Which was worse?

Missy

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Spider-Clone Saga was so fucking convoluted that it basically ruined Spider-Man comics for years. This is basically the entire thing in a nutshell:

Peter is in the Scarlet Spider costume, and Ben is in prison because Peter is supposed to be serving time? And as it turns out, Peter is Ben and Ben is Peter? Oh wait! They changed their minds! Peter is Peter! Ben is the clone! Or is he...

It started out with such promise, but the Marvel writers just totally fucked it up and made it so no one really knew what the fuck was going on.

Spider-Man: Clone Saga will always be the worse story arc in comics in my opinion. Period. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to say, "Hey, I know what the readers will like, how about we tell them that the Spider-Man that they've known and loved for decades isn't really even Spider-Man." The worse part though, was the fact that someone in Marvel thought it was a good idea and okayed it.

The clone saga was also poory written, had horrible story elements, and was almost to convoluted fo it's own good. Even without the head-ache inducing ending, it still would have been a horrible storyline.

• 9 months later...

You know what cracks me up? I think, minus the clone stuff, Ben Reily is the perfect Joey Q Spider-man.

No convoluted backstory, no mj, new costume, new tricks, etc. I just think its funny. Although I think that superman red/blue was silly. from having the most iconic powers and costume to being a second rate Electro?

You know what cracks me up? I think, minus the clone stuff, Ben Reily is the perfect Joey Q Spider-man.

No convoluted backstory, no mj, new costume, new tricks, etc. I just think its funny.

Yup. Ben is so terribly underrated as a character, and his potential was limitless. Too bad the length and overall zaniness of the Clone Saga (and Wizard Magazine's constant panning of it) basically killed the character before fans had a chance to really get to know him.

Welcome to the boards, by the way!

Age of Apocalypse made me realize that the X-books were just too depressing

to warrant reading.

You think that's depressing? The first issue I ever read was the death of Illyana to the legacy virus. Seriously, she was like 10. I thought it was a rule that you can't kill kids.

You think that's depressing? The first issue I ever read was the death of Illyana to the legacy virus.

Same here! The very first X-book I ever read was Uncanny X-Men #303, the death of Illyana.

That's spooky.

I was hooked, and not long after that, Wizard came out with an all X-Men special that listed every character, and all the major events from the book. I studied that until I knew everything about the X-Men.

• 4 weeks later...
You think that's depressing? The first issue I ever read was the death of Illyana to the legacy virus.

Same here! The very first X-book I ever read was Uncanny X-Men #303, the death of Illyana.

In retrospect, I was wrong. The very first X-related book I ever purchased was Excalibur #3 (and then 4). My first issue of Uncanny X-Men, however, remains the same.

I find it funny that the Azrale Batman is mentioned and no mention of the Return of the Supermen.

Personally, the whole Knightfall thing was great. The Death of Superman was okay for the most part but failed in many respects.

Azrael transferred himself into the "mantle of the bat" as he put it and dispensed his own brand of justice. It allowed for the great character development of Tim Drake to shine through. Remember that Tim was still relatively new and had barely distinguished himself. He was just a kid who wanted to be Robin.

His concern over Azrael really told us that he wanted to live up to the ideals of the original Batman and that he was truly different than Jboth Jason Todd and Dick Grayson.