The Dark Knight

Missy

If they didn't attach a love interest such as they did by adding Miss Dawes, then they could have shown Bruce training in a faithful manner.

So, take out Rachael and the love interest. So the movie losses one character and one plot line. By furthering the training scenes you kinda add in a plot line. However, Bruce need to be trained in many different areas and by many different people. These trainers would be adding in characters that would get crammed in and not get any sense of development. It would almost go into a training montage area that no one would like.

Bottom line question here is how long do you want this movie to be? I see no way you can add in all the training and not get to a 3+ hour movie.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they didn't attach a love interest such as they did by adding Miss Dawes, then they could have shown Bruce training in a faithful manner.

Elsewhere you've said Talia should have been in the film, but you're also saying Bruce shouldn't have had a lover. You can't have it both ways.

I said it was wrong to leave her out of a Ra's al Ghul story.

Having Talia being a love interset is far better than Miss Dawes because Talia is an established character.

So, take out Rachael and the love interest. So the movie losses one character and one plot line. By furthering the training scenes you kinda add in a plot line. However, Bruce need to be trained in many different areas and by many different people. These trainers would be adding in characters that would get crammed in and not get any sense of development. It would almost go into a training montage area that no one would like.

Bottom line question here is how long do you want this movie to be? I see no way you can add in all the training and not get to a 3+ hour movie.

There's nothing wrong with a three plus hour Batman movie if it was done right, I'd sit throught it as long as it was done right.

Having Talia being a love interset is far better than Miss Dawes because Talia is an established character.

Which way do you want it: do you want there to be a love story or not? You've said both.

Talia is established to us: comic book readers. But the majority of the people who see comic book movies don't read comics, so most of the characters (outside of the iconic ones) aren't established in their minds. To them, Talia would have been just as new as Rachel Dawes.

There's nothing wrong with a three plus hour Batman movie if it was done right, I'd sit throught it as long as it was done right.

Studios tend to frown at movies that push or break three hours, because it means less screenings, which means less money. Another thing to consider is that most moviegoers can't sit through a film that long.

Which way do you want it: do you want there to be a love story or not? You've said both.

Talia is established to us: comic book readers. But the majority of the people who see comic book movies don't read comics, so most of the characters (outside of the iconic ones) aren't established in their minds. To them, Talia would have been just as new as Rachel Dawes.

Studios tend to frown at movies that push or break three hours, because it means less screenings, which means less money. Another thing to consider is that most moviegoers can't sit through a film that long.

Preferably, no love story and definitely not one with a love interest that is attached for the general audience, those who are not familiar with the Batman.

Nolan didn't contribute anything really new to the mythos that can be considered good. Dawes wasn't. Scarecrow was a joke.

Are you tryin' to tell me people don't want to see a Batman movie in Batman acts like how the Batman should, a well written crime story, and villains be translated to film as they should be and not fractions of what they are instead?

The point he's making is that they can't be the direct shot for shot recreations of the comics that you're expecting them to be. Film is a different medium, and compromises are taken.

Considering how horribly Batman has been handled in the past, it boggles my mind that people can still find something to complain about after it's been improved to such an extent.

Let it be known, I'm not the biggest fan of the Nolan movies either. Begins in particular bored the shit out of me, but as long as the creators are showing that they give a shit about the characters, I'm fine with certain things being off. It's made for a different audience.

Guest DCAUFan1051

AMEN I will never sit at a theater ever again for a Titanic type film anything over 2:99 it's wayyyyyy toooo damn long :D

Nolan didn't contribute anything really new to the mythos that can be considered good. Dawes wasn't. Scarecrow was a joke.

How was Scarecrow a joke exactly? They got a great actor to play him and followed his origin and modus operdandi really well. Hell, even his look was slick.

But, wait, he was in a suit and not in a straw hat and he should have had straw and a pitchfork. Also, the ears on Batman's cowl were three tenths of an inch too short compared to the Year One art.

Movies =/= Comic Books. Hell, they're not even close. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both very solid movies, but just because they're NOT the Killing Joke or Long Halloween, they must suck, right?

Are you tryin' to tell me people don't want to see a Batman movie in Batman acts like how the Batman should, a well written crime story, and villains be translated to film as they should be and not fractions of what they are instead?

I think the disconnect here is that a lot of people, me included, think that we did get all of those things.

How was Scarecrow a joke exactly? They got a great actor to play him and followed his origin and modus operdandi really well. Hell, even his look was slick.

But, wait, he was in a suit and not in a straw hat and he should have had straw and a pitchfork. Also, the ears on Batman's cowl were three tenths of an inch too short compared to the Year One art.

Movies =/= Comic Books. Hell, they're not even close. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both very solid movies, but just because they're NOT the Killing Joke or Long Halloween, they must suck, right?

They didn't tell The Scarecrow's origin, they left that out entirely.

A burlap sack doesn't cut it. The Scarecrow has always worn an entire scarecrow costume. Always. I very much liked how he looked in the animated series. For a live action version, he should wear a full scarecrow costume, and have a wicked, long scythe.

I'm not asking for the entireity of the stories from classics to be told, although that would be nice. Putting together 'The Man Who Falls' and 'Year One' is what they should have done with 'Batman Begins.' Though, I haven't been to happy with some of Miller's contributions in 'Year One.'

I've come in late. Is this a bit? Did I walk in on a sketch of some sort?

Have you seriously managed to find something to complain about regarding the way Nolan treats the property? There wasn't enough origin story? Half the first movie was devoted to the origin story. Well, no, he didn't fight a ninja on a volcano. That would have been cooler.

There was a love story. That's how it is. Studios don't greenlight movies without one. Katie Holmes was miscast and that Maggie Gyllenhall didn't have nearly enough reason to be there, but there will never be a pre-production meeting where someone suggests taking out the female character and replacing her scenes with shots of the main character practicing tai chi or making waffles or getting frustrated at the sudoku puzzle in that day's paper. Batman - sorry, the Batman - is going to have to kiss girls in his movies. (Or boys. I'm open.)

If you're looking for a shot-for-shot remake of a comic story, especially one with sixty-nine years of backstory, you're going to have an unwatchable pile of nonsense that no one will ever, ever want to watch. Even movies like Sin City and 300, which came the closest, had to take certain liberties in order to make the stories work for a different medium.

Or we could go back to Batman and Robin, if that's cooler.

Honestly Feral One, I keep trying to see where you're coming from, but stuff like "Scarecrow should have had a full scarecrow outfit and a big scythe" and "Wolverine should have been running around in yellow and blue spandex" just make me :huh:

He's not wearing spandex, dammit! Do you recall what the X-Men wore in Singer's movies? Black leather. Do you know how difficult it would be to move in such attire and the heat exhaustion that comes with it?

Form-fitting wear is the proper way to go, with the colours matching up with the colours on the costumes in the comics. Yeah, it maybe difficult to portray Wolverine in his gold and blue costume, but the brown and tan costume shouldn't pose as difficult of a task.