The Dark Knight

Missy

Batman returns...to Chicago?

BY CINDY PEARLMAN

Will Batman return to Chicago to shoot on location for a proposed sequel to "Batman Begins," starring Christian Bale again as the Caped Crusader?

Save a parking spot for the Batmobile on Lower Wacker.

"We're definitely talking about doing another Batman," says producer Chuck Roven. "And we love Chicago. My daughter is attending the University of Chicago. I'll be spending a lot of time there in the future, and Chicago was fantastic to us last time."

OK, so you do the Bat-math.

"We really got full use out of converting Chicago into Gotham for 'Batman Begins,' " Roven adds. "It was a very easy process because you have the fantastic architecture."

As for other Bat-rumors, Roven denies he's searching for a new, younger Joker to play Batman's nemesis in the sequel. "The Internet has the Joker cast already," Roven says shaking his head. "The 'Net has also cast the Riddler. It's just all rumors. ... The truth is we haven't even decided who will be the next villain."

He says the nod to the Joker in the current movie "was our way of tipping our hats to the very first Batman movie [in which Jack Nicholson was the Joker]."

As for the status of this sequel, Roven says, "It's up to [director] Chris Nolan and his schedule. He wants to make another movie first."

So far, "Batman Begins" has grossed $360 million worldwide.

What a moron. He doesn't even realize they were "tipping [their] hats" at Batman: Year One. Yeah. Why acknowledge the fucking source material? It's only a comic book. Ugh.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they set it some years after Begins, wouldn't it be a bit premature to do Bane? I can't say I've read much of him, but surely the breaking of Batman would be the best thing to do with Bane and 2 films into the series seems way too early to try and do that.

I'm really hoping they're sticking to the "original rumours" of having the Joker in this sequel whilst introducing Dent as a means of replacing Katie Holmes so that they can build to Two Face in a third (touch wood). I think the producer's bull-shitting as means of keeping fans interested in a "anything could happen" sort of way. Either that or he's a pillock.

I'm really hoping they're sticking to the "original rumours" of having the Joker in this sequel whilst introducing Dent as a means of replacing Katie Holmes so that they can build to Two Face in a third (touch wood).

This is the correct way of doing things.

Moreover, I really liked the way they included 2 (maybe 3, if you count Falcone) villains in Batman Begins. I'd like to see them do that for the rest of the films.

I'm really hoping they're sticking to the "original rumours" of having the Joker in this sequel whilst introducing Dent as a means of replacing Katie Holmes so that they can build to Two Face in a third (touch wood). I think the producer's bull-shitting as means of keeping fans interested in a "anything could happen" sort of way. Either that or he's a pillock.

I'm pretty confident this will happen. It's predictable, but also the right approach, and I'm sure Nolan recognizes this. The producer just doesn't want to lay it all out on the table this early.

I'm really hoping they're sticking to the "original rumours" of having the Joker in this sequel whilst introducing Dent as a means of replacing Katie Holmes so that they can build to Two Face in a third (touch wood).

This is the correct way of doing things.

Moreover, I really liked the way they included 2 (maybe 3, if you count Falcone) villains in Batman Begins. I'd like to see them do that for the rest of the films.

Indeed. And yes, I count Falcone as a major villain.

I also like how they included Victor Zsasz, whom only big Batman marks like us would know. :yes: I hope they do something like that in the sequel, as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Pair of Jokers Revealed

Who might Warners screen test?

by Stax

September 20, 2005 - Batman-on-Film reports that Warner Bros. might be holding a pair of Jokers in their hand. The site claims that there are two actors in the running to play the villain in the next Batman movie. Screen tests for the role will reportedly take place this fall, "although it was unclear if one or both of these actors are testing."

So who are these two would-be Clown Princes of Crime?

According to BoF, the only names bandied about by Warners right now are British thesp Paul Bettany and the relatively unknown Aussie actor Lachy Hulme.

Bettany has appeared in a number of notable films, including Master & Commander and A Beautiful Mind, thus making him recognizable to stateside audiences. He will next be seen as the villainous albino Silas in the big-screen adaptation of The Da Vinci Code.

Hulme appeared in the small role of "Sparks" in Warners' The Matrix Revolutions, as well as in The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course. Hulme will next be seen in Geoffrey Wright's M, a contemporary take on Shakespeare's MacBeth.

Bettany:

Bettany_001.jpg

Hulme:

Hulme_001.jpg

Roven's an idiot when it comes to the creative side. Nobody on the net has seriously discussed the casting of the Riddler, mostly because nobody seems to suspect he'll play any part in the sequel. But he lets Nolan and Goyer do what they want, and that's the most important thing.

Bettany would make a perfect Joker. The only thing that counts against him, is that he's playing another major villain in The Da Vinci Code. That may ruin his whole mystic, and if he isn’t a particularly diverse actor then he may end up acting the same performance twice.

• 3 weeks later...
Villains Set for Batman Sequel?

Nolan speaks, plot rumors and more!

by Stax

October 12, 2005 - Director Christopher Nolan has indeed met with Warner Bros. to discuss his plans for the next Batman movie. This development was acknowledged by Warners production president Jeff Robinov during a recent Q&A with The Hollywood Reporter, as well as by Nolan himself in an interview with About.com.

"Well, it certainly won't be called (Batman Continues). That's the title most commonly thrown at me," Nolan advised About.com. "Actually, I have been talking to the studio and to [screenwriter] David Goyer about directions for a sequel because we're certainly very excited still about the world we were able to dive into and the characters we were able to put on screen. It's a pretty interesting bunch of people and an interesting place, so we're definitely talking about places we would take it."

