about to really enjoy it: SWERVE! And I think the ending (and probably more) went over my head due to lack of knowledge of Lovecraft-y things.

Holy F*ck - Jesus & Satan team up to stop other Gods from starting a nuclear apocalypse. It was stupid. So very stupid. But fun. A Mad-TV skit basically.

Comics: 74
Digital First Comics: 42
Graphic Novels: 1

Trades: 53 (312)(4)

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

East of West vol 1: There's a lot to unpack here. Maybe a little too much. Still, it's pretty solid.

Shadowman-End Times: A way better ending to the character than the regular series gave.

Outcast vol 1: Super great., Creepy, quiet and dark. Mean-spirited and provocative. Not sure how it will translate to TV, but I love TWD and hate the TV show, so who cares?

Comics: 230

Graphic Novels: 14

Trade Paperbacks: 40

Omnibus: 2

Johnny Cash: I See Darkness - Nothing new if you know the basics already, but still an enjoyable read. Some really good art too.

Shoplifter - A 'slice of life' story with a rather misleading title. Quick and I doubt I remember this next week.

Z-Girl & The 4 Tigers #1 - Better than I thought going in. I'd be down for #2.

Tattoo - Zombies. I haven't read/watched much with them in it, and I am kinda sick of zombies. At least this had a little new (at least to me) twist on things.

Comics: 79
Digital First Comics: 42
Graphic Novels: 3

The Avengers Omnibus, Vol. 1 - collects issues #1-30. Like a lot of early Marvel, this is an exercise in watching a book figure out what it's doing. For the first year and a half, It's the big guns taking on huge world-beating villains, and the stories themselves aren't very interesting. There's a certain degree of antagonism between the main characters - Thor will throw down with whichever Avenger smudged his boot that issue with no provocation, and the Hulk (who officially quit in issue 2 but popped up a lot over the first year nonetheless) only exists to punch other Avengers in the face. In issue 16, the team changes pretty dramatically (Thor had a lot going on over in his book and needed to be in Asgard full-time, but Iron Man and Giant-Man basically both said "Man, I haven't had a vacation in forever") and as a result becomes far less powerful; this actually leads to the book becming far more interesting, and it becomes more about the interpersonal relationships between the team members, especialy Cap and Hawkeye. The ways they have to defeat the villain of the month have to be cleverer, and it's brought up more than once that without a tank like Thor or Iron Man, they're a lot more vulnerable. I just wish anyone, up to and including Stan Lee (who wrote every issue), had any idea how the Scarlet Witch's powers worked. He's clearly making it up as he goes. Giant-Man (now Goliath) and the Wasp rejoin towards the end of the volume, giving the team the powerhouse it needs along with another woman (who Stan is much better at writing now; her first go-around was nothing but "I like boys, tee hee" and at this point she actually sounds like a real character. Unfortunately, her return doesn't prevent her from basically just being Hank's sidekick; even after Goliath makes the corner box, Jan still does not).

The art is a mixed bag. Jack Kirby handles things for the first nine issues, and it's not his best work, although his interest is clearly engaged once Captain America enters the picture; his action scenes are far more exciting than anything else going on here. Adter that, Don Heck takes over, and his work is extremely inker-dependent. A huge chunk of it was inked by Dick Ayers, and these issues don't look very good at all. Everything is scratchy and opaque, with a lot of weird faces. After a handful of gorgeous issues inked by Wally Wood and then an outstanding one inked by John Romita Sr., Frank Giacoia takes over, and things settle in nicely. Their styles mesh much more effectively, and Heck is at this point obviously getting more comfortable drawing superheroes.

This was a very quick read; I knocked it out in two sessions. Fun stuff.

Yeah, I think that was Kirby's sixth monthly book at the time, and he didn't really care too much for the concept given that he was already drawing a great team book that didn't copy the DC style. Until the new team takes over, Avengers wasn't very good.

Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return #1: This was goofy and fun, but not great. I'll pass.

