Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bloodshot Reborn #1: Interesting take. Not mindblowing, but few of the Valiant series are in their first issues.

Sabrina #2: Whoa...bold. Not sure what the delays were in this series, but if you wait three to five months between issues and the second issue has your title character on like 2 pages it's probably not the best move. I'm dropping this monthly and will grab the first trade when it comes out...in six years.

Convergence titles:

Aquaman #1

Shadow of the Bat #1

Green Arrow #1

Justice league International #1

Suicide Squad #1

Superboy #1

Superman Man of Steel #1

Swamp Thing #1

Catwoman #1

^Yikes, still not one readable issue. This is a TERRIBLE event.

Comics: 447

Graphic Novels: 22

Trade Paperbacks: 55

Omnibus: 3

Superior Foes of Spider Man 1-16: a bunch of d list Spider-Man foes attempt to not fuck up being super villains. Hilarity ensues. Great jokes with the art, and the writing is top notch. If you haven't read this already, go use that free month on MU and fix that.

Convergence stuff:

-Green Lantern/Parallax #1: best of the entire run of Convergence stuff but still not very good.

-Supergirl/Matrix #1: I puked in my mouth a little. Are people missing these characters?

-New Teen Titans #1: FINALLY something half decent. It isn't great, but the 80s Titans fighting the Doom Patrol from the Tangent Universe is a lot of fun.

-Wonder Woman #1: Can't remember for the life of me what happens.

-#2 and 3: the main series. There is a moment where Batman meets Flashpoint Batman (his dad) that's kind of neat and the art's great, but this series stinks.

Dark Gods #5: Holy fuck, this is crazy intense.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes #6: Good ending to an uneven but beautiful looking series.

Divinity #3: Holy shit, this is great. Truly transgressive sci fi that EVERYBODY else seems to be trying right now but completely missing the mark. Valiant wins again.

Drones #1: Terrible.

Empire Uprising #1: wow. The sequel to the early 00's Waid/Kitson series form DC. This was great. Need to reread the original.

Comics: 458

Avengers 1-37: The Hickman run. Spends most of its time building towards Infinity, which then builds towards Time Runs Out. Not sure how I feel about this run right now. There's some real neat underdeveloped and original characters who get development, and the focus here is definitely more on the cosmic side of things. But man, the reformation of the Illuminati and Cho being one of them just... wow. Apparently there's more of the Illuminati stuff explained on the New Avengers run, which I'm gonna tackle tonight probably. But hey, for the most part, this has real good artists, including a brief stint by Esad Ribic.

The Avengers issues #57-#64

This is my first time reading Avengers comics for a decent length of time. Saw the "Behold the Vision!" Epic Collection, looked at the credits and got it on a whim. Being more than familiar with Marvel Silver Age books, this so far is a fun return to a lot of that. Helps that John Buscema's artwork is out of this world. I was previously only familiar with him on Amazing Spider-Man where he was clearly inked to resemble Romita. But his work as inked by George Klein looked like Romita and Gene Colan had a beautiful baby together. It's gorgeous work. The plots are freaking bananas. The entire Yellowjacket/Hank and Jane wedding two parter is hilarious. The fact that the Circus of Crime thought they stood a chance when practically the entire Marvel Universe was in the next room waiting to spank their asses still cracks me up. These are some fun books thus far in the run, helped by terrific late 60s artwork.

New Avengers 1-25: Moral event horizon the comic. Like the focus on what the fuck is going on with the Illuminati, the real build to the new status quo appears to be here. Running question seems to be how low can we go?

Infinity 1-6: cosmic event, kind of jumbled between the builders/etc and the son of Thanos (has he shown up since?). Works better in the tie ins.

Epochalypse #5: So frigging weird. Fun, but bizarre.

Frankenstein Underground #2: This. Is. Great.

GI Joe ARAH #213: Okay, I think Snake Eyes died in this one but I'm not sure. I'm a little confused.

God Is Dead #32, 33: Holy shit, this keeps getting better and better.

Invisible Republic #2: This is good. Might switch to trade though, as it is pretty glacially paced.

Ivar, Timewalker #4: So. Good.

Kaptara #1: Another "hip"sci fi book. I wasn't swayed.

King-The Phantom #2: the first issue of this series is the only one I liked from the King reboot. And I didn't like this one very much.

Millennium #4: This was the most solid of the issues so far. Pretty dang good.

Comics: 468

Incredible Herc 113-141: Nice change of pace after the Hickman run: it's fun, it's ridiculous, it has possibly the best sound effects I've ever seen in a comic, and with the exception of a few issues, is pretty light hearted. When they do throw the emotional punches, it's good stuff. Cho and Herc balance each other out well.

Ninjak #2: Excellent. I'm in.

Secret Identities #3: This is the best series almost no one is reading. Super solid.

Sensation Comics #31: Solid issue. Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy have to go after...well, he's a monster.

Star Wars #4: This finally got great.

Suiciders #3: This got great too.