When asked if the sequel will feature multiple villains, Nolan replied, "I wouldn't want to talk about any specifics per se. All I can really say is it's a film we're talking about doing."

That's not keeping Web sites from buzzing about which villains may be showing up in the movie. A scooper for Batman-on-Film alleges that one unnamed villain "will be an ambiguous mob boss with ties to the late Dr. Thomas Wayne. Another will be an industrial heir not unlike Bruce Wayne - in fact it could be said that he is a dark mirror of Bruce. Over the course of the story, he will be forced to present a new 'face.' And then we have a small, almost cameo type [appearence by a] villain who is considered a 'classic rouge' as a British arms dealer. It may sound a bit crowded, but it all fits together, makes sense, and works much like a comic story arc."

BoF's source says the plot might have "the mob boss and the heir get involved with a major arms deal with the 'British Guy,' while Batman and his allies attempt to foil it. [As a result,] they uncover more of the corruption plauging Gotham. Unfortunatly for both sides, nobody knew there was a Joker in the deck who complicates matters."

(SPOILER WARNING: BoF suggests that these three mystery villains could very well be Salvatore Maroni, Roman Sionis, and Oswald "The Penguin" Cobblepot. Boss Rupert Thorne could also be in the mix instead of one of them.)

Meanwhile, a scooper informs Dark Horizons that "Harvey Dent will be in the film. He won't be Two-Face until the sequel after, but he will be a main part of the next sequel. At the moment, it looks like Liev Schrieber, has got the gig. Also returning are Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Linus Roache. The same effects team, composer James Newton Howard, the same costume designer - all back."

"Couple of new 'secondary' characters (like 'Falcone' was in the last one) here too. One being talked about - Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin. They're working on costume mocks for that now - I don't know that it's for sure that Cobblepot will 'transform' in this one though, or that they're just going to introduce him. They want a (kinda amusing) 'Harvey Weinstein' type - but not necessarily a naturally-fat guy - just someone that can pull it off effectively."

Here's my take on it:

A scooper for Batman-on-Film alleges that one unnamed villain "will be an ambiguous mob boss with ties to the late Dr. Thomas Wayne.

God I hope it's Thorne!

Another will be an industrial heir not unlike Bruce Wayne - in fact it could be said that he is a dark mirror of Bruce. Over the course of the story, he will be forced to present a new 'face.'

Hush, maybe?

And then we have a small, almost cameo type [appearence by a] villain who is considered a 'classic rouge' as a British arms dealer.

The Penguin. Has to be the Penguin.

Someone's posted this as the plot summary for the film up on IMDB.

Gotham City's crime rate grows even worse, as the former inmates of Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane, as well the employee Dr. Crane, aka Scarecrow, are still at large. The worst of them is Jack Napier, a former comedian who is now a psychotic and unpredictable serial killer who calls himself The Joker, leaving behind a Joker playing card at all of his crime scenes. Bruce Wayne must continue to don the cape and cowl of Batman, as together with his ally Lieutenant Gordon he battles this new threat.

Somehow I doubt its validity.

• 3 months later...

This is from Superhero Hype and is someone who is working on the set of 'The Prestige', so take it with a grain of salt.

For the past week, I served as a grip on the set of "The Prestige," and I can tell you that during the lunch break each day Nolan, Bale and Caine have what we refer to on the set as the Batman meetings, where they sit under at a table under a tent away from everyone and discuss the coming abouts of the sequel. While everyone is to keep away from the area, we do find ways to sneak by. And I would just like to point out I have heard the names Paul Bettany followed by Joker and Jake Gyllenhaal followed by Dent. Just thought I'd send that your way, cheers.

God I hope the original rumour of Liev Schrieber was on the money, he would totally own Dent.

• 5 months later...
Heath Ledger to Play The Joker?!

Source: Yurka

July 20, 2006

They scooped everyone on the casting of Brandon Routh in Superman Returns, and now Latino Review says The Joker has been cast in the Batman Begins sequel:

We were first to tell the world that Brandon Routh was going to be the new Superman. Now here we are at it again as we just got word from A VERY TRUSTED SOURCE that the offer last night was officially made to Heath Ledger to star as The Joker in the Batman Begins Sequel!

Heath Ledger to Play The Joker?!

Source: Yurka

July 20, 2006

They scooped everyone on the casting of Brandon Routh in Superman Returns, and now Latino Review says The Joker has been cast in the Batman Begins sequel:

We were first to tell the world that Brandon Routh was going to be the new Superman. Now here we are at it again as we just got word from A VERY TRUSTED SOURCE that the offer last night was officially made to Heath Ledger to star as The Joker in the Batman Begins Sequel!

Beat me to it!

Personally I would love to see them cast Mark Hamill. If there is anyone who has the character of the Joker down already it is him, and his voice is the one I will always hear in my head when I read the Joker's dialogue. I think with the right makeup he is totally capable of pulling it off.

Although, part of me hopes that the Joker is not actually going to show up in the next movie. I feel like one of the major strengths of Batman Begins is that they went with characters that the general public would not know, only people who sit around and talk about comic book movies on message boards *shifty eyes* would recognize them when they saw them.

In the second movie I certainly hope that they have less Bat-Tank. Man I hated that thing in the first movie, very cool, but very not Batman.