Altered States Doc Savage #1: What if Doc Savage was a caveman...rather, what if he hallucinated he was a caveman. Snooooooze...

Southern Bastards vol 1: Jason Aaron clearly has some shit to work out between him and his dad judging by this and Men of Wrath. This was pretty fucking great, though. Not sure where it could go from here.

God Hates Astronauts vol 2: Fun and goofy but not as delightful as the first volume. I loved that a lot. Maybe the shine is off? Not sure.

Comics: 232

Trade Paperbacks: 42

A Second Chance At Sarah - Time travel. Deals with the devil. Story is kinda standard, but I loved the art.

Moonstone Noir: Pat Novak for Hire - Um, sure. Not bad, but kinda too long. Stopped caring before the end.

Batman '66 #54 & #55 - Lord Death Man. I don't think it fits this universe at all, yet it completely does. I mean, come on, Lord Death Man!

Comics: 80
Digital First Comics: 44
Graphic Novels: 4

Burning Fields #3: Okay, didn't enjoy the second so much, but the third issue really turned this around.

Chrononauts #1: this was terrible. The art was pretty good, but the writing is SO FUCKING BAD. The main characters are dude bros and there's a play at comedy but none of it hits. This might be the worst thing that Millar's ever written. Let that sink in.

Divinity #2: So, this DOES take place in the Valiant Universe. Very interested to see how this shakes out.

Frankenstein Underground #1: I like the take. It isn't unique, but it's solid.

Invisible Republic #1: Wow. Great first issue.

Ivar Timewalker #3: As fun and action-packed as previous issues. This arc - titled "You Can't Kill Hitler" - is pretty damned great. Van Lente is as funny as he is a solid writer here. There is also a scene where Hitler bursts into a room and says the following: "What in the name of Richard Wagner is going on in here?!" Pretty awesome.

Comics: 238

Bigfoot: I Not Dead - The third Bigfoot book by Graham Roumieu. I love these things. Super quick, super childish, super fun.

That Salty Air - And I thought Bigfoot was a quick read. I assume there is supposed to be some deep meaning in this. Assume, because, this was a bunch of nothing.

Marvel Knights X-Men: Haunted - Complete mess. Bad plot and horrible, horrible art.

Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business - Story is okay, but the art is what drives this book. Great work on that end.

Interesting Drug - Not a fan of this art. Story is interesting, but falls into the trap I have with time travel stories. That is to say, the climax plays loose with the rules that have been set up.

Comics: 80
Digital First Comics: 44
Graphic Novels: 8

Trades: 54 (318)(4)

Lady Rawhide Lady Zorro #1: Woof. This ain't good.

Millennium #2: This, however, is. A step up from the first issue. Interested to see where they take this.

Plunder #2: Alright, I'm out. It isn't bad, but I found myself flipping through bored.

Princess Leia #2: Okay, this is the only one of the three SW series that feels like it's being done right. I feel like this mission could very well have happened between films whereas the rebels have fought Vader three times in the other two series already.

Red One #1: Watching The Americans so this is pretty bad by comparison.

Secret identities #2: Gotta say that they moved forward to what i thought would be more like issue five in this issue. I'm loving this.

Sensations Comics #28,29: One good and one so so.

Shaper #1: I couldn't even explain what happened here.

ST/Planet of the Apes #4: Dumb fun.

Strange Sports Stories #1: Terrible. Unbelievable that this got published. Gilbert Hernandez has to be the most overrated creator in comics.

TMNT Villains Microseries #1-8: This was a blast. Eight oneshots each focusing on a Turtles villain. The standouts are Hob (one of my new favorite characters), Hun and Bebop & Rocksteady. I'm all in on this modern Turtles stuff.

Comics: 257

The Fly Outbreak #1: I don't remember the Fly sequel enough to tell if this is a sequel to that or a rewrite, but this is the Cronenberg film continued into comics. It isn't very good. menton3 is usually a stellar artist but this is flat and emotionless, even when you don't consider the fact that there's very little in the way of storytelling. Not good.

