Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Head (1968): The Criterion Blu-Ray release of the Monkees' theatrical self-destruct button. While there are a handful of really great sequences ("The Porpoise Song" is nicely shot, and "Daddy's Song" is vintage Harry Nilsson "cheerful bouncy music over bleak and upsetting lyrics", and the choreography and camerawork is astonishingly good), for the most part this is a pretentious mess, as the guys are trying way too hard to show how cool and edgy they really are after two years of being goofy and kid-friendly on TV. Most of the songs are decent enough, but most of the non-music sketches are tedious. Looks pretty as hell, though, as Criterion did its usual stellar cleanup job.

Evangelion 2.22: Outside of the new pilot they added, I kinda prefer this course of events. Characters are likable and I feel like Shinji is capable of making a decision.

Totally, I too like the more optimistic take on the characters. The tag at the very end was a GREAT cliffhanger. Unfortunately 3.33 kinda fucks that all up.

Head (1968): The Criterion Blu-Ray release of the Monkees' theatrical self-destruct button. While there are a handful of really great sequences ("The Porpoise Song" is nicely shot, and "Daddy's Song" is vintage Harry Nilsson "cheerful bouncy music over bleak and upsetting lyrics", and the choreography and camerawork is astonishingly good), for the most part this is a pretentious mess, as the guys are trying way too hard to show how cool and edgy they really are after two years of being goofy and kid-friendly on TV. Most of the songs are decent enough, but most of the non-music sketches are tedious. Looks pretty as hell, though, as Criterion did its usual stellar cleanup job.

I was huge into the Monkees during one summer break during high school. I found out that they made a movie and HAD to watch it. I think I made in 20 minutes in and turned it off. I wanted a long TV episodes and I had (and still have) no idea what that movie was.

Searching for General Tso: a light-hearted documentary about the search for the origins of General Tso's Chicken. Most interesting when interviewing Chinese Food Restaurant owners about their experiences rather than the actual search for the dish.

Feature Films: 142

Documentaries: 8

Short films: 2

Rewatches: 2

Dear White People

At the end of the day it's a good movie that knows what it's doing and really lays out several conflicts of identity within the millennial black generation. The quality dips now and then because there are times when the characters are just too cartoonish, just too loud and reactionary to not leave a scene without a fight breaking out. Tessa Thompson's performance as Sam was a solid one but I found her character to be deeply unlikable. It's an open and shut case of a pretentious college student using social issues (in this case racism) to indulge in a more shallow agenda. The movie recognizes that and calls her on it, but that doesn't save her character from being unlikable. All of the other black leads however in terms of performance I loved, especially Tyler Jacob Williams. While some of their characters are broader, they just have more going on inside their head than basic cliches about fitting in or stereotypes. Dennis Haysbert (President fuckin' Palmer) does a really good job as well. S'not a pristine, perfect script but it sticks the landing at the end of the day, and I wish it made more of an impact in the national dialogue than it ended up doing.

The Calamari Wrestler - A Japanese movie about a pro wrestling.  And a giant calamari.  Should be fun.  And it is, for a while.  Going off the sports movie genre, the big match happens about 40 minutes into a 90 minute movie.  The back half was entirely unneeded.  The acting was bad, but when your leads are low level wrestlers and a calamari that tends to be the case.  Really felt like Kaiju Big Battel as well.  Do love me some Kaiju Big Battel.

12 Rounds 3: Lockdown - How do you follow up a bad movie starring Japanese wrestlers?  A bad movie starring an American wrestler of course.  My first foray into the land of bad direct to DVD movies that is WWE Studios.  I knew what I was getting into.  The movie wants to be Die Hard, but is oh so boring and stupid.  And felt so very long. 

I am terrible at choosing movies.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure: a delightfully weird kid's film that still holds up for the most part. My kids really liked it. Elizabeth Daily was super hot.

Turbo Kid: fun. Something was missing though. Maybe 10 minutes too long? Not sure. Bears a rewatch down the line.

Feature Films: 145

Documentaries: 8

You went the extra mile on that one, I like that.

Thanks. I take pride in my work.

Tiny: a documentary about building houses under 100 sq feet. It would be feasible if I was single, and smoked a lot of pot. The movie was kind of boring.

Top Five: Oof...someone watched Birdman and said, "let's strip all the pretentiousness from this" and then ended up taking everything else interesting about it away too. Some fun cameos and it's always nice to see Brian Regan in a movie. Tracy Morgan has the quote of the movie. One of the funniest lines I've heard this year. Other than that it brings up the question of how does one direct a film when they are in 99% of it? The answer: not very well.

Feature Films: 146

Documentaries: 9