Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

Big Eyes - Good but not great. Not the better one of Burton's biopics. Adams was good, even if the story being told dictated that she had to be a bit ineffectual for a chunk of the film. Waltz was too cartoony, reminding me of Mark Hamill and not in a way that works for the movie. Krysten Ritter was fun to see, but underused. I did get lost in articles about the subject after seeing it, so I guess that's a good compliment.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Sandlot: the boys are in baseball and so we thought we'd show this to them. It is a fun movie full of all the right things for a kids movie. It's certainly rote and did nothing to break the mold, but it's hard not to like.

Feature Films: 76

Documentaries: 3

Best of the Best 3: No Turning Back

About as by-the-numbers and predictable as it gets. Lacks the lulz factor the first one contains from Eric Roberts and James Earl Jones. Phillipe Rhee vs. Neo Nazis should've been awesome, but it watches like every third Walker Texas Ranger episode ever. Points for Gina Gershon one-film-before-Showgirls appearance and Christopher MacDonald playing a good guy, but doesn't save it worth a damn. Fight scenes are uninspired and no fun as well.

Jurassic World. Pretty damn entertaining. Yes, you can tell who is going to get eaten by a dinosaur when you first meet them. And OK, the 'romantic' subplot - if you can call it that - is so fucking obvious its not even funny.

But apart from that, I thought it was great. Lots of shoutouts to the first movie too.

Batman Returns, for the purposes of the Comic Book Revue Podcast. My pick for the month's review.

Very quickly one remembers that this is the archetypical "style over substance" movie. You can try to critique it on an intellectual level, and should you do so your conclusion can reach no other than the one that says this movie is crap. The story's virtually non-existent, the dialogue can be random as hell, and it's a pretty shoddily done attempt to have the villains team up against Batman I think. That said visually this is to my mind the most engaging Batman live-action film. Batman, Catwoman and the Penguin, for what their individual designs are, all look great. They look either sleek or in Penguin's case justifiably grotesque. His makeup is very good.

The purpose of the movie should not be asking if it makes sense, it should be whether or not you enjoy the ride. There are many reasons to. The performances are all terrific. Absolutely great. DeVito goes for it as the Penguin and honestly disappears into the role for me. Michelle Pfeiffer is perfect as Catwoman. Not exactly the one from the comics because she's a lot darker and uniquely insane, but her voice fits the character so well that she could continue to portray her in animated properties today. Her overall performance is the one to watch. Michael Keaton is, still, one of the best Batmen ever. Moreso for his Bruce Wayne, as I love how understated and nuanced he is. He's never as well written as Bale's Wayne, but there's always that palpable sense to his performance that he's forever bothered by his life, and him being Batman is how he deals with it. Plus, his first scene in the Manor is one of the coolest Batman scenes you'll ever see.

Plus this thing for some reason has Walken in it, which will always be a plus.

What kills the movie for me is how despicably dark and ugly it is as a film, especially a Batman film. Nowadays people online piss and moan about how the Nolan movies are "realistic" and etc., but this is almost hard to watch at times due to how weird and violent this movie gets. Things like the Ice Princess falling to her death on-screen, baby-dumping in the first two minutes, Kentucky Fried Walken, vulgar sex dialogue including exploding the "erogenous zones" of little boys and girls and Catwoman groping Batman's dick in my opinion have no business being in a Batman movie. There's a difference between being "dark" and being "unsavory", and this film crosses it over and over. That's what I take away from the movie overall, not that it's Burtony nonsense or that Batman kills exactly, but that it's just completely unfit as a Batman movie and actively works to insist it.

I'm really of two minds when it comes to this movie. Disliked it as a kid, liked it as a teenager and now I'm back to disliking it. As a fan of Burton and Danny Elfman, this movie saw them become the director and composer that they are today. Great work by the both of them. There's not a single problem with the cast. It has one of the funniest lines in this series, "Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed up like Batman?"

But it's hard to deny that it really is unpleasant. It reminds me of the Elseworlds one-shots, where everything is reimagined almost for the sake of it, and it's very pessimistic. Maybe I've just come to prefer a classic take on Batman, and left the gothic sensibilities in the past.

Drive: I'd honestly put this and Nightcrawler in the same universe, because holy shit, Drive was, at least stylistically, a lot like Nightcrawler. In terms of actual movie, I wasn't as entertained by Drive as I was with Nightcrawler, but I had fun with Drive nonetheless.

Movies Watched: 62

Repeats: 1

Predator: You know, after getting my wisdom teeth out on Friday, I needed a movie like Predator. It's pretty loud, it doesn't treat me like an idiot, and best of all, I know I can go back in a few years and enjoy this movie on a much deeper level than I ever could right now. All in all, I liked this movie.

Films Watched: 63

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Probably the best Marvel film out of all of them, if you ask me.

Films Watched: 64

Until Ant-Man comes out!

Hahahaha!

Deliverance: A reminder of how truly great this film is, and these actors in their prime. Man...

Feature Films: 78

Documentaries: 3