TMNT Microseries #1-8: This covers all the heroes and a runaway robot named Fugitoid. I'm in love with IDW's Turtles. Onto the main series soon.

Comics: 266

Catwoman Volume 2 - By Ed Brubaker and Cameron Stewart. (for most of it) Love this. There's a lot going on with the characters. Might be the best Selina's ever been written. Dig the overall look of the book, once Cameron Stewart got on the art just gets excellent. Love how he draws fight scenes, they're easy to follow and full of energy. His characters may seem similar, particularly the women, but there's a lot of life to them. Him not being in volume 3 almost makes me not want to get it.

Coffin Hill Volume 2 - Creepy book. Simple but effective artwork. Has quite a few characters and time periods to juggle, and I'm not sure it does it quite well. It could just be me needing to pay more attention though.

The Fly Outbreak #1: I don't remember the Fly sequel enough to tell if this is a sequel to that or a rewrite, but this is the Cronenberg film continued into comics. It isn't very good. menton3 is usually a stellar artist but this is flat and emotionless, even when you don't consider the fact that there's very little in the way of storytelling. Not good.

Yeah, I didn't even bother when I saw Cronenberg wasn't involved.

Sarah Rough: Hilarious Italian erotic graphic novel.

Sex Games: Terrible Italian erotic graphic novel.

Wolverine vol 1: This is the Cornell/Davis run. Beautiful book. Some good story moments. I LOVE the bar they create. Very cool. Interesting to see that this was all leading to killing Wolverine before they said they were going to do it.

Bad Ass vol 1: This is about a villain. It's crude and very mean-spirited. But it's sharp and kind of funny at times.

Graphic Novels: 16

Trade Paperbacks: 44

Stray Bullets v1: I grabbed this because I thought it was the first collection of the recent reboot, but it turned out to be the original run in a new trade dressing. Still great stuff. I remember a lot of it vividly. A real peak of indie comics from the late 90s.

X-Men v1 Primer: This is the trade of the all-lady all-different X-Men. Two stories: one three issue arc where the team operates together "for the first time" even though they've all been X-Men since I was a child and the second which is more of a character arc between Rachel Summers and Storm and Wolverine and Jubilee. Some good stuff. Better in the second story than the first.

Trade Paperbacks: 46

Amazing Spider-Man vol.3 #17.

Probably gonna drop the title again after the next issue wraps up the oh-so-unpredictable story of Peter losing his business. Slott's been slogging through the series' relaunch ever since it returned, and while Spider-Verse was amusing enough and even fun in some places, Slott's actual ASM issue were by far the weakest. I can also go the rest of my life without seeing the whole flustered Peter Parker can't keep his double life balanced trope again, which Slott seems to enjoy exhausting. I like Ramos, but art has never trumped bad writing when it comes to Spider-Man. That's a fact of the character, God knows.

I can also go the rest of my life without seeing the whole flustered Peter Parker can't keep his double life balanced trope again, which Slott seems to enjoy exhausting. I like Ramos, but art has never trumped bad writing when it comes to Spider-Man. That's a fact of the character, God knows.

I think we disagree on these points. I'm not quite current on ASM (I think I have 1-2 Superior trades left). However, I think Spider-Man works the best when he is struggling. I'm not talking classic Daredevil levels of crap piled on top of him. Just problems paying rent, woman problems, ect. Just my preference.

And I do not like Ramos' art on Spider-Man for some reason. I just doesn't fit in my head.

And I do not like Ramos' art on Spider-Man for some reason. I just doesn't fit in my head.

Mike and I have had words about this, but I totally agree. He's a talented artist and storyteller, but he just doesn't work for me on Spider-Man.

Avengers Assemble: an eight issue mini by Bendis and Bagley that seemingly no one read that was sort of the last thing before Marvel Now. It post-dated Avengers and pre-dated Guardians of the Galaxy moviewise but features a team-up between the teams. The movie rosters are used. As much as there were elements to dislike (like how long it takes to keep going because it should have been a five issue mini), I kind of enjoyed it.

Trade Paperbacks: 47