The Black Hood #3: Wow. Keeping the tradition of getting great going...

Maxx Maxximized #18: How many issues did this series run? This wasn't very good.

The Tithe #1: Wow. A heist book featuring an Anonymous-style group that targets fraudulent super churches and robs them. Fantastic premise. Good first issue.

Comics: 476

Read Old Man Logan tonight on MDCU and man, I feel bad for the people that paid money for it. There's some great moments like the reveal of why Wolverine became a pacifist, Red Skull gloating over Captain America, and Wolverine finally popping his claws; but so much of it is Millar being more interested in his over the top, fan service filled world-run-by-supervillains than the absolute goldmine that is Unforgiven starring Wolverine. Gorgeous art though.

Doubt 1, 2: Two volume manga featuring a group of teenagers playing a game where it turns out one of them is the killer. From the end of volume one and throughout the second volume, there's a crazy plot twist every twenty pages. So much so it gets boring. Fun final ending though. I have to say. Even though it's stupid as fuck.

Thor #7: God, this was good. Not sure if the answer to who it is is "fucking duh!" or if I'll be blown away next issue. Regardless, it's fun as hell. Dario Agger is a great new villain too.

Aquila #1: a 2000 AD comic about an immortal gladiator who kicks a lot of ass. Not a lot going for it other than the premise. Might grab the next issue, but probably not.

Comics: 478

Graphic Novels: 24

Convergence Batgirl #2: Lousy. Textbook example for the future of not giving fan-favorite characters to a writer who has no idea how to write them.

Amazing Spider-Man vol.3 #18: Moderately distracting. I kind of liked the back up since Peter got involved in it, but I'll be looking forward to the day Slott's off this title. I'm definitely gone once Renew Your Vows is over.

WicDiv 10: and again, the tradition of things blowing up every five issues continues. More with Morrigan and Baphomet, which I appreciate, and the newest member of the pantheon. Things have been set up to get real fucked, and I can't wait to see how this goes down next issue.

No Mercy 2: Alex DeCampi, bringing the body count. Bring out your dead! Or don't, cause then they'll attract the coyotes. Also possibly made the Madoka theme song even more sinister. It's amazing. We're two issues in of twenty four, and there's only more death to come. I can't wait.

Convergence: Question 2: end of the story. Nice team up between huntress, bat woman, and question, look at her relationship with two face, and a real fucking devastating last few pages (especially when you take into account that rucka just lost his dad.)

Secret Wars 1: yup. That was sure a lot of deaths.

Mighty Avengers 1-14: Street level avengers mixed with a bit of the mystic, Luke Cage and his family, and Blade shows up. Typical Ewing humor, good action, and good look at the street and family levels of all the crazy shit that's going down, well done, definitely worth a page through if you have MU. The art is Greg Land, which, eh.

All New Ghost Rider 1-4: Ghost Rider set in the hood of LA. Robbie Reyes is real interesting, the art style is amazing, and the story, well, you only have four issues to judge by, but I liked what I saw. Pretty sure this got cancelled though.

Black Widow 6-11: Crossovers galore as Natasha tries to figure out what the fuck is going on. Noto kills on the art, particularly in the X23 crossover issue.

Daredevil 1-9: Waid and Samnee on the renumber/reboot in San Fran. Things continue to be awesome, the Original Sins tie in with Wakanda is a bit out of nowhere, but for the most part, this is all good storylines and fantastic as always art from Samnee.

All New Doop 1-5: Milligan, LaFuente, and Allred on Doop. Pretty much as crazy as it sounds. Fun ride, though.

"Worldengine," Thor #491-494: Warren Ellis kicks off a doomed Thor revamp (Onslaught was just around the corner) with a great hook: Thor is dying. Mortal and humiliated, Thor calls to Odin for help. He tells his son "Good. Die well," which is fucking metal. After that there are cyborg zombies, a British detective that's a complete asshole, the Enchantress, and a madman's plot to use technology to control Yggdrasil, the tree at the center of the Nine Realms. Mike Deodato's art is 90s as hell, but there are hints toward his modern style, like a panel of Thor's silhouette on a ledge in the rain. He also gets to draw some beautiful borders for the sections that recount Norse mythology.

"Not Dead Yet," Wolverine #119-122: A pretty rote "revenge by a foe thought dead" story. Ellis gets some interest through contrasting McLeish's love of killing and Wolverine's struggle to keep his berserker nature in check, and if the difference between the two killers even matters. I'm not a Lenil Yu superfan, but he does good work here, much cleaner than it is nowadays. He made sure to draw the Wolverine of a decade ago and the one in the present visually distinct, and there's a classic panel to my mind of Wolverine getting riddled with bullets while standing on a motorcycle.

