Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Decline of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years: Penelope Spheeris does it again. The film that got her the job of directing Wayne's World. This is filmed over six months between 87 and 88 on the Sunset Strip. It's really crazy how the bulk of the rockers here who are the ones still going are the ones who were already sober, or were never drunks/addicts in the first place. Gene and Paul from KISS, Ozzy, Steven and Joe from Aerosmith, Dave Mustaine and Lemmy are the only ones in this video who don't sound like lunatics. Lemmy is the only one of those who has not gone sober. Most of them got sober right before this movie. Mustaine after, but he was never that much of a lunatic. There's enough insane shenanigans going on without the booze with Paul being interviewed from above while he lays in beds with three hot chicks in lingerie and Gene interviewing in Fredericks of Hollywood with chicks parading by in lingerie. Ozzy, for contrast, is interviewed while he makes his breakfast. It's hilarious how he talks about getting sober and never feeling better when he pours himself a glass of orange juice and three quarters of it ends up on the table. The glut of bands you never heard of talking about "going for it" is a little sad, but judging by their attitudes, it's not surprising. And, of course, there's the notorious Chris Holmes from WASP interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKlZELdJh8

Overall, the first film is by far a better example of a document of a movement in youth culture, but this is a more entertaining film.

Feature Films: 89

Documentaries: 5

The Last King of Scotland: That was a pretty good movie. I mean, it'll kill any good mood you have for about a week, but its still good. Hell, the only reason I haven't seen it sooner was because I was around 12 when it first came out.

Films Watched: 72

Repeats: 1

Decline of Western Civilization Part III: this documentary focuses on LA gutterpunks during a few months from 96-97. This one hit home. These were my friends. My exact scene growing up. I was more a metal guy so I was on the outskirts of all that, but these were the people I found a peer group with. This more than any of the three films focuses on a youth movement. It looks at some bands, but none that you know of as most of them are some form of homeless. No big bands are present and, other than quick interviews with Keith Morris (Black Flag, Circle Jerks and OFF!) and Flea (also a homeless LA youth during the 70s), this focuses completely on a group of interconnected street kids. The bleak painted life of these kids is hard to take for someone who both grew up around that and teaches this exact same clientele today. It's not the funnest or most entertaining, but it is by far the best of the three films, and it's the only one of the three I hadn't seen before tonight. In fact, this box set might be the first time it's been released on home video.

Reckless: a Dutch remake of the extreme British crime flick The Disappearance of Alice Creed. Pretty fucking great. Haven't seen the original. It has Gemma Arterton, so I probably should.

Feature Films: 91

A Horrible Way To Die: the latest in my quest to see everything Adam Wingard directs and Simon Barrett writes. This is a quiet and disturbing little feature with AJ Bowen, probably my favourite actor, as an escaped serial killer. The timeline is loose and the writing is sweet and smart. Great flick.

The Long Hair of Death

The Monster Club

Feature Films: 94

Minions: Pretty fucking funny. I'll never watch it again, but it was a blast this one time.

Feature Films: 95

Edit: Am I the only one who didn't notice that they were speaking a bunch of different languages in the 2 Despicable Me films instead of a non-language?
I caught English, French, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, Japanese and Mandarin (Korean, dummy) for sure.

Kung-Fu Hustle: One of my favorite kung-fu movies of all time. It's fun, has the right amount of drama and over-the-top, and is just so much good action. Love every minute of it.

The Muppets: Every bit of a Muppet movie that I wanted after a decade without one. Still stands up compared to the orignal films, probably somewhere after The Muppet Movie but before The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Feature Films: 52

Direct to DVD: 2

Made-For-TV: 2

Repeats: 3

Riff-Trax Assisted: 1

The Muppets: Every bit of a Muppet movie that I wanted after a decade without one. Still stands up compared to the orignal films, probably somewhere after The Muppet Movie but before The Muppets Take Manhattan.

High praise indeed....

Saying that, I still need to sit down and watch it in full.

Star Wars Episode 4: It has been at least a good ten years since I've seen this movie in full, and oh my god, I have missed it so. It's been said countless times before, but Star Wars is such a good series, and this movie is, without a doubt, the perfect example of that.

Films Watched: 74

Batman vs Robin: This is the best of the New 52 era DC animated films. In fact, it does a lot better job of characterizing Damian in its 80 minutes than the comics ever have. They smashed that together with the Court of Owls and came up with something pretty darned good.

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears.

Feature Films: 98

An Honest Liar: I don't know what my favourite films of 2015 list is going to look like at the end of the year, but I'll be damned if AN HONEST LIAR isn't right up near the top. Wow. I've been a fan and acolyte of James Randi since grade six or seven, but this was enlightening. A beautiful film.

Feature Films: 98

Documentaries: 6

The Taking of Deborah Logan: A nice little Found Footage horror movie. Des, I recommend you cover this on Dread Media if you haven't already.

That's the Alzheimer's one, right? I have been meaning to check that out.

Escape from the Bronx: This is the sequel to 1990: The Bronx Warriors, which I neglected to watch first. Italian post-apocalyptic Escape from NY ripoff. It's glorious, of course.

Feature Films: 99

The Taking of Deborah Logan: A nice little Found Footage horror movie. Des, I recommend you cover this on Dread Media if you haven't already.

That's the Alzheimer's one, right? I have been meaning to check that out.

That's exactly the one.

Her: Really, really interesting. It was good, but certainly really weird.

Films Watched: 76

The Simpsons Movie: Pretty much an extended episode of the show with a way bigger budget. It's a lot of fun and my sons loved it as we're on season 6 of our watch through the show. Their first time; my seventy-fifth. A lot of good gags with a story that they strangely don't wander too much away from.

Wyrmwood: good zombie killin' action.

Feature Films: 101