The Dark Knight

Missy

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And England is on the globe, isn't it?

Alright! I give up! It was the greatest present ever.

Kids today don't appreciate anything. When I was your age, all my parents could aford to give me was a map.

When you were my age they thought a map was an accurate representation of a flat earth.

The only Golden Globe nomination this movie received was for Heath Ledger for Best Supporting Actor

...And so it begins.

I'm just gonna say it, I can name three people in that movie who deserve that nod more than Ledger. His Joker was different, and funny, but I really think that it was more about the look given to him by make-up and the script that Goyer and Nolan churned out. His performance was nothing special.

Caine, Eckhart and Oldman were all better in their roles than Ledger. I don't think they really deserve the nod, per se, but they deserve it more than he does. Eckhart had the most demanding role of the three, and he really showed the serious edge that I've been waiting for, since seeing him in 'Thank You For Smoking.' He rolls with the cocksure, confident nature of Harvey Dent, so well. And when his time came for the turn, his pain was right there, palpable, making him an incredibly sympathetic Two-Face.

Caine and Oldman both show the fact that they're 'old hands', taking relatively simple parts and imbuing them with life and heart. Caine especially brings the fatherly sensiblity that Alfred has been lacking in almost every interpretation, (besides B:TAS). Oldman's Gordon is a beacon in a sea of corruption and I only wish he had a Bullock to play off of. Seriously. That's the only flaw in his performance, at all. Both of these guys just do every little thing right.

And Ledger... wasn't bad. But his character had no depth, it required no skill. It was just "recite cool monologue in a threatening way" mixed with "black humor".

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Ledger's Joker, because I did. It's one of the best adaptations of the character I've ever seen, but all the same, it's not as good as most people would have you believe, either.

(To be fair, Ledger was far more on in this film than Bale was. Bale is a tremendous Batman, but this felt like a HUGE step down from him, compared to Batman Begins.)

Agreed with what you said about Bale. He was downright bad in this one compared to BB.

Oldman and Cain are two of my favorite actors and they were slumming in this film. They didn't perform to the level of Ledger. Granted, I don't think anyone deserves an Oscar for this film besides the composers of the score.

If you download the script, you'll see that there's more than a bit of ad-libbing on Ledger's part. I think people declaring the awards for Ledger may be overstating things due to his untimely demise (because people have been yelling that since seeing the flipping trailers before TDK was even released), but saying the performance was nothing special is a tad unfair.

Arguably, you could say that Oldman and Eckhart are good rivals for Ledger in the Best Supporting nomination, but part of the awards decision-making process seems to take into account the buzz generated by a person in the role. Both men I've mentioned were excellent in their roles, but they've been overshadowed by Ledger. Not to the extent where they've been hugely overlooked or underrated for their work, but TDK is always going to synomynous with Ledger in the way Brandon Lee is with The Crow.

EDIT: (Bah, late to the punch).

Granted, I don't think anyone deserves an Oscar for this film besides the composers of the score.

Honestly, I didn't dig the score that much, outside of the chase scene with the semi. But, then again, I tend to hate everything.

And Ian:

The buzz effecting the perception of the actors is what bothers me so much. As an actor (Wow, that didn't sound pompous or anything. :P), I'd hate to be in Eckhart's shoes, right now. He's arguably (to most) as good as Ledger in the film, but he'll be completely overlooked, just because he didn't die in an Olsen Twin's bathroom. I may be unfairly understating Ledger, I suppose, but it just seems like his part was less demanding.

I just watched this movie on DVD and Bale's surfer grunt was so distracting I couldn't help but laugh. It's a good movie, but it ambushes you with so much going-ons that I felt like I just overate a super-rich cake and I'm regretting it badly. Taking away the last 1/3 part of the movie (ie. Harvey's transformation) would have left me just as satisfied.

Batman 3 news

http://www.mania.com/comics2film-batspecia...cle_111641.html

Date: Monday, December 08, 2008

Source: Various

With the DVD release coming this week and a return to the big screen in January, 'The Dark Knight' is a hot topic once more. Here's a roundup of the latest buzz on the most successful superhero movie of all time.

Nolan says a DARK KNIGHT sequel can wait

Christopher Nolan is out promoting the debut of 'The Dark Knight' on DVD and Blu-Ray. Naturally he's fielding a lot of questions about the inevitable sequel.

"I don't know why [sequels are] hard to do," Nolan told USA Today in a recent interview. "Maybe there's so much expectation to them. But I wouldn't want to do one if it weren't going to be as good as the first or second. That's not respectful to the fans."

Noland revealed he's begun thinking about an outline for the third movie, but he's far from moving forward with developing it, in spit of Warner Bros eagerness to strike while the Batman iron is white hot.

"It was obvious when the box office was so big that we had underestimated how ready fans were to reboot the franchise," he says. "The worst thing you could do now that you've gotten the plane back in the air is mess up the landing."

That sounds like that kind of stuff he was saying after Batman Begins yet the he was in the process of writing a script and casting the whole time.

Warner Brothers is smart enough to just let Nolan do what he wants.

Normally I'd disagree with this statement, as WB have a track record of mis-using their comic book properties, but given how well the film did at the box office, they'd be mad not to leave things in Nolan's hands.

Warner Brothers is smart enough to just let Nolan do what he wants.

Normally I'd disagree with this statement, as WB have a track record of mis-using their comic book properties, but given how well the film did at the box office, they'd be mad not to leave things in Nolan's hands.

BB can be seen as a fluke but TDK bought Nolan all the cred Hollywood has to offer. He's a big boy now, we should be happy he's still interested in Batman at all.

Nolan made one of the best grossing movies ever.

The man can write a picture about some guy sitting in a chair looking in a mirror saying "I feel pretty today" and WB would put money hand over fist for him to make it.

I still have to sit down and watch the DVD, but the companion book I have is great as it has the initial ideas for certain things and the full shooting script.

I feel that two-face does feel a little rushed though.

But the fact that he had that nickname before the accident was genius.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Between 1989 and now there really have only been 2 live action Jokers. And in their respective time periods and films they both knocked the performance out of the park. Jack was great as the Joker in the 89 Batman he was off the wall crazy and even though that movie is campy and bad he almost makes up for it with the laugh he does. Outside of Mark Hamill's voice work I've not seen a better Joker done then Ledger's performance whether it be live action or animated.

And anyone that says otherwise is smokin some bad grass. Ledger's Joker was in your face and just downright evil.

As far as Bale as Batman throughout the movie his voice was just way to gravely as Batman.... not just at the end of the film.

All that said The Dark Knight will be a great addition to my DVD collection and even though it's not a movie I could watch every weekend I could watch it every three months or so.

As far as awards and everything welll..... my theory on the whole award season is that they are fixed!!! a majority of the stars/musicans whatever that are announced with appearances in the commericals are the ones getting the awards. For example

Best Voice Actor:

Kevin Conroy

Mark Hamill

John Erwin

Tim Daly

Peter Cullen

out of those choices whomever actually showed up at the awards ceremony would get it regardless of talent.

Anyway I'll cut this short all in all TDK gets a 10/10 from me :D