"Extremis," Iron Man #1-6: Another Warren Ellis revamp, this time of Iron Man for the 21st Century. The best parts of the arc are Tony's conversations with the documnetarian and one of his mentors, both asking if he's made any worthwhile changes in the world. The intercutting of the latter with the Extremis fueled attack on an FBI building (for which a fellow futurist is "responsible") is great. I also found how Ellis treated death interesting with the debate about collateral damage in superhero movies. There's a few deaths when Tony first fights Mallen on the highway, Tony admits to killing fifty terrorists when he made his original escape, and he has to kill Mallen in the end in a manner not unlike Zod in Man of Steel. I can see thematically why Adi Granov is the artist, but his people are too often lifeless and the metallic sheen on everything gets grating.

She Hulk 5-9: Excellent combination of lawyering, superheroing, and sometimes both at the same time. First three issues are pretty solid, but then there's a crossover with Cap and Daredevil that's pretty fantastic. Art style isn't quite my thing, but Wada kills on the covers. Again, this got cancelled, which kinda sucks.

Loki: Agent of Asgard 6-7: Loki goes to Latervia for a crossover with Doom, and a spin into Axis. Like ya do. Ewing does great writing, and the art is pretty solid.

Thor 1: The reboot with the female Thor. Real pretty, the setup is pretty solid, and I'm probably going to at least find the trade, or catch up with whatever's not on MU.

Wolverine and the XMen 3-11: I like Aaron's run over Latour's for the most part, because Aaron has good story and a good artist, and Latour has pretty solidish story, but his artist isn't the greatest for the most part. But the last two issues of this chunk, which are a tie in to the Death of Wolverine, is some real good stuff - everyone remembering Wolverine, and a bunch of artists doing tributes.

Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier 1-2: Ales Kot basically doing a Bucky Barnes comic that I'm pretty sure was written while on an LSD trip, and some real fucking pretty art from Marco Rudy. This should be fun.

X-Force 1-11: Si Spurrier does X-Force. It's more than a little fucked up, and it took me a while to see where the arc of it was going, but hey, when it starts hitting those notes, Si hits them real well. Artist frequently changes, but it's always at least solid.

Elektra 1-7: Oh hey, another neat book that got cancelled. Del Mundo on art for the first five issues of this is pretty fucking amazing, and even if he couldn't keep up on the interior duties, he at least got to stay on the covers. All sorts of fun Elektra assassin times for the story arc, servicable enough.

Avengers #1 FCBD: This team is way too cutesy for me. I appreciate the whole Marvel Universe not being a member of the team, but I don't like the new Captain Marvel or Nova, or Sam as Captain America for that matter.

Burning Fields #4: Middle Eastern Lovecraft.

Convergence Blue Beetle #1: Wow...had to go backa loooooong ways to find characters I want to see in a DC comic again. The Charlton characters all in one book. Sadly no Nightshade or Judomaster, but fun nonetheless. Finally, a couple books here worth reading.

Convergence PLastic Man and the Freedom Fighters #1: The Nazis were able to beat them because of the dome. I liked it. next issue puts them up against the Future's End giant robots or something, so I'm not looking forward to it so much, but this was fun.

Convergence Shazam #1: Fun. As it should be.

Convergence World's Finest #1: The Seven Soldiers of Victory done in the style of Marvels. I adore it. The best thing out of Convergence so far.

Convergence #4: Goddammit, this is bad. I have a theory that almost this whole book is double page spreads because the writer doesn't know how to write a comic script.

Convergence Detective Comics #1: Terrible. Phew...feels good again.

Convergence Infinity Inc. #1: I like these characters, and even though it's a little stilted, I'm excited to see them go up against the weird future Jonah Hex people.

G.I. Joe #8: Not a great end. Of course it was supposed to go 12 issues. It just sort of ends. Sad. This was great.

Jurassic Strike Force 5 FCBD: I seem to recall this from a long time ago. The characters I mean. From the era of TMNT ripoffs. This fucking sucked.

Pisces #1: Jesus...another "trippy" and "hip" sci fi book.

Princess Leia #3: The first issue of this series I haven't really liked.

Quantum and Woody Must Die #4: Holy shit this was fun. Great series.

Scarlett Couture #1: The style of this is great. The story's not great and feels a little nineties, but the Disney style in static comic art is fun.

Sensation Comics... #32: The second half of the story with WW and Poison Ivy versus Typhon. Pretty badass. These are sometimes too short.

Comics: 494

Graphic Novels: 24

I wouldn't be surprised the Convergence guy doesn't know how to write a comic script: apparently he's one of their TV writers who just walked in with the idea and they gave it to him for while they completed the LA move.

Girl Comics 1-3: Quick, sweet short stories done by a bunch of Marvel's women talent from around 2010. A few standouts off the top of my head - the Wolvie/Kitty bar story for her 21st, the Thompson story where Lockjaw is getting chased around Attilan. Interspersed with bios and pinups. Fun mindless read.

Thor 491 - 494: Yup, this is 90s alright. Starts off with a Metropolis tribute, goes full metal with Odin, lots of random not Constantne who ends up not doing much, and Thor and Enchantress doing the sex. Fun little run, just the right length. Art's solid, if a heavy case of 90s.